THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Our Woodpecker friend

Sex
    Male

Our Woodpecker friend

A couple of pictures of the woodpecker which has been visiting our garden for a few years now, These are early pictures of him. He's quite a bit larger now. I'll take some more better pictures shortly as there are two of them now.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Danann, Miss_bee, nicklincs, NomadicRT, Rick69

Sex
    Female
    Beautiful birds,we have a green woodpecker that we regularly see scavenging for grubs etc on the hill behind the van,or heard screeching overhead xx

Sex
    Male
    Wow, I didn't even know there were green woodpeckers. You'll have to post a picture so I can see it.

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Green woodies st the last place i was at..jays too..after the ants on the anthills...lovely birds.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Sex
    Male
    Green woodpeckers are our largest (of 3 species) of woodpecker + are more terrestrial than the other 2, often seen feeding on ant hills. They are fairly common in the London area even in the central London parks. They have a very distinctive call called a yaffle which sounds quite exotic. Lovely looking birds.

Sex
    Male
    Lovely looking birds but play bleeding havoc with my nest boxes. 😊

Sex
    Female
    Lovely! Have only ever seen green ones ..

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    We frequently see the
    (like yours) at close range, that red colour is unmissable.

The
    is around, but more often heard than seen.

Sex
    Female
    Wo
    Soooo...Soooo...Very Beautiful And You Be Sooo Very Blessed Too
    )
    Form From The Void & Mists

Sex
    Male
    Walking though our local park (west London 'burbs) there were 2 green woodpeckers on the short turf, both actively feeding as we walked through. Must be plenty of ants for them.

Earlier in the day I'd been buying plants (especially good nectar plants for insects) at the Syon Gardens centre when I could hear a great-spotted Woodpecker drumming + also a nuthatch busy calling. These look like mini woodpeckers but aren't related, Always great birds to watch but didn't see this one today.

Transcending
    Sex
    Male
    You can help your local woodpeckers by wiring up deadwood to a healthy tree. Standing deadwood is a valuable woodland habitat that is sadly often removed due to safety concerns.