THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Edible flowers

  1. #1
    Me gone,bye bye.. NomadicRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Warks
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,589

    Edible flowers

    If you fancy munching your way through your flower bed this year,heres a few starters

    https://www.westcoastseeds.com/garde...dible-flowers/
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo


  2. #2
    Heavenly Creature Wulfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Alfheim
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    62
    Posts
    2,687
    Wild garlic, loads of that, be popping up soon and sucking foxglove bells for their sugary bases (don't eat tho) .
    Not all who wander are lost

  3. #3
    Shed Junkie alices wonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    dissident field dweller
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,645
    That's great NT we can all do with a bit of grazing. My diet has turned pretty rubbish over the last few months.
    One thing I would say for anyone trying these out for the first time. Is read a book, look at the photographs in comparison before eating. Wild flowers are generally found In Wild places. Since railways and extensive pleasure gardening came along. Many hybrids, garden varieties have escaped and spread. Airborne seeds get sucked along rail tracks and roads by trains and vehicles. Many garden varieties are a close variation of the original 'wild' genus and not necessarily still edible.

    If in doubt. Try a test. If it's the flower your going to try. First put just one flower petal inside your bottom lip and wait 10 minutes, if no reaction. Try placing a whole flower under your lip, if still OK, Try eating one. Bodies are wired to protect themselves and your mind can trick you into feeling sick or just uncomfortable after eating strange food. Just to be on the safe side. Put a full, un-eaten flower in your shirt pocket or any pocket. Remember to tell someone what you've tried and which pocket the flower is in. Should you have a anaphylactic shock or bad reaction. The Doctors can identify to poisons/toxins/chemicals from the flower head.
    Spring tree leaves are a nice additive to meals eaten fresh.

    Last year Ray Mears (at one of his talks, book signings) was telling us about his respected mycologists friend, in days back at University. Rays friend would ask for all the try's of mushroom samples at the end of the day that the students had been studying. They also left him a tray of the edible ones out and he would collect them from the labs after hours. He was interested in finding the many edible mushroom growing in the UK and took the opportunity to line all similar looking fungi up in rows next to each other, to help with his own identification in the field. He placed edible mushroom next to the poisonous close cousin mushrooms etc.
    He also asked for any un-used (edible) mushrooms to be left on a tray for him to cook and eat that night.
    Ray said he was in the students bar one evening and his friend walked in as usual. He bought a drink and was just talking stood at the bar. Feeling unwell he racked his brains as to what he thought could be the cause. He asked the bar staff for a stick-it-note and quickly wrote down the names of possible fungi he coukd have eaten by mistake. Pinning it to his chest moments before Collapsing onto the floor. The ambulance was called and the Stick-it-note saved his life. He had infact collected the wrong tray from the lab that night.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

  4. #4
    Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bungo Acres
    Gender
    Other
    Posts
    4,927
    Thats interesting AW, I think ink caps can make you sick if you drink alcohol on top of them , there are probably others .I am way more confident with wild plant material than fungis , I think a spore test can often be the only super accurate identifier with some species.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Shroom, yazz

  5. #5
    Heavenly Creature Shroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,501
    Quote Originally Posted by ma bungo View Post
    Thats interesting AW, I think ink caps can make you sick if you drink alcohol on top of them , there are probably others .I am way more confident with wild plant material than fungis , I think a spore test can often be the only super accurate identifier with some species.
    my old man used to stop and pick ink caps whenever he saw them , consequently i got to quite like them fried in butter , but have not eaten one since i heard they can be toxic if alcohol has been consumed in last 24 hrs, some kind of reaction between a weak toxin in the ink caps and the drink making strong liver poison ?
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

  6. #6
    Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Bungo Acres
    Gender
    Other
    Posts
    4,927
    I will defo be giving the inky ones a miss

  7. #7
    Tuning In
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    South West
    Gender
    Private
    Posts
    287
    My understanding is it's not a poison as such, but similar to the Antabuse consequence - interaction with liver function means the alcohol is converted into hangover juice and you get all the headache/nausea etc. without the pleasant bit first.

  8. #8
    Heavenly Creature Wulfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Alfheim
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    62
    Posts
    2,687
    Parasol mushrooms fried in butter with a little garlic on toast are a simple feast



    Don't touch them in Europe or USA as there's a poisonous one which is similar.
    Last edited by Wulfie; 09-03--2017 at 11:53 AM.
    Not all who wander are lost

  9. #9
    Heavenly Creature Shroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,501
    i may have omitted the word 'shaggy' before ink caps , seems the shaggy ones do not have this interaction with the blessed booze and evil liver !! , more research is required ................

  10. #10
    Shed Junkie alices wonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    dissident field dweller
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,645
    I've eaten them on several occations, not being one to go a day without booze. I've eaten a few and really, really enjoyed them. So much so that on one occasion I cooked loads up and forced them down. This was not such a nice experience. Don't know if it was the alcohol or volume of ink caps. But Ive not eaten them again since.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •