THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New van

New van

Hey guys,

So some of you may remember I had made a thread a while back about planning out a van build. As it conspires it never turned out to be practical to run a car AND van, and I couldn't make a large van work as my daily runner into the city (carparks etc). Just traded in my Renault for a VW Caddy so I am a very happy chap

I got the build more or less planned. Going to soundproof, insulate, carpet line the ply, fit a 3/4 width R&R bed, fabricate a unit for the remaining width that I can fit a hob/sink into at a later date. Then when money/time allows I'd like to fit a bonded window to the sliding door (nearside blindspot), and fit a cab heater and maybe a leisure battery - they should fit under the front seats.

I have some general questions tho if you guys could shed some light,,

- Going to buy some Silent Coat for the large areas like the single skin panels, should I go 2mm or 4mm?

- What should I use to soundproof wheel arches etc? is Silent Coat flexible or am I going to need something else for this?

- Planning on insulating with the quilted foil stuff for all surfaces, plus the large areas between struts/under panels with celotex

- What should I use to stuff akward cavities with - The fibrous rockwool type stuff? I'd like to avoid anything that'll be hydrophilic.

- Planning on carpet lining the current ply lining - I reckon I'll need to trim the panels to account for the carpet lining and maybe the insulation underneath?

- Should I run a conduit for an elec cable? Not going to hardwire a light just yet but I'd like to save myself any grief in the future

- I've found a guy who'll fabricate a R&R bed to my spec, but only the frame. Whats' the best way to mount cusions? I was thinking bolt a thin sheet of ply, and then put velcro strips onto those and on the back of the memory foam. That way it'll stay put? Or is there a simpler way?

Pick the van up tomorrow so I'll upload some pics
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, naturalspirit, nicklincs, wanderingwill

all sounds good to me ..we love photos of your progress

Right first order placed,, got a bulk pack of 2mm Silent Coat, a set of airbag compatible seat covers cos I'm forever spilling tea over myself, and a set of smoked wind/rain deflectors.

My mate says he'll fit a button camera on the rear bumper and can run it to a dedicated 7''lcd over my mirror, and he'll hardwire my dashcam at the same time. Bonus.

Next nice day I'll get the ply off, sound deadening on, and then see if I need to apply more before insulating. Decided don't have the headroom for celotex, tho I may get some for the areas behind the ply panels.

Photos to come! It's dark just now
    The following users think this post is groovy: wanderingwill

Can't get photobucket to F8cking work... not letting me copy img links!

/e: Just used imgsafe, photobucket is a POS

The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, nicklincs, Petew, wanderingwill, wurzel

OK so first step was to remove the bulkhead..

OK so first step was to remove the bulkhead..

Would have been a ten minute job if I hadn't had to remove the ply floor to get to the bottom bolts.

Now it's off I need to figure out the best way to cut it down to remount the b-pillar trim sections

/e: feckin hell sideway image? I give up
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, nicklincs

nice van

Cheers bud. It won't be for full time living but may have to depending on where I do my internship. Got a couple of big trips planned first one this June roadtrip down to Spain for Nowhere.

In two minds about carpeting out the rear - I saw a VW T4 build where the guy has used a vinyl or something, I think a marine / boating lining. Anyone know what I'm on about?

Quote Originally Posted by Highbinder View Post

In two minds about carpeting out the rear - I saw a VW T4 build where the guy has used a vinyl or something, I think a marine / boating lining. Anyone know what I'm on about?
    https://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-re...y-and-flooring like that?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/boat-flooring

I was thinking a foam backed lining, something like this maybe?

http://www.hawkehouse.co.uk/linings/...eadlining.html

No idea if it's appropriate for tight curves etc.

Don't know if I should get foam backed or not.

Need to decide what direction to go - currently I am thinking, buy a bit of 4 way stretch carpet to cover the b-pillars and exposed metal work (above the ply on the sides), and then buy some lining to 'upholster' the ply panels. Keep the ceiling as is for now.

I had previously planned to carpet everything but I have concerns with moisture and smell holding of carpet. And I fcking hate hoovering car carpet so I quite fancy wipe down on all the main surfaces

As I do not have any windows in the back intention is to use light colours on the surfaces. For the floor I think I'll be able to get some lino or floor panels cheap on gumtree.

Can't wait to see more photos of your build as it progresses. We're getting a NV200 to use mainly as a car but want to use it as a camper at weekends etc by making some fancy stuff to convert it when we feel like it. That is the plan anyway.
    Will be interested to see how you get things to fit as we were looking at the Caddy as well originally.

Bugger the carpet. Too much hard work to clean, and hassle as well with having to avoid wet/muddy shoes on it as far as possible.

In my van I have that limo/vinyl flooring stuff. Sheet is best IMO as avoids gaps in floor (between tiles) and getting damp underneath. You can get off-cuts or end of roll pieces cheap from flooring places and it's dead easy to fit yourself.

Lovely van mate. Best of luck with it and looking forward to more pictures!

EDIT: Should also say that if in the colder months you did want carpet, put a rug down!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, julianthegypsy, marshlander, nicklincs, parrotandcrow, Rick69, wanderingwill

Raffi writes wise words - lino or similar is great. You can get some lino with a cushioned backing, which is great. As the wise lady said, off-cuts are the thing to look out for :-)
    Smile - It'll make them nervous.

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    I have the best of both worlds in that I have lino with rugs on top. The rugs can be uplifted if it's wet and muddy.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, naturalspirit, nicklincs

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by parrotandcrow View Post
    I have the best of both worlds in that I have lino with rugs on top. The rugs can be uplifted if it's wet and muddy.
    Can you use them to slide along?
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, marshlander

Nice one guys, completely agree. It'll be CCF underlay and then some gumtree lino over the top I suspect. I had considered wood flooring but tbh a single piece lino will be much more practical. Working all bloody weekend so won't have much time over the next few days.

Next up is take off the ply lining and ceiling panel (need to see how to take the studs off), store them somewhere out the way, and get this silent coat stuff up. Should help a lot with road noise from reading peoples experiences .

Going to investigate vinyls and other liners. Foam backed headliner looks the bizz but expensive - not that I need much mind.

Ahh so today it's drizzling so I've been mulling over beds. I was set on a rock n roller type bed, but tbh I think I might be better off with a bench bed that pulls out.

Rock n roller looks slick, and I found a guy who will make one to spec for a reasonable amount, but I have nfi what I'd do about cushions and upholstering, and you also have to make the bed every time you want to use it too. The one I was looking at wasn't crash tested either so not suitable as a passenger seat anyway. And metal frame I bet it'll rattle too. Yep that's it talked myself out of it haven't I!

I had thought RnR bed and then a unit along the full offside of the van, but I think I might put a bench bed there (cannibalise a bed for its slats?) that pulls out, and then on the nearside run a unit up to the sidedoor.

Something like http://i.imgur.com/uLEgiA5.jpg
    The following users think this post is groovy: wanderingwill

The weather has been total shite for working on the van. Continued research and developing a course of action. I've decided the current ply needs to come out as it's not cut very well nor to the ceiling. I reckon I can reuse it as facing for the bed and also to construct the sink/hob unit.

Ordered some samples for foam (scrim) backed vinyl (leatherette), some white and some cream, want an idea of how flexible it is and whether there's any stretch to it.

Also ordered a big roll of 10mm adhesive backed CCF

So current list is:

1 - cut the bulkhead down and refit b-pillar trim
    2 - take out current ply siding and the ceiling
    3 - apply silent coat
    4 - layer with the 10mmCCF
    5 - potentially celotex sheets in the big cavities like at the windows and qtr panels
    6 - buy some ply sheeting and use old ply lining as template to make decent lining that actually covers the sides properly
    7 - same idea with ply panels on rear doors, re-do for full height
    8 - line the ply with foam backed vinyl *, **
    9 - rubber underlay*** under the ply floor, and then some nice lino over the top

* reckon I can just wrap it round the panels and staple? plus a bit of spray adhesive

** best way to hide the screws that hold the ply to the metal?

*** need to decide what if anyone has suggestions? was thinking something like

This is ALL new to me so any reassurance would be awesome guys

Quote Originally Posted by Highbinder View Post
    ** best way to hide the screws that hold the ply to the metal?
    Countersink the screws and fill with filler (sawdust mixed with a little pva and some wood-stain/paint depending on finish).

Use brass screws and cup washers and dont worry about hiding them would be the route i took. That way if you ever need them off they are accessible.

The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanh1989 View Post
    Countersink the screws and fill with filler (sawdust mixed with a little pva and some wood-stain/paint depending on finish).

The ply will be covered with vinyl - so I was thinking screw caps maybe? Never seen any before let alone used em, need to do some google fu.

Rick, that's a good shout, I was thinking maybe make them a feature.

Well guys the weather has been nice so got a bit of work done this afternoon. Took off the ply lining, the ceiling piece, and gave it a quick clean down, then started on the silent coat. Did the roof and wheel arches, going to tackle the walls next.

The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, essexcamper, nicklincs, Rick69, Steev, wanderingwill

How are you all doing. Had the afternoon free so did a bit more of the silentcoat.

Question - I've got a few left, am I better covering the metal work (the tubular? stuff) between the single skin sections that i've covered or not bothering and using it elsewhere? (in the cavity under the seats perhaps to help deal with road noise)

The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, wanderingwill

It's a pity I'm not getting much in the way of feedback, I am just pottering on in a very DIY manner,, the other day we had some rare sunshine here in Glasgow so I finished off the silentcoat on the barn doors.

Yesterday I got the vinyl wrap off the windows and got em tinted This is brilliant as it's really brightened up the inside of the van as I've yet to figure out how to put a window on the sliding door.

Today I was feeling brave so started on the 10mm foam insulation. Let me tell you,, this stuff is STICKY. Holy hsit. I did the roof first as it was the easiest, and then when I did the qtr panel I decided to do a slightly different tactic for install, I used a stanley to take a square of backing off from the centre, lined up the top edge, but stuck it in the middle, which allowed me to work out to the edges and ATTEMPT (badly, especially in the photos) to finish the sides to the edge of where the ply will go back over.

I am going to do the sides in pieces, so I'll do the wheel arch hopefully in one piece all the way up to the bottom of the grey panel (you can see it in the last photos), which I will also wrap. It might be a little bit ugly but it's all gonna get covered over anyway, and I figure as long as the seams are flat (not double layered) I can always carpet over the whole lot later if I don't like the ply lining.

The following users think this post is groovy: irishdreamer, realnutter, Rick69