Thread: Surviving India?

Surviving India?

I'm thinking of going to India, and I was wondering for those that have gone and stayed a longer period of time, did you ever get used to the bacterial fauna, if so, how long did it take and do you have any reccomendations? I'd like to survive and not poop out my skellington bones.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Love everyone, even those who hate you, because they need your love the most.

Been to India several times,and only got sick(ish)once.Just got the grinding type stomach ache but it never developed into anything.I went to a pharmacy and they gave me pills,which got rid of it.I'm pm'ing you a forum you might like to join.

Noobie
    I was on the hippie trail in India and Nepal in the mid 80s.
    Got giardia pretty much as soon as I arrived but never anything worse.
    I knew many long term travelers/residents who seemed to have adapted to the local bugs and ate/drank everything
    Others who were plagued by problems.
    Back then meds were OTC though. Dunno about now.
    Don't let the chance of the runs or a few sulphur burps stop you from an amazing experience.
    Go now before it's the same as every other place on the silicon planet!

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Psyched
    I was on the hippie trail in India and Nepal in the mid 80s.
    Got giardia pretty much as soon as I arrived but never anything worse.
    I knew many long term travelers/residents who seemed to have adapted to the local bugs and ate/drank everything
    Others who were plagued by problems.
    Back then meds were OTC though. Dunno about now.
    Don't let the chance of the runs or a few sulphur burps stop you from an amazing experience.
    Go now before it's the same as every other place on the silicon planet!
    Not been there for 8 years , but I think you might have missed the boat for finding somewhere totaly not like every other place on the 'silicone planet ' . Nearly everyone has smart phones , there are now supermarkets , and even motorways (though they have cows on them and folk drive down the wrong side ). A friend went to Manali in the 70s and someone swopped him an ounce of best hash for a plastic bag as they had never seen the likes . Now plastic bags and bottles clog and polute all the local water courses . Aint progress wonderful
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Psyched

Noobie
    Yeah that's pretty much what I'd feared too but figured a little was better than nothing.... :-(

Not drinking untreated tap water will help.
    I took some iodine solution to treat water, it tastes pretty bad but it's better than giardia. You can buy bottled water anywhere which is a little safer but it's better still to just drink chai instead.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

Originally Posted by stuoolong
    Not drinking untreated tap water will help.
    I took some iodine solution to treat water, it tastes pretty bad but it's better than giardia. You can buy bottled water anywhere which is a little safer but it's better still to just drink chai instead.
    We always take a water filter , a good one with a clay cartridge is not cheap , but soon pays for its self over bottled water . You can then safely take water from streams or taps anywhere .
    Also there is a very real problem to the enviroment with plastic bottles as the refuse system in a lot of India is a bit non existant . There is also a bit of an industry in unscrupulous people refilling plastic bottles and selling them , so always check the seal if you do buy bottled water .
    Micropure tablets are good for sterilising water and do not taste as bad as iodene .

Another way of getting sick is eating uncooked food like salad and fruit that has been washed in 'local' water or damp table ware .
    If you really want to fast track getting sick , try an ice cream of a street vendor !
    Last edited by ma bungo; 05-08--2017 at 09:02 AM.

I was absolutely fine in India until I accidentally lifted a 2 litre bottle of tap water from the fridge thinking it was bottled water, and drank the lot over the day in work. That night I woke up vomiting and shitting at the same time and spent the next 24 hours on the bathroom floor.

The moral of the story is, don't be a div and you'll likely be fine