THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless

Sex
    Female

Homeless

I have just been made unexpectedly homeless. My wonderful partner brought a suitcase to work. He won't answer phones or let me in. What do I do????
    Who do I call?
    I don't know anyone here. Work have given me a half day. It's pissing down and I am cold.

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Without being in a position to offer personal help (and if the location on your profile is correct) these are my first google results - it may be a good idea to get on the blower to them immediately, regardless of any other options...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    Can you prove you live at the address? If so wait till he goes out and either break in, or call a locksmith.
    Who's name is the tenancy or mortgage in? If it's joint, you have a right to be there. Go back and tell him you have nowhere else to go.
    If it's his it isn't good.
    Do you have a vehicle you can sleep in?
    If you were nearer, you could sleep in our spare van.

Sex
    Male
    What a POS,thats terrible...Id go in to the civic centre off Queen.Square and see what they can help you with and as Paul said call orgo to shelter.
    I dont know what legal rights of tenure youhad on your accommodation with your partner (if any) but the main thing is sorting out what you do tonight.
    If youre ok for money youll find decent guest house BnB down the Tettenhall Rd and Compton Road.You need to go to tje Council civic centre before 4 ish they close early.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Sex
    Female
    Thank you. No its his house. I have fuck all money cos I gave him almost 500 quid and did all the food shopping and bought him presents.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    Can you prove you lived at the address? Any bills or ID with it on? The council have a duty to help you, but won't if you have no connection to the area.
    I also forgot to say sorry you are in this shit position and too far away for me to help.

Sex
    Female
    Thanks vw.
    I'm really up the Creek, he has well and truly shafted me. I don't want to break in cos that wouldn't help, he'd just call the police
    . What a cunt.
    And why did I ever trust anyone?

Sex
    Male
    Oh crap...get up to the Civic Centre St Peters Square and do it now .

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by groove
    Thanks vw.
    I'm really up the Creek, he has well and truly shafted me. I don't want to break in cos that wouldn't help, he'd just call the police
    . What a cunt.
    And why did I ever trust anyone?
    You need to sort that out later,forcing the issue wont help your present situation.Go to the council.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    So do you have any vehicle at all, even a car?
    Past experience leads me to suspect the council will offer little or no help. Try Shelter or other charities. The working day's running out so whatever you do, do it quick!

Sex
    Male
    The council should help with emergency accommodation ...theres also this in Wolves

Sex
    Male
    You should try the Haven at the bottom of this link ..theyre not far from the city centre its women only refuge,theyre very nice people.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    I had a look at the P3 site and it looks like they only house single men, but they might know of another charity that can help.

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    If you have any disability, mental or physical, or are being threatened with violence (i.e. you fear for your safety if you try to go back), then you should have priority for emergency shelter. Don't be scared to strong it and emphasise how vulnerable and scared you are.

Sex
    Female
    No vehicle. Nothing . The Haven are supposed to be calling me back.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    Shit I hate that calling back thing. Agree with Paul, lay it on thick with whatever you feel will work
    How good a liar is your ex? Would he say he never saw you in his life before or say you stormed out?

Sex
    Female
    Oh Groove,I am so sorry to hear this.I really hope you manage to secure something by the end of the day.Thinking of you right now hon....xoxoxoxox

Turning On
    Sex
    Male
    Council MAY help, if they feel a housing duty is owed.
    What this comes down to is likely to be:

Do they think you're homeless (nowhere you can be reasonably expected to occupy)?
    Do you have local connection? (can show living in area 6 of last 12 months, 3 of last 5 years, work, immediate family)
    Are you 'priority need'? (automatic qualifiers such as care leaver, without any further info it will be a matter of whether they consider you 'more vulnerable than the average person')
    Are you 'intentionally homeless'? (doesn't sound like it, but if they decide it's 'your fault' you were told to leave then they could screw you with this one)

Not sure how that rolls in Wolv'ton but it may be worth trying to get some support with making a priority need case - I do this with young people and we have a good strike rate of getting people accepted who were initially turned away.

Worth mentioning that if they have to help you they will try to book you into an emergency hostel or grimy B&B, and if you have other options for tonight/the weekend then you might want to choose that.

There may be services you can approach directly there, in Bristol everything goes through the council.

For advice go via Shelter or local service, I work in this field but am not giving you Official Advice heheh that's my back covered

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    This is crap. I hope that you have shelter by now.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    I would be impressed if groove had sorted this out in an hour P&C.

Turning On
    Sex
    Male
    And if the council say no or can't help you now then get planning - is there a colleague you can kip with over the weekend?
    Have you any outdoors gear or can you borrow some and can you think of somewhere to bed down where you'll be safe and warm/dry/not too cold and wet? Where can you be indoors til late/from early?
    Is there somewhere you can travel to and stay, and is there a way to raise money from colleague/friend/whatever for a bus ticket?

There may be a rough sleeper outreach (looks like that's P3, I'd be surprised if they won't work with you, even if their accommodation is male-only) service there - get in touch and they'll probably give some advice on staying safe, may be able to visit and verify that you're rough sleeping, which may stir the council into some action.

I'm not meeting your emotion on this, so sorry if it's a bit clinical, but this is my field of work and at this point on Friday afternoon it's getting into practical mode that is in your interest - feel it later, take action now!

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by groove
    No vehicle. Nothing . The Haven are supposed to be calling me back.
    One thing i know about the Haven from dealings with them professionally they wont leave you in the lurch...if they can help they will.They deal with abused women all the time.You should still contact the council.

Theres also a homeless shelter in Wesley st (church run i think)

Sex
    Male
    Sorry to be reading this. What about friends or family who may put you up?
    Not all who wander are lost

Sex
    Female
    I truly have nowhere to go.