Thread: LDV convoy conversion pre insulation

Noobie

LDV convoy conversion pre insulation

Hi gang,

We recently purchased a 2004 convoy minibus and are on our way to making it into a mobile home. Took out 11 of the 17 seats, tore out the siding and flooring... Found a few holes, ready to be welded. Only the glued carpet on the ceiling remains...

The question is - should we work at taking it out or would it be alright to leave it in and put celotex (or equivalent) on top?

It's glued right on... if you think we should take it out, are there any tips as to how to get it off more efficiently?

Here's a couple of pics of our baby to whet your appetite ;-)

Thanks a bunch!!

Helen 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

First off hello

Looking forward to another build thread, but the first thing i would do is make it watertight. Its an ldv, there will be leaks unless someone has sorted them. Check the gutters, the sealant cracks and lets in water - run a hose all over the roof and gutters.

Pull up the carpet in the cab, if it isnt wet then buy a lottery ticket as you are obviously lucky! Wiper spindles and windscreen seal are worth checking. If it is wet then pull it out as the water soaks the foam and rots the floor out.

Looks like you have a relatively rust free example, what are your plans for it?

As Rick said, check the windscreen seals... that water stain in the headlining over the cab has probably soaked upwards from the top of the screen...

I've got stains in the same place in mine... I've been warned that taking the screens out to replace the seals is not easy, and often results in breakage... best to get a professional to do it for you....

Heavenly Creature
    Where's your radio areal? Ours is the passenger side front corner. It wasn't until we actually fitted an areal, we realised the hole was too big! That doesn't matter to the fibreglass roof, but the water will run into the steel windscreen surround.

im looking forward to this goodluck

Noobie
    Wow, thanks for this! That's been very helpful already

Will get on to checking the gutters and the seals this weekend when we'll be working on the van. I have a feeling it'll be a slow moving process as we've mainly got time on the weekends... Also waiting for the parking permit still, which means we can't park it at our house yet except for Sat / Sun.

Plan is pretty simple really: build a double bed in the back (non-folding) with storage on sides, below and above; some storage above the seats in the front and a small removable stove/sink unit behind the drivers seat. We've kept 3 of the seats so that we could drive a couple friends around and if we're going on a longer trip, we'll replace the seats with the sink/stove unit. Plan on converting a top opening freezer into a fridge as well.

Thinking of putting in a waterless eco toilet - any thoughts on that?

The first trip we're planning is to spend summer in France / Portugal / Spain.

Can't wait!

The following users think this post is groovy: wanderingwill

Having followed the advice from others on here my eco toilet is similar to this one..

The following users think this post is groovy: Kanarbik

Noobie
    Hullo again

Spring is in the air!

We've been doing some slow paced de-rusting and painting on our van. Ordered Sikaflex and other supplies online that are supposed to arrive later this week.

We did come across a surprise hole at the front on the passenger side. See attached photo. Bit of a shocker that one.

What's the consensus here - is this fixable by some DIY welding or would it make more sense to get a whole new step & wheel arch?

20170311_155120.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

it needs cutting out and more steel welded in.. if you have the step replaced will be quite exspensive.. ive had worse on my pug boxer .. a patch could be put over ..depends on your buget ..thats my opinion for what its worth.. there may be someone on here that could do it for you.. looks a good bus though dont let the rust put you off ...
    Last edited by wanderingwill; 16-03--2017 at 12:42 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Kanarbik

Heavenly Creature
    That's nothing special. Get it patched up and put the plastic step liner back, you will forget it's there.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, Kanarbik, Rick69

If it were mine i would be tempted to cut it out and weld a new one in as id be doing it myself, however as stated above a patch and refit the step would be more than adequate.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, Kanarbik

If you're on Facebook, join the Club LDV group.. it's a mine of useful information... As far as I know, you won't get repair panels for any parts of the floor, so patches will have to be fabricated, but any competent welder should be able to do that... Your's isn't as bad as mine was.. I paid 450 to have my floor repaired!!!

I wouldn't put the nasty foam floor mat back in, nor the plastic step liners... they're both moisture traps, which caused the rot in the first place... downside of course is increased nose in the cab.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, Kanarbik, wanderingwill