THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are you lonely?

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Are you lonely?

Please watch this and do something about it!

https://www.ted.com/talks/robert_wal...ss?language=en
    The following users think this post is groovy: Zambaku

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    the word lonely is not a part of my vocabulary or my life.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

Sex
    Male
    I'm not happy not because I'm on my own but as it's bloody raining again and dog2 is wet, stinky and asleep under my chair. I do miss having a partner to share stuff with after losing the O/H of 40yrs but no longer have to be a carer after 12yrs of getting on with it and worrying about getting ill.
    I'm content in my world as I don't do 'herd mentality', have no needs of fancy trappings or gadgets although thoughts of a fuckbuddy does cross my mind occasionally.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, aman, cricket, dollybassett, etherea, hagrid, nicklincs, quintessence

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    The burden of the video is that lonely people have shorter lives of poorer quailty. By exactly how much he didn't say, but the study of which he is the current director is, I presume, in the public domain. It has tracked men right through their lives starting in the 1930s.

It's one of those times when scientific findings agree exactly with common sense, viz, for most people, life is better with friendships, and on average, outcomes are worse for lonely people. There have to be some people for whom it doesn't work, but on the whole it is true.

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfie View Post
    although thoughts of a fuckbuddy does cross my mind occasionally.
    aren't there web sites for that??
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    This article is about how loneliness affects DNA. It is referring to African Grey parrots, but is equally applicable to humans (and other social species).

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0404221746.htm
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.

Sex
    Male
    If people are lonely, why not have a organization where you go, fill out a form and they come out with someone who might be compatible with you. Voilá - Friends R Us! I have seriously thought about starting something like this =)
    Love everyone, even those who hate you, because they need your love the most.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Miss_bee

I'm not happy not because I'm on my own but as it's bloody raining again and dog2 is wet, stinky and asleep under my chair. I do miss having a partner to share stuff with after losing the O/H of 40yrs but no longer have to be a carer after 12yrs of getting on with it and worrying about getting ill.
    I'm content in my world as I don't do 'herd mentality', have no needs of fancy trappings or gadgets although thoughts of a fuckbuddy does cross my mind occasionally.
    I would like one of them, care for eachother and have fun, but don't have to live together or get married
    The following users think this post is groovy: Wulfie

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by Zambaku View Post
    If people are lonely, why not have a organization where you go, fill out a form and they come out with someone who might be compatible with you. Voilá - Friends R Us! I have seriously thought about starting something like this =)
    It could work, go for it!

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    I am alone but not lonely. As an ex said, your a brilliant friend a good lover but a crap husband, think that about sums me up
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, frame69, Sootyfoot

Sex
    Female
    WG,that did make me laugh,and Ive been on a 12 hr shift at work today too! Thanks for the giggle lol xox
    The following users think this post is groovy: wandering gypsy

Sex
    Female
    Not any more..but i know 1st hand you dont have to be alone to be lonely..its also possible in a busy house full of people xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, parrotandcrow

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by wandering gypsy View Post
    I am alone but not lonely. As an ex said, your a brilliant friend a good lover but a crap husband, think that about sums me up
    probably sums up most, gypsy!!!

Turning On
    Sex
    Male
    At the moment yes but it's specific - am suddenly apart from from partner of a decade and my son. We are still hanging out a lot but each day I have to leave to bed down on my own and that is near unbearable. I don't know what's going to happen next or what to do and I'm bloody miserable.
    There are mates around but not right here and the sadness is in me. No-one I want to turn to and suddenly there's no closeness in my days.

That said the boy and I both wriggled down in one sleeping bag for a laugh yesterday which topped me up for a while

Sex
    Female
    Sorry to hear that Alf M!I can feel lonely sometimes.Most of my family are in Australia,including my son.Two daughters over here,one moved to Cornwall so her partner could take a uni placement,the other studied in Reading,met a guy and lives in Hampshire where his job is.I have friends,but not what I call close(my close mates are in Oz)and I can't seem to find anyone I really click with.We've also moved around alot which does'nt exactly help.
    The following users think this post is groovy: quintessence

Musical hippy dreadhead maddy harper's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    Yes I would say I'm lonely

Sex
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by maddy harper View Post
    Yes I would say I'm lonely

I know what you mean maddy,but i said before ,its possible to be lonely in a full house...never feel lonely when you ve got us lot 😊xx

Sex
    Male
    I get lonely just travelling around aimlessly on my own. I do prefer the freedom and choices it affords me though. I live seperate to my partner and the kids and this suits me also. I don't have enough time left to be lonely. There's many a stranger to tell a tale with, but deep friendship remains devoted to those I do know well. I can go upto 14 days in the woods on my own before I have to accost someone preferably family.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by alices wonderland View Post
    I can go upto 14 days in the woods on my own before I have to accost someone preferably family.
    You could visit Hagrid, he is probably hiding in the woods in his fallout shelter
    Form is nothingness and nothingness is form.

Sex
    Female

Ryokan

“Too lazy to be ambitious,
    I let the world take care of itself.
    Ten days' worth of rice in my bag;
    a bundle of twigs by the fireplace.
    Why chatter about delusion and enlightenment?
    Listening to the night rain on my roof,
    I sit comfortably, with both legs stretched out.”

Ryokan What you said reminded me of this quote.Ryokan is well sound ,have a peek.To lose your soul mate after 40 years,must feel like the sky fell in. No quotes could be found about the unique hound steaming aroma though.

Sex
    Female
    isnt this already friends are us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zambaku View Post

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by rhythm View Post
    You could visit Hagrid, he is probably hiding in the woods in his fallout shelter
    he would be more than welcome, at least he hasn't got a closed mind like some I could mention.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, wandering gypsy

Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by hagrid View Post
    he would be more than welcome, at least he hasn't got a closed mind like some I could mention.
    I am trying to figure out the location of your fallout shelter, I reckon south/southwest, up North would be too cold. One place that would be good that has lots of resources would be the new forest. I will find your secret lair
    Form is nothingness and nothingness is form.

lone wolf survivalist.
    Sex
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by rhythm View Post
    I am trying to figure out the location of your fallout shelter, I reckon south/southwest, up North would be too cold. One place that would be good that has lots of resources would be the new forest. I will find your secret lair
    you obviously haven't looked at my location under my name to the left of this post!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket