THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Down the rabbit hole!

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    Sex
    Male

Down the rabbit hole!

This is pretty amazing
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the tunnel actually unearths untouched caves which were used by followers of the Knights Templars a medieval religious order that fought in the Crusades.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, FriedOnion, marshlander, naturalspirit

Sex
    Female
    Thats amazing Paul!Looks beautiful.

Sex
    Male
    That is so cool, Amazing that it's not been touched. It looks immaculate.

Sex
    Male
    Thanks for posting. It's a beautiful place and I can see why they shut it off from the graffiti on the soft sandstone. If it was left open it would just get destroyed in no time.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Sex
    Female
    I want to find something amazing like that!!!

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    I knew it was there and i know which village its by but now its all over facebook and the gutter press it wont be long before its invaded and trashed.Its a shame that its managed to stay hidden so long and now because someone wants their 15 mins of fame in the press its pretty well bolloxed
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: etherea, Lightbringer

Sex
    Male
    As a kid I used to play at night in the ruins of Witley Court and get down the cellars and into the crypt but none of us ever did damage, we were just a nuisance on hindsight. At the court other peeps would try and get into the room under the fountain as some twunt had started a rumour that the hellfire club used to use it for ritual. I only got the chance to look as an adult as a mate worked there and it was nothing of the sort, just a great looking chamber for the fountain fittings. So all the damage caused by peeps trying to break in was for nothing.

Now it's out, that place which I doubt ever saw a 'Templer' ( IMO just a romantic story to get bums on seats or nowadays - gullible viewers) will be trashed in no time unless it's sealed off for regulated entry.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Sex
    Female

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    I knew it was there and i know which village its by but now its all over facebook and the gutter press it wont be long before its invaded and trashed.Its a shame that its managed to stay hidden so long and now because someone wants their 15 mins of fame in the press its pretty well bolloxed
    Is it something that the locals knew about already then? Surely it'll be preserved as an ancient artimafact..

Sex
    Male
    To preserve it Emma will mean money. My thoughts would be for archaeologists to do their thing, someone to do a 3d mapping so as to recreate a replica which could be explored through a headset and just bulldoze over the entrance to preserve such a special place to protect it from idiots until such time peeps can respect such artefacts.

Sex
    Male
    There were some caves in my home town by the Severn but they were part of the houses built in front of them so they were safe At Kinver Edge not far away there were similar cave homes that had been there decades untouched.There was a dusused nuclear bunker there too now privately owned....Then some twunt ran an article in the local paper about the cave housed and it got on the BBC midland local news and the place was trashed.The council had to erect barricades and seal.it all off.Theyre owned by the National Trust now

I doubt the place in the OP is KnightsTemplar...its more likely been built to hide monks and priests like you find priest hidey holes and secret escape tunnels in period houses of that era...just pseudo scientific speculation from a youtube dickhesd..wont be long before someones saying its a secret lizard alien complex.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 09-03--2017 at 12:44 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, Lightbringer

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by emmadilemma
    Is it something that the locals knew about already then? Surely it'll be preserved as an ancient artimafact..
    Not everyone knows about them...its like lots of local things people know are there in their area and nobody bothers about them.I only know because of friend of mine lives there and went to school with him.The whole area has hidden caves as its mostly sandstone.Theres another 300 year old cave system in that area..many of them are barred over for safety reasons.
    One cave house collspsed and killed a young lad a few years ago so in general local people.keep away from them.
    .Now this on is all over the internet it will need protecting
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 09-03--2017 at 12:26 AM.

Transcending
    Sex
    Male
    I'd be happy to find one of those in the garden.

Wine cellar ? Root veg store ?

Sex
    Male
    Depending where you are in the Country and what the bedrock consists of, determines how much underground activity existed. Sandstone being easy to carve out was common for storage, even later dwellings. Some High streets in towns have backrooms or cellars that are remnants of those years. Often blocked up when shop fronts were built. Often finding old wax candles and other objects left behind, of little value to them back then. Nottingham City is a warren of caves, mostly known about and often cave tours are held for the paying public. Estate houses, monastery's have escape tunnels often leading to old coach houses/inns. It's one of those things that it would be wise to tell few about and gets forgotten over time. Still it's a nice find for the farmer, a ready made income source and tourist attraction.

- - - Updated - - -

Depending where you are in the Country and what the bedrock consists of, determines how much underground activity existed. Sandstone being easy to carve out was common for storage, even later dwellings. Some High streets in towns have backrooms or cellars that are remnants of those years. Often blocked up when shop fronts were built. Often finding old wax candles and other objects left behind, of little value to them back then. Nottingham City is a warren of caves, mostly known about and often cave tours are held for the paying public. Estate houses, monastery's have escape tunnels often leading to old coach houses/inns. It's one of those things that it would be wise to tell few about and gets forgotten over time. Still it's a nice find for the farmer, a ready made income source and tourist attraction.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Sex
    Female

Down the rabbit hole!

There's a huge house near me that has a secret tunnel that leads down a hill, it's stoned up and I only know about it because it was a hotel before and my mums ex ex ex ex ex ex ex (could be more ) was the manager. Recently in the next town a whole new street was found! I'll try find a paper article
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Sex
    Female

Sex
    Male
    My grans step brother -who in contrast to her own poverty- was exceedingly rich in the 1940's and owned a large house on the banks of the river severn,he actually owned seversl there.Behind the big house was a large sandstone cliff and cut into it was a half mile long tunnel that went to a local manor house the other side of the railway..It was wide enough for a barge but there was a rowing boat in it and the water was well deep enough to paddle the boat full length to a pond the other end where there was a disused forge and quarry... its a campsite now..I saw the tunnel when i was a child before the old man moved out..The house was sold.and remained empty for years and went into disrepair,the tunnel bricked up.I went back there with my grans brother on a nostalgia trip in the 90's a short time before he died and the house hsd been renovated, the tunnel still bricked up covered in climbing rose.The owner was gracious to let the old man look around for old times sake and the old man asked the owner impishly if he knew what was behind the bricks but he had no clue of the history of the house or what was there behind the bricks and the old man smiled winked at me grabbed my arm said thankyou snd goodbye and we left..neither of us let on.Hopefully it will stay a secret.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 11-03--2017 at 10:02 AM.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    My grans step brother -who in contrast to her own poverty- was exceedingly rich in the 1940's and owned a large house on the banks of the river severn,he actually owned seversl there.Behind the big house was a large sandstone cliff and cut into it was a half mile long tunnel that went to a local manor house the other side of the railway..It was wide enough for a barge but there was a rowing boat in it and the water was well deep enough to paddle the boat full length to a pond the other end where there was a disused forge and quarry... its a campsite now..I saw the tunnel when i was a child before the old man moved out..The house was sold.and remained empty for years and went into disrepair,the tunnel bricked up.I went back there with my grans brother on a nostalgia trip in the 90's a short time before he died and the house hsd been renovated, the tunnel still bricked up covered in climbing rose.The owner was gracious to let the old man look around for old times sake and the old man asked the owner impishly if he knew what was behind the bricks but he had no clue of the history of the house or what was there behind the bricks and the old man smiled winked at me grabbed my arm said thankyou snd goodbye and we left..neither of us let on.Hopefully it will stay a secret.
    we should all chip in and buy the place, turn the tunnel in to grow rooms. Sell up in a few years or then turn it into a traveller retreat.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Sex
    Male
    A wealthy builder owns it.....and the other end of the tunnel a rock.guitarist owns...so just a few million or so.....i doubt us mere hippys would get a sniff
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 11-03--2017 at 12:18 PM.