THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BBC- 'Homelessness in the Countryside'

BBC- 'Homelessness in the Countryside'

Not sure where this report is leading but ...ill leave this here.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Just the same as it's always been. Why be unemployed or homeless in the city where there's a better chance of work and night shelters when you can go to the seaside and live there. I can remember a Welsh cafe owner in Aberporth in the 60s moaning about the Brummie dossers living in the shacks around there on permanent holiday and doing nothing all day. I can't blame them but the locals will turn at some point.
    Not all who wander are lost

Transcending
    I don't know about homelessness around here, but I was surprised to see how many people are living in static caravans or even modified garden sheds. Houses are (relatively) cheap in Pembs, but wages are very low, so the poor buggers are just as stuffed as those in the South East, admittedly partly due to people like me moving here and pushing house prices up.

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    I don't know about homelessness around here, but I was surprised to see how many people are living in static caravans or even modified garden sheds. Houses are (relatively) cheap in Pembs, but wages are very low, so the poor buggers are just as stuffed as those in the South East, admittedly partly due to people like me moving here and pushing house prices up.
    "partly"? Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion are the new Cornwall.

Near me are a number of static sites with a lot of residents from council houses in Brum and they spend more time here than at home.

Transcending

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    "partly"? Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion are the new Cornwall.
    It's true, I know people here from NZ and Aus, as well as the hordes from Surrey.

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    It's a massive massive problem ... and of course as rural areas become increasingly gentrified by flocks of slightly better off people leaving london for cleaner air and cheaper housing, the people who were brought up in the rural areas, let down by massively de-stocked social housing situation, are going to move to deeper deprived areas of rurality where the prices are cheaper... we shall all end up squatting in dugouts on the pennines at this rate! be alright when the sea levels rise i guess....

people round here are talking about the welsh valleys as being cheap places to live... a few years back it was Todmorden and Hebden Bridge... Somerset is lost to the DFLers now... Bristol house prices are sky rocketing, Bath too... Frome is on it's way to becoming unaffordable for most... and well... here? in the "Notting Hill of the West Country" .. there is absolutely no way we, as a family, could afford to rent anywhere locally AT ALL so just very grateful we in housing association property.
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    Just the same as it's always been. Why be unemployed or homeless in the city where there's a better chance of work and night shelters when you can go to the seaside and live there. I can remember a Welsh cafe owner in Aberporth in the 60s moaning about the Brummie dossers living in the shacks around there on permanent holiday and doing nothing all day. I can't blame them but the locals will turn at some point.
    Cardigan (now Aberteifi) council went one better...they built councill houses en masse and attracted all the unemployed in Cardiff and Swansea to be unemployed in Cardigan.

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    Cardigan (now Aberteifi) council went one better...they built councill houses en masse and attracted all the unemployed in Cardiff and Swansea to be unemployed in Cardigan.
    Something similar was allegedly done by a large private landlord in Llandrindod Wells. He canvassed Probation Officers to inform about-to-be-discharged prisoners of the low rents and pleasant surroundings available in his flats, and flooded the town with, er, ex-prisoners.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature

Yeah, maybe not quite all of them though.

I'm told that Birmingham has been exporting difficult council tenants to Welsh towns for years.

I know a lot of midlanders moved there in the eighties Aberporth Newquay Cardigan and according to press 'resesrch' at the time,not many had jobs and not of retirement age either.

I think quite a few redundant miners from 'the valleys' moved there too.

Heavenly Creature

I know a lot of midlanders moved there in the eighties Aberporth Newquay Cardigan and according to press 'resesrch' at the time,not many had jobs and not of retirement age either.

I think quite a few redundant miners from 'the valleys' moved there too.
    True, interesting history and demographics if you like that sort of thing. In the 50s and 60s Cardiganshire was another world, little English spoken, the country was dry on Sundays until the 1960s. Even then, Aberystwyth (or was it the whole county, I can't remember) remained dry for years on a Sunday. These bright colour schemes you seen in Welsh seaside towns were invented in the 70s or 80s by the Wales Tourist Board which was established by Act of Partliament in the late 60s. The most colourful thing in Aber in the early 60s was the vomit on the pavement outside the rugby club.

lone wolf survivalist.
    there are a lot of unemployed Liverpudlians living in bedsits in Ilfracombe, the word went out " why be unemployed in Liverpool when you can be unemployed by the sea side?" and they came, in droves. all the old abandoned hotels are now bed sits.

Transcending

Interesting outcome then, employment is easy, crime is very low, and it made number 10 on the Telegraphs "Best 20 places in Britain to raise a family"

True, interesting history and demographics if you like that sort of thing. In the 50s and 60s Cardiganshire was another world, little English spoken, the country was dry on Sundays until the 1960s. Even then, Aberystwyth (or was it the whole county, I can't remember) remained dry for years on a Sunday. These bright colour schemes you seen in Welsh seaside towns were invented in the 70s or 80s by the Wales Tourist Board which was established by Act of Partliament in the late 60s. The most colourful thing in Aber in the early 60s was the vomit on the pavement outside the rugby club.
    I.loved the area and the Welsh there were very easy going and tolerant of the English unlike the cottage burning north who barely tolerated neither English or Southern Welsh.
    I had a lot of friends down there and the mild weather was a boon.

I lived there when the wet/dry bylaws divided Cardigan/Aberteifi..the Aberystwyth (Dyfed-as was )side of the river was dry and the Fishguard (Pembs) was wet so the drinking townsfolk trekked across the river to St Dogmaels on Sundsys.

The town itself was.pretty dull.in the seventies -grey slate -dull and the brightest street adornments were the hippies living around the area coming into town but i remember the brightly coloured fascades appearing and a godsend was the Italian coffee and Ice-cream parlour that appeared.l( run by genuine Italians)....I think the Rugby club was the first to get a bright paint job,..off hand ithink.it was pale mucky pink at some point and white at another.
    The town only had 2000 residents..some who owned businesses or worked on farms or in tourist trade
    There were quite a few hippies drifting around and opening up craft and pottery places in obscure rural spots and of course there was tipi valley.I can remember younger folk sleeping rough in bus shelters and on the beach in summer but i dont ever remember it being much of a talked about issue..Not that i paid much notice,I lived on a boat then a static so i wasnt exactly in the mainstream of gossip.

Outside of the tourist season though,not much -if anything - happened.The place was a ghost town except on market day and all the seasonal-work locals went back on the dole in September and got drunk all day until March lol

Happy days.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 07-03--2017 at 02:48 AM.

Interesting outcome then, employment is easy, crime is very low, and it made number 10 on the Telegraphs "Best 20 places in Britain to raise a family"

Despite the large number of unemployed there in the early eighties there wasnt ever much trouble.The Cardigan and Tivyside advertiser always had a few pages of local court news but it was always filled with tv license or car tax /mot/ insurance dodgers or Mr J who had been pulled over with a bald tyre or Mr W who had driven his car into a ditch while paralletic.
    I think the influx from south wales and midlanders were mostly just interested in being there for a chilled out life.Apart from the odd fight at christmas or wedding do there was no real trouble.

That was all 30 years ago and the town has grown,been invested in and developed and prospered.Im not at all surprised its a popular place to live and bring up a family...it was back in the 80's but lacked any major employment apart from at Aberporth.Now with the internet theres more people earning a living online.
    I loved it there.I had a boat there and life was fabulous,id be hsppy to go back there.
    I lived in Mathry in Pembs too and near Cenarth falls and cycled all the roads there, regularly over the Preseli's to Tenby and along the coast to St Davids..great place to live...as you know.
    Im.torn between the Hebrides and Pembrokeshire when it comes down to where i would rsther live.Pembs has the weather advantage.
    ....and the absence of midges.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 07-03--2017 at 02:43 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Transcending
    I didn't know about the dry/wet divide between Cardigan and St Dogmaels, that might explain the existence of the ferry, plus the Ferry Inn and other pubs along the riverside, and the two pubs built right on the end of the bridge.

There are still a few hippies here, more the merrier, and loads of artists of all types from painters to blacksmiths.

I work closely with a retired chartered engineer who is passionate about up-skilling the area by encouraging young people to work in design. He's applied for grants to supply software to schools and advises local companies on improving production methods - all for free. He founded the very successful boat builders that I used to work for.

I too believe that the future of rural areas lies in design and small scale manufacture, we have bright young people who go away to Uni and want to come back to work here, plus we have many large empty agricultural buildings that can be re-purposed.

Agriculture is big in the rural economy, but no longer a big employer - the modern equipment is expensive but devastatingly efficient.

lone wolf survivalist.
    my ex ex brother in law owned a cottage in Wales he was doing up in the 70s, one week when he came back to Devon to visit his old mother the Welsh liberation lot burnt the place down!!!

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by hagrid
    my ex ex brother in law owned a cottage in Wales he was doing up in the 70s, one week when he came back to Devon to visit his old mother the Welsh liberation lot burnt the place down!!!
    Yeah, they didn't like immigrants did they? Wanted Wales for the Welsh, as I recall.

lone wolf survivalist.

Yeah, they didn't like immigrants did they? Wanted Wales for the Welsh, as I recall.
    yes, that's what he was told, afterwards.

Back to the first piece. What about those fucking spikes being put outside buildings so people cant shelter for the night! Thankfully due to public outcry some have been removed but unfortunately other building owners will no doubt be giving it some thought!
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh

I didn't know about the dry/wet divide between Cardigan and St Dogmaels, that might explain the existence of the ferry, plus the Ferry Inn and other pubs along the riverside, and the two pubs built right on the end of the bridge.

There are still a few hippies here, more the merrier, and loads of artists of all types from painters to blacksmiths.

I work closely with a retired chartered engineer who is passionate about up-skilling the area by encouraging young people to work in design. He's applied for grants to supply software to schools and advises local companies on improving production methods - all for free. He founded the very successful boat builders that I used to work for.

I too believe that the future of rural areas lies in design and small scale manufacture, we have bright young people who go away to Uni and want to come back to work here, plus we have many large empty agricultural buildings that can be re-purposed.

Agriculture is big in the rural economy, but no longer a big employer - the modern equipment is expensive but devastatingly efficient.
    Oh no, the prolific pub presence is to all to do with Cardigans past history.It was a thriving deep water port especially from the 17thcentury up to the early 20th century and pretty large vessels went up to the quay by the bridge when the estuary was navigable.It used be dredged apparently.
    I was told up to 4000 ton vessels but i dont know if thats correct...Quite large coastal sailing packets and steamers used to get up there ive seen the photos...I was told theres a pretty large vessel went down off the end Cardigan island.early last century.

It was a thriving herring port and boatbuilding port.The boats were built along the banks of the river opposite amd adjacent to St Dogmaels mostly and most of them herring trawlers...Also thousands of tons of lime went through the port..The ships used to anchor up in the netpool stretch and the bigger ones turned around there and used the quay and the warehouses on the St dogmaels side and Cardigan side..The granary is still there by the bridge (old bridge) on St Dogmaels side.(i think.it may be a restuarant now)
    The ferry inn marks one crossing to the old castle road apparently ,near the top of the estuary where the river bends and there was another closer to town that crossed to the netpool road that went into town the back way along the river and up behind whats now the high street shops( mwldan)to where the guildhall car park. but now goes up to greenfield row.The old castle road goes into greenfield row too to the other end of the car park area - Pendre end.Then of course theres the whitland to Cardigan rail line that served the town but it was already in decline long before the line closed.
    Its all fascinating history that you would not think.went on there casually looking at the town now.Il find you some of the info later if youre interested.

When i lived there the only boat work was a few leisure boat yards repairing outboards and selling small boats and the only boat builder as such was John Quiney by the quay who built boats-he built mine(his place is the pizza tipi now - and a coracle builder in Cenarth.The other nearest boat builders were at Newport and Neyland.The only real engineering was at RAE Aberporth where they made and tested missiles.Then their was a clothes factory came in but mostly it was small family businesses.
    Agriculture will never be a a big employer now.A single farmer can manage a 1000 acres on his/her own with the right equipment.Its down to the bright kids in that area to make the place thrive again with engineering -msybe even boat building again- and with the internet thats perfectly possible.Its probably one of the best places to live and run a business from.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 08-03--2017 at 08:16 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

I've been in the coracles at Cenarth and paddled up close to the falls below the mill there, quite an experience the noise in that gulley. Spent a lot of time in that area as a kid but don't recall seeing any homeless unlike around Worcestershire where you'd see 'tramps' with baggage and their calling cards marked by peoples gates.

Yes i went in the coracles there.The old guy showed me how he made them too.I was only a youngster then and you were allowed to.fish by the falls but they banned fishing between the falls and the bridge.Nobody was homeless as i remember and you could always make money there even if you had no proper job.I went in coracles at Cilgerran too.I used to canoe or row up to Newcastle Emlyn and catch mullet and sea trout and flog them on the quay in Cardigan to anyone would buy them.If i was short of money and no fish id go dig up a load of ragworms or catch soft crab and sell them to the tourist anglers
    Plenty of hippy folk there too who managed to make money selling craft things in the market.Ibknew a few folk who lived in old railway wagons and tumble down barns...you wouldnt get away with it now though i doubt.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 08-03--2017 at 09:48 AM.