Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crowdfunding (adapted live-in vehicle)

Crowdfunding (adapted live-in vehicle)

Hiya folks... I've recently set up a crowd funder to help with the costs of a disabled road home... not just for myself but to enable disabled guests to join us on road trips. Long story but would anyone be interested in having a nosey? Maybe even able to donate a little? Every penny counts and I mean every penny!

Hope all are well and happy.

Love and Light
    HippyNell x

Link?

Where the link? There's loads of disabled folk who can't join in for transport reasons.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

I didn't post the link straight away, wanted to ensure nobody would be opposed first..

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfund...term=aeEW7NYJ4

Alices Wonderland, there really is and I have met so many along my journey who would love to adventure but simply can't due to not being able to be accommodated.

hi nell welcome to hippy...
    The following users think this post is groovy: HippyNell

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    What charity is this connected to, or is it a personal project?

I mean, you could be very well intentioned, but the justgiving page makes it look like a personal idea -- have you got contacts, links, plans, costings, feasibility studies, or anything at all set in stone -- or are you just after other people to buy you a van, with a whim of an idea to be altruistic?

How many people do you expect to take around per month, or per year - have you researched the demand, public liability insurance, private hire insurance, the cost of paying professionally qualified carers etc, or could the money be better spent on providing alternative holidays?

If this is a charity, social enterprise or business, then why not get a business plan, apply for a loan, get it rolling and then collect donations retroactively?

Pardon me for being suspicious, but I'm suspicious.
    The following users think this post is groovy: glowingsunsets, HippyNell, wandering gypsy, Wulfie

Only three posts in 24hrs, one asking is someone got their caravan they asked for and the second is asking for money. No introduction post and nobody knows you. My O/H is disabled and when peeps show the 'disabled sympathy card' I do look to see if I can help but sorry, I am suspicious.

From experience that size vehicle will cater for one disabled person + carer when it comes to 'entry',(hoist/ramp), wheelchair space inside for ablutions, legal seating, kitchen and sleeping. For two people who are disabled, it would really be hard work. Then there's the need for two qualified carers to satisfy the insurance as you'll need to comply with certain guidelines depending on the disability.
    Last edited by Wulfie; 12-03--2017 at 09:57 AM.
    Not all who wander are lost

I'm not a charity, its a personal project and born from the events outlined in the story on the page. I have no intention of creating a business enterprise from this and just wanted to offer the van to disabled and less able bodied adventurers to enable them to experience life on the road too.
    There is a rather large market for it, especially given that I'd not be charging them. I would expect them to have their own carers, this isn't something that would come with the deal.

I plan to be very open with all the costings and would upload invoices and receipts for anyone who donated to see exactly where the money is going and would continue with a monthly or bi-monthly newsletter with evidence of the bus being used for the purpose people donated for and then if ever a time came that I became less mobile again or my health deteriorated, the bus would be donated to a disabled help/support group in order for them to continue with the journey.

I totally get why some people will be suspicious and in this day and age you can never be too careful but I haven't done anything like this before and I'm not entirely sure how I could go about reassuring people of the sincerity behind my intentions and plans. I'm just a young Yorkshire lass that had a shitty run at life and wanted to give something back to the support groups around that helped scrape me off the floor when I was at my lowest.

Wulfie, I have a small caravan I can no longer use, going to waste and getting damp, that I thought might be able to be donated to them, that's why I commented.

Any advice, direction, criticism (preferably constructive :P) help or similar is gratefully received and appreciated.

....and Thank you Wanderingwill. I did say Hello in the new members blog but nobody replied. Not sure if my post posted correctly though. I should check that out

What peeps are seeing on your crowdfunder
    Weʼre raising 15,000 to Help fund the purchase and conversion of a travelling disabled friendly hostel. That will allow us to take disabled and less mobile guests.
    So I decided it would be my mission to buy a minibus, to convert it into a camper van that was accommodating for disabled and less able bodied adventurers and their needs and take all these amazing people on road trips all over the UK.
    is you're taking the disabled. If they have to supply their own carers then where do they go when the bus is on the road. I'm not being negative just pointing out shortcomings unless the bus is lent out to them when you are not using it?

Quote Originally Posted by HippyNell View Post
    I'm not a charity, its a personal project and born from the events outlined in the story on the page. I have no intention of creating a business enterprise from this and just wanted to offer the van to disabled and less able bodied adventurers to enable them to experience life on the road too.
    There is a rather large market for it, especially given that I'd not be charging them. I would expect them to have their own carers, this isn't something that would come with the deal.

I plan to be very open with all the costings and would upload invoices and receipts for anyone who donated to see exactly where the money is going and would continue with a monthly or bi-monthly newsletter with evidence of the bus being used for the purpose people donated for and then if ever a time came that I became less mobile again or my health deteriorated, the bus would be donated to a disabled help/support group in order for them to continue with the journey.

I totally get why some people will be suspicious and in this day and age you can never be too careful but I haven't done anything like this before and I'm not entirely sure how I could go about reassuring people of the sincerity behind my intentions and plans. I'm just a young Yorkshire lass that had a shitty run at life and wanted to give something back to the support groups around that helped scrape me off the floor when I was at my lowest.

Wulfie, I have a small caravan I can no longer use, going to waste and getting damp, that I thought might be able to be donated to them, that's why I commented.

Any advice, direction, criticism (preferably constructive :P) help or similar is gratefully received and appreciated.
    I have a "old disabled touring caravan" it has wheelchair access, a widened doorway. Turning room for the wheelchair. It's not posh but it is dry. I was struggling to juggle it around the yard inbetween vehicles a month ago. I managed to smash the O/S front side window against my unimog. It would make some disabled person very mobile. What prohibited you from using a caravan for your needs?

I must admit I can see many draw backs from your proposed conversion project, but no project is perfect if we get into the nitty gritty. Are you actually offering lifts for disabled people and their carer, to the same venues you would be attending? Or would you have a advertised callender of events and pre-arrange these with clients/guests? Would you and your partner be using the vehicle as your personal accommodation at these events or would access still remain open for your clients/guests to use for accommodation etc at these events? Have you got a maintenance/annual running cost budget or plan to continue to crowd fund this over the years the project runs?
    Would this vehicle need to be serviced every six weeks, six months or just a annual MOT? any idea?

Sorry to sound pessamistic but 15k may be about right to convert a vehicle for a specific person and their disability,but there are so many and thus so many varied needs that to be considered if considering use for the general disabled public.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    personally I think this is a con and someone is after cash, their plan has more holes than a string bag

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    I've moved this into the Nomadic forum as it's not really a "say hello" thread.

For the sake of "benefit of the doubt" I believe that the OP may be well intentioned, and I think the information from people on here may be very helpful to her and for other people facing similar issues - in fact this whole discussion could really open up the feasibility of such an idea.

As for the viability / worthiness of the initial request, well let's just see how it pans out.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Colin M, HippyNell, naturalspirit

There was a superb van designed by a disabled chap on George Clarke's Amazing Spaces. I think it was built on a trailer, and was brilliantly accessible with a very cheap but highly effective hoist system that allowed the user to access all areas of the space. Might be worth checking out if you haven't already seen it :-)
    "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindess."

Quote Originally Posted by r3ubs View Post
    There was a superb van designed by a disabled chap on George Clarke's Amazing Spaces. I think it was built on a trailer, and was brilliantly accessible with a very cheap but highly effective hoist system that allowed the user to access all areas of the space. Might be worth checking out if you haven't already seen it :-)
    That would be a good watch. What year/season was it shown? Anyone got a link?
    I'm considering building myself (MY) trailed mobile home, to be towed behind the Pinz. Everywhere Ive looked, every other build hasn't pressed all my buttons. Having any mobility / disiability issue does mean adaptions to vehicles/accommodation needs to be targeted. My electric wheelchair is slightly wider than standard, but certainly longer that any manual wheelchair. Most of my vehicles I find Unwin tie-down points into the floor. Different vehicles may have different attachment system (something the 0/P may also need to consider) But if it can't fit in through the doors it needs to be towed. (Wheelchair carriers are available for the tow ball hitch) I see more 'off road' trailer accomadation units these days on the internet. Based on a raised caravan chassis. But designed for the explorer type. A wheelchair accessible toilet can really take up half the width of a vehicle alone. Would the proposed (merc, vehicle have such a facility onboard?)
    If the O/P was a elderly gentleman with the support of his recovered (disabled wife) who were purely wanting to volunteer their time and energy, by assisting disabled people to experience & access the wider Countryside, activities and events. All that was required being the mechanicals, the wheelchair/disabled facility adapted vehicle. It would be praised from the highest minds. Maybe the O/P needs to put more targeted information about the project in the crowd funding publicity (more meat on the project bones) If for example the funding applicant was disabled and receiving DLA mobility element. Mention Including that personal contribution in the proposed Budget. Either as capital or ongoing running costs.

Turning On
    Hey, I am about to build a camper that would allow me to take some friends with me on the trip. Perhaps instead of working hard and saving money, I should start a crowdfrunding page for myself as well? I just need some catchy phrase... My would be too small for disabled people... What if I say that I would be taking gay people on the trip? Are gay people still trendy, or passe? Or perhaps I should promise to organize trips for people with learning difficulties? Or orphans? Or refugee kids? :P :P :P

I know, puppies from shelter. And kittens. Everyone loves kittens. I am going to crowdfunding page right now!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, wandering gypsy

Quote Originally Posted by r3ubs View Post
    Was it this one, looks great but only a short vid.
    http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...lt-mobile-home
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by orys View Post
    Hey, I am about to build a camper that would allow me to take some friends with me on the trip. Perhaps instead of working hard and saving money, I should start a crowdfrunding page for myself as well? I just need some catchy phrase... My would be too small for disabled people... What if I say that I would be taking gay people on the trip? Are gay people still trendy, or passe? Or perhaps I should promise to organize trips for people with learning difficulties? Or orphans? Or refugee kids? :P :P :P

I know, puppies from shelter. And kittens. Everyone loves kittens. I am going to crowdfunding page right now!
    Im sure there's a few gay people would love the idea of getting in a vehicle with you, some may even contribute financially.
    For what it's worth, think yourself very looky your not being excluded due to a disability. It can be and often is life changing and isolates people. Kittens would be a great accessory to any road trip. Far easier to clean up afterwards too. Just remove any cages, smoke bomb flea control and hose out the vehicle afterwards.

Hiya Nell I would be interested in a road trip and can pay my way. Whats involved, a broader idea plz

Tuning In
    Please let me know if I can throw any input into the mix. I travelled all over (including numerous trips to Portugal) with a bed/wheelchair bound passenger in a Ducato 3 axle ex-welfare bus. I have since sourced and imported an RV with a wheelchair lift but disabled friend cannot now travel at all, sadly.
    Might have access to a wheelchair friendly place to stay in Eastern Algarve if that appeals to anyone. Can also organise dialysis there for kidney patients, too.
    Any comments/queries welcome .... I'll do what I can to help. Rodders.

Thank you for all the input guys, I am well intentioned and this really is not some con. I am disabled and it really hurts that I am excluded from most anything to do with outdoor and travelling and general avoidance of society.

Orys, your input was a little less interesting and I'm pleased for you that you have seemingly, never had to suffer the embarrassment and seclusion that comes with being disabled yet still wanting to have the life that you would like to have....or at least the ability to still enjoy what comes so easily to more able bodied folk.

Mikefc61, If you could inbox me an email address for yourself I will add you to the mailing list for the proposed update blog, I would be more than happy to give you all the relevant details, actually getting on the road is some time away yet but I will get there and I'll keep all who are interested updated.

Thank you Paul, this is a much more appropriate forum.

Alices Wonderland, you have made some very important and excellent points and suggestions and I sincerely thank you for taking me seriously and offering me some actual guidance an pointers.

I have jumped the gun in my excitement to get this project going, I should have made more solid plans, I have just thrown loads of ideas down onto paper about how the bus would run, whether or not I would manage it or pass it along to an organised support group or charity, if I would use it myself or it would be hired/loaned out etc.... the running of it is still in the idea phase, but I just wanted to get started and add to the amount I have personally managed to save to get the ball rolling, to purchase the bus and start the conversion.

Thank you to everyone else for the constructive comments and suggestions and I apologise if i have overlooked your comment or question. I'm still catching up.
    Last edited by HippyNell; 12-03--2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Correction of spelling errors and autocorrects...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

Alices Wonderland, I very regrettably and with much heartache, had to give up my caravan, simply due to the work involved with towing it, preparing it for towing, packing and unpacking... it was all just too much and it really broke my heart to part with her. She wasn't big enough or sound enough to be converted either

I would like to be able to plan a route from one point to another, collecting and dropping off various guests along the way, along with that guests carer and equipment needed, if any and I would also let the bus be taken on loan for periods of time by a person who had a disabled family member to enable them to holiday together.
    I still need to flesh all this out massively and you're very right, I need to add more, much more, to the page to explain the situation and proposition more clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by roddew View Post
    Please let me know if I can throw any input into the mix. I travelled all over (including numerous trips to Portugal) with a bed/wheelchair bound passenger in a Ducato 3 axle ex-welfare bus. I have since sourced and imported an RV with a wheelchair lift but disabled friend cannot now travel at all, sadly.
    Might have access to a wheelchair friendly place to stay in Eastern Algarve if that appeals to anyone. Can also organise dialysis there for kidney patients, too.
    Any comments/queries welcome .... I'll do what I can to help. Rodders.
    Thank you very much for your input. It would be great to get an idea on soe disabled friendly areas to pitch up, sny events that also cater for disabled too.
    Sorry to hear that your friend can no longer travel, but I'd bet that they appreciate what you did for them more than you could ever know.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, roddew