So some of you may remember I had made a thread a while back about planning out a van build. As it conspires it never turned out to be practical to run a car AND van, and I couldn't make a large van work as my daily runner into the city (carparks etc). Just traded in my Renault for a VW Caddy so I am a very happy chap
I got the build more or less planned. Going to soundproof, insulate, carpet line the ply, fit a 3/4 width R&R bed, fabricate a unit for the remaining width that I can fit a hob/sink into at a later date. Then when money/time allows I'd like to fit a bonded window to the sliding door (nearside blindspot), and fit a cab heater and maybe a leisure battery - they should fit under the front seats.
I have some general questions tho if you guys could shed some light,,
- Going to buy some Silent Coat for the large areas like the single skin panels, should I go 2mm or 4mm?
- What should I use to soundproof wheel arches etc? is Silent Coat flexible or am I going to need something else for this?
- Planning on insulating with the quilted foil stuff for all surfaces, plus the large areas between struts/under panels with celotex
- What should I use to stuff akward cavities with - The fibrous rockwool type stuff? I'd like to avoid anything that'll be hydrophilic.
- Planning on carpet lining the current ply lining - I reckon I'll need to trim the panels to account for the carpet lining and maybe the insulation underneath?
- Should I run a conduit for an elec cable? Not going to hardwire a light just yet but I'd like to save myself any grief in the future
- I've found a guy who'll fabricate a R&R bed to my spec, but only the frame. Whats' the best way to mount cusions? I was thinking bolt a thin sheet of ply, and then put velcro strips onto those and on the back of the memory foam. That way it'll stay put? Or is there a simpler way?
Pick the van up tomorrow so I'll upload some pics