THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why can't they just leave people in peace???

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by aman
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I don't understand the logic of this. It they are evicted from this house they will not vanish into the ether. They will need to be housed in another home thus taking a home away from someone else.

All the people in the country need to be homed in some kind of structure. Surely it is better that they are self reliant and low impact.
    It's only the 21st century. Rules are not yet joined up.

Sex
    Male

I don't understand the logic of this. It they are evicted from this house they will not vanish into the ether. They will need to be housed in another home thus taking a home away from someone else.

All the people in the country need to be homed in some kind of structure. Surely it is better that they are self reliant and low impact.

Paul
    the lodgic is straight forward. They are safeguarding the longterm character or land adjacent to a water course. By not allowing this development to become permanent. They are reducing the possibility of neighbouring properties doing similar.
    Of course they could just be thinking of the Council tax they will be collecting and some more money going into the pocket of a landlord and the Tax the landlord will be paying, plus any services attached to the rented property.
    Last edited by alices wonderland; 01-03--2017 at 11:40 PM.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    I believe hundred of thousands of rich people would live in a humble abode or a small caravan if they could then build something THEY considered to be their ideal home. Yes absolutely, No doubt about it and a lot would if they could put it straight on the market and make so much money that they would do it again and again. With the profit they made they would invest in land or property in other Counties or Countries. If you think that there isn't more people with homes already just waiting for the opportunity to invest in land to build property or even a small plot that will allow planning permission. You must have your head in the sand. There's enough,hippies, pikey's, gypsies, off grinders, small holders, eco friendlies, travellers. Homeless. Boat dwellers, mobile homers, horsey folk. Speculators, investors already up for it, that would change the fabric of England within a few years.
    No head in the sand.I'm thinking more on the lines of.....low impact sustainable,enviromentally friendly homes.I'm not suggesting for one minute,let everyone do what they want to do with NO guidelines.If those guidelines were in place,for example,allowing those to build in a non residential area,carefully sited so as not to affect any natural water ways etc,and the dwelling kept to an agreed size blah blah blah,not many people would take that opportunity.Modern housing as we know it,does'nt suit everyone,and why should it really?We're all different.I have friends who live in yurts etc in a forest in Scotland,and have done so for years.They act as the stewards,and are left alone.

One life, live it
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    If you let one person get away with it, hundreds, thousands will want to follow and everything will get screwed. That's what laws are for.
    Sadly, that's the truth of it, its not about them its about all the others who would follow their example but not with their ethic.

There are ways round it like crofting for example. My cousin lives off grid in an old croft in Scotland which they bought and put a new roof on. I have never been there to see it but I get the impression its about as basic as that hut
    Last edited by Bernie; 02-03--2017 at 09:47 AM.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Bernie
    Sadly, that's the truth of it, its not about them its about all the others who would follow their example but not with their ethic.
    Whatever the ethic, it is bound to fail, people are not perfect but we have two things in common, we live under the law, and we pollute our environment. This is not virgin territory to be settled like the Wild West, this is a populous country which needs its wild places, not the endless favela which would result from a hundred years of random settlement.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Sex
    Female
    Well I really don't know what the answer is then.Back in 2006,we lived in a rental,in a fairly large town.There was a field behind us(a pocket of land,if you like,between us,and the other side of town)In the 3 yrs we lived there,quite often,looking out my back bedroom window,I'd spot deer crossing that field,a wide variety of bird life etc.Just before we moved,I noticed land surveyors parked up in that field.I knew what they were up to.A year later?Field was completely covered in housing!I know this is abit of a diff subject,but people have to live somewhere! I still believe the majority of people would choose to live in a more modern way,in conventional housing with all the home comforts,especially in this country anyway.
    I'm guessing then Bryn you don't agree with eco villages such as Lammas?

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Cobra
    I'm guessing then Bryn you don't agree with eco villages such as Lammas?
    You miss your guess Cobra! I'm 100% for Lammas and the Welsh OPD initiative. Here's a link for yours:

Sex
    Female
    So explain the difference between those who choose to live within an eco village set up to those who choose the same way of life but are totally independant?

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Cobra
    So explain the difference between those who choose to live within an eco village set up to those who choose the same way of life but are totally independant?
    In a word, planning. One is planned, with input from local authority, neighbours, etc etc, resulting in decently built dwelling in appropriate places. The other is done on a whim, and by the look of it is a death trap, I know, their choice, but ...

Have a read of the OPD link. This one too, the difference will become apparent.

Sex
    Male

PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, NomadicRT, r3ubs

The sad fact is you will never beat the planners, they want everyone to conform, this lovely couple don't stand a chance. Better to live in a van when you have land then you can move around a bit and stay on your land a bit, that way the planners can't do much, you have to play the game as one planner told me.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Offgrid hero, r3ubs, Wulfie

Sex
    Male
    You need to do it secretly and be very careful who you let into your life

I don't trust anyone

paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Offgrid hero, Wulfie

Sex
    Male
    Must apologise but I was going to do a triple facepalm when I saw this and thought of these poor fkrs losing their homes due to ungreen (can't think of the right word) fascist dicktators like Trump and his cnutish policies who've no sense of the respect of nature. Planners can be dicktators.

Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: dollybassett, NomadicRT

You need to do it secretly and be very careful who you let into your life

I don't trust anyone

paul

You are right not to trust anyone, people just love phoning someone up to dob you in.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, NomadicRT

Sex
    Female
    Signed and shared .. just wish people could be left alone to live as they wish..
    What gives you the idea that because I have nothing I am unhappy?
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by dollybassett
    The sad fact is you will never beat the planners, they want everyone to conform, this lovely couple don't stand a chance. Better to live in a van when you have land then you can move around a bit and stay on your land a bit, that way the planners can't do much, you have to play the game as one planner told me.
    Planners are not free agents whose mission in life is to spoil your day, they have the responsibility of implementing planning law and ensuring that procedures are followed, fees paid, lawbreakers evicted, or on occasion, prosecuted wich may result even in imprisonment. I know planners personally and I know people who have had difficulties with 'em, I'm one myself. I also know a man who was locked up because of a wicked breach of planning law, something which would in his case attract no sympathy whatever on this forum (or from me). And I have lived, and know people who live, and/or have lived, in shall we say informal accomodation, either tents, trailers, caravans or dwellings of their own construction.

Let us assume that the people concerned in this case are in fact a "lovely couple". No problems there, most of the people in teh world are nice, and "lovely" is a great but not rare quality. Maybe some of the planners, court officials, journalists, neighbours, etc involved in the case are also "lovely", I hope that they are, and that whatever is done is done with compassion.

"you will never beat the planners, they want everyone to conform". Now it's my turn to facepalm. Of course they do, it's in the name, "planners". Their job is to implement planning law which is the same for all of us. It's not about beating the planners, it's about not ignoring the law with such screamingly obvious consequences. OK, if you consider yourself to be part of an outlaw nation, great, no point in dialogue, I'll shut up.

The other thing is that if we all did it, the country would be in the shit...literally. We are talking about the green fringes of a densely populated country, not the open savannah.

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    The law may be the same for all of us but the wealthy or majority rule method of deciding upon rules doesn't take into account those of us that don't fit within those strict rules. I really don't think everybody wants to live like these people do, it's not easy, so why can't there be exceptions for those of us that want something different?
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by FriedOnion
    The law may be the same for all of us but the wealthy or majority rule method of deciding upon rules doesn't take into account those of us that don't fit within those strict rules. I really don't think everybody wants to live like these people do, it's not easy, so why can't there be exceptions for those of us that want something different?
    Today a self contained micro building can be bought and placed almost anywhere. Soon as permission is granted, then the other rights are requested, postal delivery, rubbish collection. Taxi pick up, pizza delivery, services. When the kids grow up, they need/want hope for another build/unit adjacent, preferably just over the fence to accomadate the girlfriend/son and grandkids, a place they too can call their own. What started with a few off grid unsettled folk, turns into a community just like the others, settled urban sprawl. If we only look at this kind of settlement from a affordable option. Then the price of land will go through the roof, pricing even the most dedicated genuine crofter/off-grider/small holder out of any future dream. We will collectively rape the countryside. Instead if a a family requiring 250 square meters to lay under a roof, park two cars and have a road leading upto the property. 2 acres will be the norm for a settlement and more roads than we have now.
    Last edited by alices wonderland; 05-03--2017 at 04:27 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Sex
    Male
    I'm just checking.

This is still a hippy forum isn't it?

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, FriedOnion, NomadicRT, Offgrid hero, r3ubs, Wulfie

Sex
    Male
    There should be a simple provision in planning for modest low impact dwellings, like a rolling temporary holiday let agreement,if you meet certain criteria like visual impact/pollution/access then you get it, pay council tax and it's returned to how it was before ownership is transferred or something it can't be too difficult.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Cobra, NomadicRT

Sex
    Male

I'm just checking.

Paul
    it says so on the tin, but since when did hippies get special privileges? From my reconning it's always been tits up and against what would be perfectly feasible out in the desert, loads a room to park up a cranky sound system strapped to the roof of a beatup bus. Hippies mostly dossed on a mates floor from what I remember. Ownership was something they shy away from. Perfect planet and leave it for the growy things man.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    There should be a simple provision in planning for modest low impact dwellings, like a rolling temporary holiday let agreement,if you meet certain criteria like visual impact/pollution/access then you get it, pay council tax and it's returned to how it was before ownership is transferred or something it can't be too difficult.
    there should be more state run official parkups that are affordable to those with zero regular income and not based long enough to claim HB
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero, Uncle jhad

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

I'm just checking.

Paul
    I wonder that too, and I don't mean just this thread
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Cobra, FriedOnion, Offgrid hero

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    there should be more state run official parkups that are affordable to those with zero regular income and not based long enough to claim HB
    Surely not, what will happen to the house prices?!?!!?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra