THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Daft tail lift question

Not Quite a Noobie

Daft tail lift question

With a luton van, I'm pretty sure it's possible to shut the roller shutter and lock it from the inside with some minor DIY work. However, is it possible to lift and close a tail lift whilst you're stood in the box before you shut the shutter?

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    yup daft question but yes it is, how else do you unload ?

Not Quite a Noobie
    Thanks for being kind to my stupid question. Explained like that my immediate reaction was 'why didn't I think of that'?

If you can attach a rope/chain to the tail lift AND you have enough weight/strength then yes you can pull up the drawbridge from inside the box.

I wouldn't want to do it more than once! lol.

Used to have an electric tail lift, you could put the tail up against the lock bracket. Then get into the box (over the lift). Reach around and raise the tail on the electric motor.

It is possible but personally id prefer having a side door to the box.Ive worked enough tail-lifts on trucks to not trust them.Theyll work perfectly on one job and come to the next drop they dont...If they stow under the box its not a problem...If they stow up agsinst the back door as most do and if youre in the box with a taillift jammed in the locked position it might prove interestimg getting out.Personally i prefer options of escape.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

very handy deck for sitting in the sun with a cuppa .. raised patio
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Turning On
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingwill View Post
    very handy deck for sitting in the sun with a cuppa .. raised patio
    Then you want to stretch your legs, so you move your chair back by the inch or two... Aaaaaaaa!

If I was converting a luton van, getting rid of the tail lift would be the first thing to do. It is heavy, and we have very little of payload to work for, while it's usage is limited.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M

good point ..i didnt think of the wieght ... handy for getting me motorbike in the back...

Rope and pull, you have to get the angle right and a helper to grab it when it's in arms reach is always good