Thread: ABOLISH THE USE OF THE CAPTIVE BOLT GUN TO DESTROY GREYHOUNDS IN THE UK.

ABOLISH THE USE OF THE CAPTIVE BOLT GUN TO DESTROY GREYHOUNDS IN THE UK.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Share this petition

145,554 supporters54,446 needed to reach 200,000

.@DefraGovUK: "BAN THE BOLT" ABOLISH THE USE OF THE CAPTIVE BOLT GUN TO DESTROY GREYHOUNDS IN THE UK.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

C.A.G.E.D North West 'Ban the Bolt' Campaign
    [Petition Supported by Ricky Gervais and Jane Fallon]
    Each year an estimated 10,000 ex-racing greyhounds are 'unaccounted' for -- puppies that donít make the grade, dogs that sustain injuries, are pregnant or unable to find homes, most are less than five years old.

Many of these dogs are disposed of in the most 'economical' way - by bolt gun.

Under existing UK legislation, any person can use a bolt gun to destroy a greyhound, if they are the legal owner. Attempted destruction of greyhounds by bolt has resulted in innocent dogs being left to suffer in agony for hours, before being found and taken to a veterinary surgery to be finally put to sleep by lethal injection.

These dogs should at the very least be entitled to a humane death. Destruction of greyhounds should only be performed by use of intravenous euthanasia, administered by qualified veterinary surgeons.

Following the controversial use of bolt guns by RSPCA inspectors a few years ago, the RSPCA requested the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) comment on their review of its 2004 euthanasia rules and guidelines. In April 2010 the RCVS announced that use of the captive bolt guns on dogs was inappropriate.

Defra have the power to end this cruel practice so we are calling on them to immediately abolish the use of captive bolt guns to destroy greyhounds in the UK.

For more information please click on the links below to read about Milton the greyhound and use of bolt gun in destruction.

This petition will be delivered to:
    • Defra
      Responsible department: Department for Environment Food, and Rural Affairs

Folks bet on them, they have given their best and instead of rehoming / rescue a bolt between the eyes.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

Heavenly Creature
    Signed. I would like the sign the one about abolishing greyhound racing altogether.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, essexcamper, FriedOnion, nicklincs, Sootyfoot, Wulfie

Signed, It's so cruel what they put greyhounds through.
    My brother has had 3 retired greyhounds and they are so lovely, But always have problems because of how they have been treated. Physically or emotionally
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, Wulfie

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by vanwoman84
    Signed. I would like the sign the one about abolishing greyhound racing altogether.
    And horse racing
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, essexcamper, nicklincs, Wulfie

Transcending
    I don't understand why this was ever legal - the captive bolt gun is a stunning measure, not a killing measure. When food animals are killed they are stunned with the bolt gun and killed by having their throats cut.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, essexcamper

Since i read this article i have felt ill thinking of it.The word "pithing"was new to me.I cannot beleive that untrained people not only use bolt guns on greyhounds but that they then literally poke their brains out to kill them or cut their throats.2017?I thought shot dead with a bolt quickly to kill farm animals.Stun/Just stun?What a barbaric sickening torture.

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    I don't understand why this was ever legal - the captive bolt gun is a stunning measure, not a killing measure. When food animals are killed they are stunned with the bolt gun and killed by having their throats cut.

Me too.Saved from hanging in Ireland as a youngster as broken wind.Sensitive,loving and loyal ,very clever sofa grabbing love pigs.

Originally Posted by naturalspirit
    Signed, It's so cruel what they put greyhounds through.
    My brother has had 3 retired greyhounds and they are so lovely, But always have problems because of how they have been treated. Physically or emotionally

The fight goes on

Between wolves in the USA and Scandinavia, donkeys, greyhounds, dogs being sent to Asia, the Asian dog feasts, there's a lot of work, a lot of petitioning and belief to change our mad world for the better. Please keep signing and hoping for a better world. Peace
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, essexcamper, Miss_bee

Thank you, even though the knowledge is distressing.Keeping it up there and out there.Be aware ,do something even if only your name on a petition is something.How can we do nothing in the face of such cruelty?Turn away?Switch it off?Or face it ,acknowledge it and do something.

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    The fight goes on

Between wolves in the USA and Scandinavia, donkeys, greyhounds, dogs being sent to Asia, the Asian dog feasts, there's a lot of work, a lot of petitioning and belief to change our mad world for the better. Please keep signing and hoping for a better world. Peace
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper

Cruelty to fellow man makes me angry but cruelty to animals especially dogs or their wild counterpart I find most upsetting especially in this modern age. If you breed an animal for whatever reason it deserves care and respect.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

Signed

Not Quite a Noobie
    Signed, and thank you for publicising.