THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the flea market laws like in the UK?

Sex
    Male

What's the flea market laws like in the UK?

I'm wondering what the flea market laws are like in the UK? In Sweden it's pretty much impossible to live a nomadic life and sell things as you travel around. You need a shit ton of paperwork to do anything here. I just wanna go around and sell homemade trinkets or pretty things I find along the way for some food and the bare essentials.
    Love everyone, even those who hate you, because they need your love the most.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Female
    Your best chance in the UK is what we call Car Boot Sales. They are informal casual sales that are held on car parks and fields, usually at weekends. You pay for a pitch to sell from and that's it.

Sex
    Male
    That is most righteous! You can do something similar in Sweden too, but you gotta have the paperworks, and you gotta pay the government a percentage of what you make so you can't really support yourself here on that =(

Sex
    Male
    I wonder if anyone here feels the way I do, that they really don't have a place in society? =)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot, zendaze

Sex
    Male

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Zambaku
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I wonder if anyone here feels the way I do, that they really don't have a place in society? =)
    Dude we are fucking hippies...

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, parrotandcrow, Petew

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Zambaku
    Would that be a good thing or a bad thing now?
    The following users think this post is groovy: naturalspirit, Sootyfoot

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Sootyfoot
    Dude we are fucking hippies...

The trouble is, you think you have time.

The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Sex
    Male

What's the flea market laws like in the UK?

Can you earn money from car boots though? They can get rid of some crap for a few ££££ but wouldn't want to try and make a living from it.
    Last edited by Petew; 06-03--2017 at 09:19 PM.

Sex
    Male
    Hahaha, I know, I know, sootyfoot =)

Brynhyffryd; It's neither good nor bad, it just is =)

I just want to be the guy everyone can come to if they need something, and I can't really fill that roll. For some, yes. But not everyone, and that's just an issue that resides with me =) That's what I meant by not having a place, a highly personal preference, I know.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Petew
    Can you earn money from car boots though? They can get rid of some crap for a few ££££ but wouldn't want to try and male a living from it.
    I get the impression that it is something of a career for the regulars, who can make a reasonable but not exciting income, with occasional windfalls coming their way in the form of wads of banknotes left in the pockets of garments, etc etc.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Chilling Out
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Brynhyffryd
    I get the impression that it is something of a career for the regulars, who can make a reasonable but not exciting income, with occasional windfalls coming their way in the form of wads of banknotes left in the pockets of garments, etc etc.
    I know a woman who takes around a grand a week doing 4 boot sales a week selling used designer label clothes gleaned from charity shops in well to do towns , exiting enough for you
    The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, nicklincs, Petew

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by boneheaddread
    I know a woman who takes around a grand a week doing 4 boot sales a week selling used designer label clothes gleaned from charity shops in well to do towns , exiting enough for you
    I live in a shite town so probably not good for me then.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Petew
    I live in a shite town so probably not good for me then.
    Au contraire, in a shite town you don't have the nice charity shops so your canny shopper uses carboots. Plus it would not be a huge financial risk to try it, you might even be able to get stock on sale or return.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs, Petew

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by boneheaddread
    Takes a grand, less purchases and sundry disbursements, say £750 net before tax, that's almost as much as my plumber! Sounds like hard work though.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

Sex
    Male

... before tax..

The following users think this post is groovy: Brynhyffryd, Petew

Sex
    Male

Au contraire, in a shite town you don't have the nice charity shops so your canny shopper uses carboots. Plus it would not be a huge financial risk to try it, you might even be able to get stock on sale or return.

But what sells, When i did a car boot at the start of last year, nothing much sold. DVDs def not and i dont want to buy a load of crap and get stuck with it.

Tuning In
    Sex
    Male
    I did them for a while selling collectables and antiques it can be good if you have the right stuff all my best stuff went streght away leaving the not so great.

what I did spot was a lady who went to all of the local ones selling cheap sweets penny chews ect most mums and dads gave their kids some cash and bosh she always took loads
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy, nicklincs, Petew, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Rick69

If you say so. If I was making that sort of money I would not want to expose myself to the risk of someone ratting on me.

Sex
    Male
    A grand a week sounds good for four days work... But four days when it doesn't piss down...
    250 a day =
    125 stock if yr lucky enough to double up ie quality goes first crap don't sell
    10 + pitch
    10 fuel approx
    = profit 105 until tax man catches you and takes his chunk
    Then you have time involved buying your stock, sorting the shit from shine
    Storing stock and space to store the shit, oops I mean quality items lol
    Its a hard game.

Having said that I love car boot sales and have made very good money selling store returns. Its still one of the only things not totally regulated even though they are trying.

Good luck

One life, live it
    Sex
    Male
    EBay is the new rock and roll, car boot sales have a place but nobody wants to spend more than 50p.

Sex
    Male

If you say so. If I was making that sort of money I would not want to expose myself to the risk of someone ratting on me.
    You only make enough to stay under your personal allowance, once all your fuel, vehicle costs, paying your secretary (missus) etc is deducted. Plus its a cash business, half of it isnt even declared if you've got any sense..
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, nicklincs, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Rick69
    You only make enough to stay under your personal allowance, once all your fuel, vehicle costs, paying your secretary (missus) etc is deducted. Plus its a cash business, half of it isnt even declared if you've got any sense..
    That half is where the danger lies. An investigation by HMRC is expensive to handle. £750 pw = £39K pa, personal allowance is about 10.5K, bit of a gap to explain.

Sex
    Male

That half is where the danger lies. An investigation by HMRC is expensive to handle. £750 pw = £39K pa, personal allowance is about 10.5K, bit of a gap to explain.
    Crazy ostentation will get you caught out... That brand new Range Rover won't pass muster as essential for work, therefore tax deductible..... and these days, keeping cash under the mattress is nearly as good a savings plan as using a bank.... Keep it sensible, hide most of your takings, and you'll be fine...
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, Petew, Rick69, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by realnutter
    Crazy ostentation will get you caught out... That brand new Range Rover won't pass muster as essential for work, therefore tax deductible..... and these days, keeping cash under the mattress is nearly as good a savings plan as using a bank.... Keep it sensible, hide most of your takings, and you'll be fine...
    Promise you will come and see us on visiting days?