THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BBC- 'Homelessness in the Countryside'

Transcending
    Interesting history, thankyou for posting it. The clothes factory made jeans for big chainstores, but was outsourced to India some years ago. A local entrepreneur has re-started making jeans, and one of the original cutters, Mr Berlotti ( whose family also opened the coffee shop ) works there.

Incidentally, they were doing a free-jeans-for-6-months scheme a while back. You pay a small deposit, wear their jeans for 6 months without washing them, then send them back to be washed and sold, and you get 20% of the sale price.

I just saw that the scheme has finished, maybe they'll do it again some time.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I cant remember the textile co name offhand,they made clothes for catalogues like littlewoods but they arrived around the time Laura Ashley opened her factory in Newtown.The Indian travelling market traders used to go there and get all the seconds and returns apparently.I cant ever remember any locals admitting they shopped there ...Swansea was the usual destination for clothes.

My favorite time there being a waterborn nut was the boating/sailing season,the whole river came alive.

Have you ever been to the engine museum.near Tanygroes...its well worth a look if not.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Transcending
    Back on track, there was a homeless guy in the eco-shop this morning buying socks. He comes from Denmark though, so not really a symptom or rural problems in the UK.

He walked all the way from Cardiff, which is a bit of a trek in the weather we've had recently. Fortunately the vicar in St Dogmaels speaks Danish, and has made him welcome.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Wulfie
    Just the same as it's always been. Why be unemployed or homeless in the city where there's a better chance of work and night shelters when you can go to the seaside and live there. I can remember a Welsh cafe owner in Aberporth in the 60s moaning about the Brummie dossers living in the shacks around there on permanent holiday and doing nothing all day. I can't blame them but the locals will turn at some point.
    Violence against homeless in cities is very common, sad how people see fit to treat others on their lowest ebb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, Wulfie