THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Budget help!

Free-spirited mammy nataliejay26's Avatar

Budget help!

As I know your all very knowledgeable here (well most of you ha ha). Basically my husband and I are going through a very skint patch at the moment, as his business has had a few difficult months, I stay at home with our daughter at the moment, basically I just wanted to ask how you stretch your money as far as possible? Luckily we always managed to cover the bills however there is not a lot left over for food, clothing etc! How do you all do it? Thank you in advance. X

Heavenly Creature
    Can you make the time to get to a supermarket late in the afternoon? You can get massive savings on all fresh food, including ready meals. I got an indian meal for two for 1.20. Massive pizza for 1.20 (often less).
    Where are you in the country?

I'm in kent. I'm quite lucky we live in a small town and we're on the high street so I had access to a couple of small supermarkets, I will try and find out when they do their reductions and see what I can get, I literally have 5 to feed is for a couple of days! X

Heavenly Creature
    That much?
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    we spend about 20 a week for two of us and the dogs. We are also freegan. We liberate what the shops call waste and eat it!! On a bad week we get two bags of food. That's fruit and veg, but also prepared foods like meals and pies. It's not as 'fast food' as it sounds.
    Last night we had a soup based on a freeganned packet. In it went carrots, mushrooms, leeks and broccoli. Also smoked Polish sausage. Served with large 'fresh baked' reduced sausage rolls for 44p and followed by fresh cream eclairs for 23p, also free bananas and oranges.
    Get the picture
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You need to go into the supermarkets (any time) and ask when they usually do the final reductions. Once you find out when that is, go back and wait. It's usually worth it.
    There are odd days when it's not. Don't go once or twice and give up.
    The following users think this post is groovy: exile1234, marshlander, nicklincs, Sootyfoot

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately the shops here lock up all their "food waste" as there was a little uproar by the locals when a few people were helping themselves out of the bins, which is a shame as it's so wasteful but I will take in your other advice. X

Heavenly Creature
    Many of the bins that got locked (that were outside a locked yard) got broken into in London! I think it's the homeless guys who have nothing to lose.
    There's a Freganism thread on here.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Thank you. Yeah most of the bins here are locked and then put behind lock gates, which I think is a bit over dramatic. I will have a look at the freeganism thread, possibly I could go to the next town and have a look there. X

I will add the cuscus is very cheap faster to prepare and if you put in a stock cube and some vegetables you can make quite a filling meal for next to no money, also pasta instead of buying source make your own roux add some milk and a spoon full of pesto, a little cheese n sorted!

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Heavenly Creature
    Yes, it's often worth the trip. I sometimes work with a friend in South London. There's a Farm Foods there that, as yet doesn't lock it's bins, but the last time I was there it looked like they were going to. Honestly, it was spectacular. I once got two legs of lamb out of them.
    Another time we passed through Brentwood. I tracked down the bins for their Iceland and came away with two bags of good stuff. Out of town stores seem to be OK.

That's one of the freegan threads.

If your really stuck and you don't smoke cigarettes. Go blag a bit if cheap tobacco and a few skins. Book in to the stop smoking clinic. Before you go in take a few fags, smoke one half hour before you go and one just before you go through the door to see the nurse. Make out your 25 a day fag person and need help to stop. They will test your breath and record the findings. They will issue you with a prescription for 2 x 2 pkts of nicorette quickmist spray. If you are exempt from prescription payments, even better. If you have to pay for your prescriptions, it's about 8 + it's worth saving your till reciepts and week 7 or 8 go online and buy a pre prescription certificate. 3/6/ or 12 months. Put your nicorette quickmist spray on eBay 7 day auction ending around 7pm or between 12 and 1.00pm. They usually sell for around 8 to 10 each plus postage. If you do have to Pay for the prescrition, save your receipts, You could be coming out with 28 per fortnight if you have to purchase the prescriptions but will get this back over the coming months. Once you have enough til reciepts and or "'lenough cash from sales. Buy a 12 month prescription certificate. Send any till reciepts for prescriptions previously paid for sprays to redeem against 12 month cert. Then first two weeks you smoke a fag. Go see nurse, give a breath sample. Get a script, cash script using pre-payment cert. Sell on eBay. Pay eBay fees. Eventually you only pay ebay fees. Postage is paid by purchaser. Script paid for year or free anyway. 37 to 40 per fortnightfor over a year. Profit is yours to pay for emergency food. .if your partner stops smoking at the same time, take him along, then you can pay off that bill or eat better. Only try this at home if you have children, no money and no hope of getting money for the foreseeable future. Everyone's got to eat, kids are no exception.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: etherea, nicklincs, parrotandcrow, Sootyfoot

Alices wonderland thank you for the advice, we won't go without food I was just trying to find out how other people make it stretch, I will have some more money in a few days as I've sold some bits on eBay, just waiting for payment. So it's literally just the next few days, then hopefully I will use all the advice on here to make sure I can put a wee bit away for a rainy day in case it ever happens again, I most certainly wouldn't let my little one go without shes always fed first, luckily she's not a fussy eater. Thank you again for your advice. X
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, nicklincs, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    Definitely have a good scout round for possible bins. Iceland is good.

Avoid supermarkets and bulk cook in a slow cooker. You'll probably end up eating much better too, bulk cooking is both energy efficient and saves preparation time for the next few days. If I do a beef stew in the slow cooker, I end up with about 10 meals and it costs about 75p per meal. Couple of slices of bread and that's my main meal for the day sorted. To bulk it out even more, add lentils, pinto beans and/or kidney beans depending upon what you're cooking (buy them dried). I can get by for about 1.50 a day like this.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, patchypete

lone wolf survivalist.
    we buy a lot of our supermarket stuff when its on offer or reduced. for example Branston baked beans are half price at most supermarkets at the moment. Lidl do some cheap meat packs-got some cheap pork there last week.

Thank you for all the advice everyone I've definitely taken it all on board and have found out when my local shop does reductions so my freezer is nice and full at the moment. Xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, nicklincs, Sootyfoot

Turning On
    In times of skintness I buy a chicken (4.00) cut the legs,wings and breast out leaving the carcase. Take that carcase and boil it for two hour, once boiled remove the bits of chicken and save in broth, lentils ,spuds,barley,onion,celery,carrot etc with a chicken soup and seasoning mix to taste heat again till veg and barley are done. That should feed three for at least two days with some nice bread and you still have the breast and legs to make curry or whatever, stretch that for two days food by bulking up with veg. Four days of dinners for three costing 5.00, cant be bad.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, etherea, ma bungo, nicklincs, verticalis48

Heavenly Creature
    You could also go to the nearest halal butcher. They throw away a ton of chicken carcasses a week. It's what we feed our dogs on for nothing. If you ask them nicely, they will keep some fresh chicken waste in the fridge and you can make soup out of it. I haven't needed to, but I don't see why not.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by hagrid
    we buy a lot of our supermarket stuff when its on offer or reduced. for example Branston baked beans are half price at most supermarkets at the moment. Lidl do some cheap meat packs-got some cheap pork there last week.
    When BBs are cheap I buy a couple of outers. Don't do cheap meat generally, it is not reliably pleasant, and besides, I'm trying to be more of a vegetarian. Damn hard when Morrisons have decent sausages reduced to 19p a pack, though.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by andyvw
    Avoid supermarkets and bulk cook in a slow cooker. You'll probably end up eating much better too, bulk cooking is both energy efficient and saves preparation time for the next few days. If I do a beef stew in the slow cooker, I end up with about 10 meals and it costs about 75p per meal. Couple of slices of bread and that's my main meal for the day sorted. To bulk it out even more, add lentils, pinto beans and/or kidney beans depending upon what you're cooking (buy them dried). I can get by for about 1.50 a day like this.
    Absolutely correct about the slow cooker, its the budget conscious' best friend ever. I just do veggies, not really into beef, may do chicken occasionally, but stack it up with whatever veggies I have bought cheap and a couple of stock cubes. Maybe a bit of curry.

Then I whisk it up in the blender, it can be anything from just OK to great soup but its nutritious and filling
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, nicklincs

Aldi whole cooked chicken 3.99 is great value
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by Bernie
    Aldi whole cooked chicken 3.99 is great value
    They also do a bag of frozen chicken at the same price.

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    When BBs are cheap I buy a couple of outers. Don't do cheap meat generally, it is not reliably pleasant, and besides, I'm trying to be more of a vegetarian. Damn hard when Morrisons have decent sausages reduced to 19p a pack, though.
    we only buy Lidl meat when its on offer, these pork joints we bought were ridiculously cheap so they went into the slow cooker and were cooked to death!! usually we buy our main meat in our local weekly market(today as it happens) from a reputable supplier, costs a bit more than supermarket meat but its good meat from someone we trust.

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    If your really stuck and you don't smoke cigarettes. Go blag a bit if cheap tobacco and a few skins. Book in to the stop smoking clinic. Before you go in take a few fags, smoke one half hour before you go and one just before you go through the door to see the nurse. Make out your 25 a day fag person and need help to stop. They will test your breath and record the findings. They will issue you with a prescription for 2 x 2 pkts of nicorette quickmist spray. If you are exempt from prescription payments, even better. If you have to pay for your prescriptions, it's about 8 + it's worth saving your till reciepts and week 7 or 8 go online and buy a pre prescription certificate. 3/6/ or 12 months. Put your nicorette quickmist spray on eBay 7 day auction ending around 7pm or between 12 and 1.00pm. They usually sell for around 8 to 10 each plus postage. If you do have to Pay for the prescrition, save your receipts, You could be coming out with 28 per fortnight if you have to purchase the prescriptions but will get this back over the coming months. Once you have enough til reciepts and or "'lenough cash from sales. Buy a 12 month prescription certificate. Send any till reciepts for prescriptions previously paid for sprays to redeem against 12 month cert. Then first two weeks you smoke a fag. Go see nurse, give a breath sample. Get a script, cash script using pre-payment cert. Sell on eBay. Pay eBay fees. Eventually you only pay ebay fees. Postage is paid by purchaser. Script paid for year or free anyway. 37 to 40 per fortnightfor over a year. Profit is yours to pay for emergency food. .if your partner stops smoking at the same time, take him along, then you can pay off that bill or eat better. Only try this at home if you have children, no money and no hope of getting money for the foreseeable future. Everyone's got to eat, kids are no exception.
    No wonder the NHS is on it's knees if this is what people do to eat, it wouldn't even enter my mind to defraud a system like that.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Boaty McBoatface, Cobra, Sootyfoot, Wulfie

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    very noble of you dolly, but some have to take these measures to survive