THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Budget help!

Make a big pot of "soup" within anything you can scrape together. Serve with bread day one. Day 2 thicken it, spice it and serve with rice or pasta or whatever you have and serve as curry. Day 3 stick it between pasta sheets and a bit of white sauce and serve as lasagne.
    I have a very very small budget and apart from sourcing reduced food I make large amounts of what I call "basics" that can be frozen in portions to suit your family size, defrosted and embellished as above.
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, nicklincs, Wulfie

Another tip I thought of a while ago, if you need motivation to save money on things you regularly buy, then think of them in terms of an annual bill.
    For example, I worked out that my annual beer bill is just over 600 - way more than vehicle insurance, but it's spread out over the year in such a way that it isn't so easily noticed. I like my real ale, so by home-brewing, I can get that annual bill down to less than 100.
    My annual 'ready meal' bill (from the supermarket) was just over 500, mostly due to laziness and lack of planning. All these things are massive opportunities for savings for me, more so than the usual annual bills such as gas/insurance etc.

Challenge for anyone: think of something you use regularly, then work out its cost as an annual 'bill'. You might be surprised
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, Wulfie

Tuning In
    your at home lookin after your nipper but when both of you are at home you could get a evening job , chippy , pub , pt shelf stacker in a supermarket, cleaner.

you are responsible nobody is going to give it too you
    cheap food ect is not your answer you need more cash
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by andyvw
    Another tip I thought of a while ago, if you need motivation to save money on things you regularly buy, then think of them in terms of an annual bill.
    For example, I worked out that my annual beer bill is just over 600 - way more than vehicle insurance, but it's spread out over the year in such a way that it isn't so easily noticed. I like my real ale, so by home-brewing, I can get that annual bill down to less than 100.
    My annual 'ready meal' bill (from the supermarket) was just over 500, mostly due to laziness and lack of planning. All these things are massive opportunities for savings for me, more so than the usual annual bills such as gas/insurance etc.

Challenge for anyone: think of something you use regularly, then work out its cost as an annual 'bill'. You might be surprised
    I do not want to work out how much I spend a year on WEED thank you very much

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: andyvw

Originally Posted by dollybassett
    No wonder the NHS is on it's knees if this is what people do to eat, it wouldn't even enter my mind to defraud a system like that.
    Take a look on eBay. There's pages full of them and there the same sellers every fortnight.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    I do not want to work out how much I spend a year on WEED thank you very much
    I've been shown the best alcohol acquiring scam ever for beer drinkers who like to purchase cans of beer in packs of 24. It works at most big supermarkets and it's all above board if there was ever a question raised. I'm not going to put it on a public forum as a few I know feed their habit for free anywhere in the Country. Just ask me in person when you see me.

its a shame I don't drink alcohol, although with this being so easy, I've seriously considered starting again.

Free-spirited mammy nataliejay26's Avatar
    Thanks for all these tips, and I definitely can't wait to try some of the recipes. WREKAGE thanks for your comment but I'm not looking for anyone to give me anything, I have been looking for work recently but working around my husband's hours is proving a little difficult, he works 8.30am to around 7pm then back downstairs doing ordering and paperwork till 11pm ish. We receive no benefits etc and most of the time we're ok but we've just had a difficult time recently, but thanks for the comment anyway. X

Heavenly Creature
    Another good place to go is street markets as they close. Even the posh markets like Burough Market throw out masses of veg at the end of the day, especially before a day they are closed.
    Borough (near the City of London) is amazing, all organic. There's a little mafia of old ladies that are always there. I got in with them as the carrier bag tax came in. I was picking up bags by the fistful when they were still free. I payed my way at Borough with them!
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Tuning In

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    I've been shown the best alcohol acquiring scam ever for beer drinkers who like to purchase cans of beer in packs of 24. It works at most big supermarkets and it's all above board if there was ever a question raised. I'm not going to put it on a public forum as a few I know feed their habit for free anywhere in the Country. Just ask me in person when you see me.

its a shame I don't drink alcohol, although with this being so easy, I've seriously considered starting again.
    what a tease .... come on pipe up.

Originally Posted by WREKAGE
    what a tease .... come on pipe up.
    I'm not putting it on the internet. From here on in I'm distancing myself from it. Those of you who pm'd I will get it in the post. Just think on. The more who know about it, the more it will be monitored. I was totally unaware of the other stuff that can be acquired this way. With not drinking beer I hadn't tried it out myself. Didn't think about the other soft drinks. Thanks for the heads up. I stopped answering the phone in the afternoon. It was disturbing me from getting the work done. I will defiantly try it out on the bottled water. That I can make use of & I don't think any shop would become suspicious if I filled a trolley up with bottled water unlike (you know who!) You certainly put it to the test. Wreckage I'll tell you round a fire or get one of the others to send it to you by post.

I'm with Dolly on the NHS issue.I worked for the NHS for 7 yrs.Quit in the end due to so many budget cuts,lack of staffing and changes made in my contract to cover those shifts I had no staff for.Sorry Alice but suggesting people use the scripts to make money is not helping the NHS.Will you be happy to part with your hard earned cash to fund private health care?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Originally Posted by wandering gypsy
    very noble of you dolly, but some have to take these measures to survive
    Yeah?Like what?Getting a job perhaps?
    Last edited by Cobra; 09-03--2017 at 03:20 PM.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    wash your mouth out with soap cobra, get a job ? not had one for years and I dont claim benefits
    The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad

Originally Posted by Cobra
    I'm with Dolly on the NHS issue.I worked for the NHS for 7 yrs.Quit in the end due to so many budget cuts,lack of staffing and changes made in my contract to cover those shifts I had no staff for.Sorry Alice but suggesting people use the scripts to make money is not helping the NHS.Will you be happy to part with your hard earned cash to fund private health care?
    yes your right it's not the best way to get food in your kids belly.
    I don't like the amount of repeate prescriptions that are claimed weekly then put in the back of the cupboard or thrown in the bin. I have to pay for my prescriptions and they won't give nicorette quickmist out on script at GP's. I've had to buy it off eBay, that's why I know what's going on.
    Daft as it sounds though. A couple can raise 2 grand to buy a van in a year doing it.
    Skanking money from who ever has a effect. Tax man, NHS, Social security, Shops, Councils. I did say if they had kids and no other means if raising the money. It would cost the NHS more in the long run to mend a starved kid,
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69, Sootyfoot

Have you got friends with kids of similar ages,or very close,say a year or 2 difference?clothes swap stuff yours dont wear or have out grown..same with you,pick a few good items,invite friends to do the same,invite them for coffee and have a swapsy morning..free new clothes..x

- - - Updated - - -

P.s,same with toys and books! X

Originally Posted by wandering gypsy
    wash your mouth out with soap cobra, get a job ? not had one for years and I dont claim benefits

Now now Wg,share the love
    xox lol
    The following users think this post is groovy: wandering gypsy

Free-spirited mammy nataliejay26's Avatar
    I did write a reply but it disappeared! Rainbomama unfortunately all my friends kids are either much older or newborns.clothes for myself sometimes I buy kids clothes if they are plain as I'm really small, however I won't be buying any new clothes till the ones I have start falling apart! Lol xx