THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Re using Ground Coffee for slug control?

Re using Ground Coffee for slug control?

Hi all,
    We use a cafetiere for our coffee,so use ground coffee.I seem to recall reading a while ago,you can keep the used ground coffee,drying it out,and sprinkling on the veggie beds to keep slugs/snails at bay.Apparently they don't like crossing over it.Has anyone else used this method or heard of this?TIA
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Cobra
    Hi all,
    We use a cafetiere for our coffee,so use ground coffee.I seem to recall reading a while ago,you can keep the used ground coffee,drying it out,and sprinkling on the veggie beds to keep slugs/snails at bay.Apparently they don't like crossing over it.Has anyone else used this method or heard of this?TIA
    I know that use coffee grounds on the soil a lot in Spain and there is never been so many snails as there are in Spain you would think for a dry country they would have no snails but there are millions of the bloody things, I never did find out the reason why I assumed it was to keep moisture into the soil

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket

I did try the coffee grounds thing properly for a while a couple of years ago, Didn't work at all for me. So I went back to picking them off at night or when its wet and sending them packing. It's not a lovely job but at least it works.
    Only other thing I make sure I do is grow a lot of things off the ground and have a sort of moat around the bottom of the pots, This seems to stop them.
    Also tried connecting a small battery to a couple of strips of copper do give them a small electric shock, This did work but only until one of them got stuck across the strips. Wasn't a nice sight so I stopped trying that but it did work until this.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket

lol Hmmm bang goes that idea then?hahaha Damn I really though the used ground coffee would work?
    Interesting re Spain Sootyfoot?Unfortunately I'm really unable to pick too many off my plot(Got an allotment)as its not exactly outside my back door,and as I work full time too,just not convenient really to do that (Wish I could though!). I may give the moat idea a try though?I've got some spare guttering I could rig up so thanks for that tip.xx

Diatomaceous earth might help, its good for ants, silverfish, anything with a carapace, you could try lines of salt? But don't salt round your plants...that'll kill em

The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

That should do it.

Transcending
    I use ducks - they're great.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, Uncle jhad

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    I use ducks - they're great.
    With the bonus huge tasty Duck eggs I hope! Mmmmmm

I tried the coffee grinds thing last year and even put broken terracotta around as another barrier and the bloody slugs ate most of my cauliflowers, and cabbages. Only left me with sprouts and Kale.
    Any resemblance to actual persons living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    my uncle a market gardener used beer in a saucer under a tipped bucket, no slugs on his plants
    The following users think this post is groovy: BaguetteMan, Cobra

Originally Posted by Cobra
    Hi all,
    Dont know about slug repellent but coffee grounds are good fertiliser for plants.....slugs dont seem to like smashed up eggshells or sea shell or course sharp grit (not road grit) and tame hedgehogs work.well too.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 02-03--2017 at 09:04 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, ma bungo

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

Originally Posted by wandering gypsy
    my uncle a market gardener used beer in a saucer under a tipped bucket, no slugs on his plants
    Drink the beer and you won;t give a fuck about the slugs
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Miss_bee, NomadicRT, Sootyfoot

Transcending

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    With the bonus huge tasty Duck eggs I hope! Mmmmmm
    Hell yes ! If I'd had the ducks before the chickens I probably wouldn't have got chickens. The eggs are bigger and tastier, they keep their house cleaner, eat less food, and the drake doesn't crow like my rooster. They even put themselves to bed now.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

If you grow in containers or in raised beds you could try using copper tape, or one of the 'systems' where they use copper wire (or galvanised wire) with a 9volt battery:

The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Sootyfoot

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    TBH , we have never really suffered from a slug problem , letting the chickens have free range of where there are no crops gets the slug eggs as well as the slugs , no weeds for them to hide in , and occasionally laying a damp plank down for them to hide under , then plank transferred to chickens to eat. As Harry mentioned , beer traps work well too (no spare beer here !) , as do electrified copper strips , but if you have a very large area to protect , preditors are your friend . hegdehogs and frogs are good , but nematodes are the bosses ! you can make your own for nothing .

I use coffee grounds when i remember to go and fetch them.

A thick ring around each plant seems to do the trick.
    Scattering grounds over the seed bed has no effect at all.

I have also used the old grounds to make a heavy coffee which I use to water around the grow bags, the smell seems to distract them, especially if I offer a dish of beer nearby.

YMMV

Who has enough frog spawn to fill a two foot long fish tank, and wonders if the frogs get p!ss*d when they eat the drunken slugs?

I took charlie dimmocks advice back in the day when she was reasonably pert , 'hunt the sluga and snails at night with a torch and a bucket with a few pints f water and a squirt of washing up liquid , the detergent makes em sink and drown , not humane but efficient..

I tried this one year for a few weeks and put a few handfulls in most evenings then buggered off to Glasto for a 'long' week, it was a scorcher and when i got back it was to a parched lawn , droopy flowers n veg and a bucket that I think had started to ferment, certainly to rot and all signs of any ' sweet apple' that were in the fairy liquid gone , I nonchalantly picked up this bucket of decaying biomass with no thought whatsoever as to how it may smell if disturbed .... , cue my hyper sensative gag reflex
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Sootyfoot

I've just acquired a new plot(At the same site)as its in a more private position than my old one.We had raised beds at the old one,which worked well with slug control.However,the new plot has the beds set out (Will post a pic in the near future)and edged with wood but they are'nt raised.I prefer raised beds myself,so I think in time,I will fill the existing beds in to make them raised.I may make a makeshift pond(Small)to encourage frogs etc,and use the beer cup idea.(I have used the beer cup method years ago and yes it works so thanks for reminding me about that,as I had forgotten about it!)

The most effective is the out at night with torch technique as mentioned. Egg shells work but roast them a while first, not sure why it helps but it does, I guess it draws out the moisture so when the snails go over them it sticks which they don't like. Encourage wild birds, ducks definitely work, if you have the enclosure next to the veg, and you will still get some coming through the far side. Better still, proteciting beds from ducks and allowing them free run in the veg patch

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    Slugs don't like rough surfaces so little stones are good. The Moroccans and Turkish burn old coffee grounds to keep the flies at bay though

For some reason,slugs dont like chilli flakes or powder either ...cant imagine why
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 05-03--2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Unfortunately we're not allowed to keep any chickens or ducks on the lottie site.At our old house,we had chooks and yes they are great at keeping down the pests.