THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: I'm leaning to vegetarianism…

I'm leaning to vegetarianism…

Just recently I've been leaning more and more towards a vegetarian diet, but I am finding it so fucking hard!

I've always been a big guy, even when I was vegetarian for two years that was due to living opposite to slaughter house, it kind of puts you off when you hear the noises coming from one of those places.

I cannot stand Quorn and a lot of the ready-made vegetarian meals kind of leave me-gasping at the prices, I suppose it's like alcohol free beer why is it more expensive?

What I'm trying to say I suppose is I miss the texture of meat I like to have something to chew I remember you used to be able to buy TVP which was pretty gross like trying to eat cardboard that are been soaked in water, are there any new chewy things out there? To help the meat eater reform?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Sooty

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

My love affair with meat is coming to an end after 50 years Sooty, I do enjoy "veggie" meals but I am lazy, it seems I have to work harder to cook a veggie meal, Instead of throwing chops/sausages/ steak under a grill TBH it means me thinking harder.
    Some nights after a long day like I mentioned I just get lazy.. but I have noticed that I eat on average three times a week now without meat/fish, hopefully as my knowledge becomes better it shall all become easier .... at present I am just playing with it
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Yeah it takes a bit of work to make dried tvp taste of anything. Tescos do a frozen mince that already has stuff added to make it taste nice. What kind of stuff do you eat now Sooty? Are you just looking to replace the meat in a potato and two veg type meal? A good veggie diet can be very cheap if you're willing to do a bit of cooking..

No I'm willing to cook and I'm actually quite a good cook the thing I'm having to cope with. And I don't know if this is actually a thing as it were but if I was making a stirfry normally I would make a chicken stirfry or beef, what could I use to replace the meat and still have the chewiness?

A cheap option I use sometimes in stir frys is tinned mock chicken or duck from the Chinese supermarket...is basically braised tofu but is good to add chewiness and texture.

There's lots of options in the veggie section of tescos and the like too but they'd be a bit more expensive..Linda McCartney just started doing strips of hoisin duck that would be nice in stir fries.

Check out seitan too ...it has a meaty texture and is high in protein..

Where would I buy Seitan? Please tell me more

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    I have some Sooty. I buy it from Holland and Barratt, sometimes see it in supermarkets. You need to try the Pad Thai I make, it's bloomin lush.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.

Quote Originally Posted by parrotandcrow View Post
    I have some Sooty. I buy it from Holland and Barratt, sometimes see it in supermarkets. You need to try the Pad Thai I make, it's bloomin lush.
    You'll have to come n gimme a vegan cookery course Maggie..lol

Heavenly Creature
    Sooty, try a McCartney's mozzarella burger if want that chewy meaty thing

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by parrotandcrow View Post
    Yes please x x x x x

Transcending
    I'm of the opinion that with meat, sometimes "less is more". For example, if you cook a tasty stir-fry with just a very small amount of meat it tastes better than the same dish with a load of meat or with no meat. In that stir-fry you get lovely crunchy veg, and just occasionally a chewy morsel of meat - try it, it's true I swear, it's better.

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface View Post
    I'm of the opinion that with meat, sometimes "less is more". For example, if you cook a tasty stir-fry with just a very small amount of meat it tastes better than the same dish with a load of meat or with no meat. In that stir-fry you get lovely crunchy veg, and just occasionally a chewy morsel of meat - try it, it's true I swear, it's better.
    Yeah, we're still chewing through the remaining meat in the freezer, gammon steaks yesterday, too much, rather horrid. The less meat you eat, the grosser it seems to eat meat. OTOH when it's cold, a sausage sandwich slips down a treat. Veggie sausages should be banned, they are all disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd View Post
    Yeah, we're still chewing through the remaining meat in the freezer, gammon steaks yesterday, too much, rather horrid. The less meat you eat, the grosser it seems to eat meat. OTOH when it's cold, a sausage sandwich slips down a treat. Veggie sausages should be banned, they are all disgusting.
    I actually disagree with your comment on veggie sausages are disgusting I had a veggie sausage sarnie at parrot n crows place...it was one of the best sausage sandwiches and ever had in my life! I was well impressed that it was vegetarian

Do you not like Glamorgan sausage then Bryn bach ...one of.my favorite snackettes.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd

Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    Do you not like Glamorgan sausage then Bryn bach ...one of.my favorite snackettes.
    Never been acquainted with em...

Quote Originally Posted by Sootyfoot View Post
    Never been acquainted with em...
    http://www.ukhippy.com/stuff/entry.p...E-%28VEGGIE%29

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadicRT View Post
    TBH I had forgotten them. Old age doesn't come alone. Yes, they can be good. Also had a tasty cheese sausage a few weeks back. I know, dairy products...
    The following users think this post is groovy: vanwoman84

My experience of some commercial veggie sausage hasnt been rewarding i know that much.....usually too much herbs and an unpleasant texture.So i make Glamorgans ,theyre much nicer (to me anyway)

I don't think that's the right link

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    A bit expensive, but I think Fry's and Vegusto do the best mock meats - after that, the Linda McCartney stuff is pretty good, especially the quarterpounders and mushroom and spinach burgers, but quorn I never liked much - the new vegan nuggets are nice though.

I recently fed some Linda McCartney quarterpounders to a meat eating friend and she couldn't tell the difference.

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I recently fed some Linda McCartney quarterpounders to a meat eating friend and she couldn't tell the difference.
    presumably you drugged her first?

Quote Originally Posted by Sootyfoot View Post
    I don't think that's the right link
    Its my blog with the recipes i posted in Chatter that were moved to this Veggie thread. page 2
    http://www.ukhippy.com/stuff/showthr...E-%28VEGGIE%29

A bit expensive, but I think Fry's and Vegusto do the best mock meats - after that, the Linda McCartney stuff is pretty good, especially the quarterpounders and mushroom and spinach burgers, but quorn I never liked much - the new vegan nuggets are nice though.

Damn that vegusto gear is pricey!

The vegusto sausage im not keen on,Quorn is just disgusting but those No-moo burgers look tasty...and im no fan at all of burgers with or without moo.

Anyone had the vegusto steaks/roasts ?
    How do you rste the steaks amd roasts ? The porcini shroom roast looks yum
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 03-03--2017 at 01:14 AM.