THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: State of music nowdays.

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by itinerant child
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ... Music now is as what music always was and that is a means for people to express their emotions through. ...
    Mostly I find myself in agreement with your points of view, Fly. I do think though that one of the main purposes of all the arts, including music, is to challenge the way things are and motivate people into asking questions. It is in the ruling elite's interest to keep us subdued by feeding us ear-pleasing candyfloss. There are people who can't make interesting music, and many wouldn't know what is "good" but find a place for themselves within the music industry making money. Those political and commercial interests can happily coalesce to keep us all dancing to Bing-a-bing-bing-bong-I-bang-my-baby music. I quite like to be surprised when I listen to music. I don't want music to exist solely for the purpose of making me, or anyone else, happy. There is music I can turn to when I want to change or reinforce my mood, but mostly I live in as much silence as I can get, because my own head is always full of sound.

As you say, to each their own.

Transcending
    Music piracy is rife, and perhaps small interesting bands, maybe those who have a limited mass-market appeal, can no longer afford to spend time making music because they have no income from it.

Certainly music sales are much smaller than they used to be, the goalposts for "platinum" sellers have been moved a lot.

Id agree with the point Marshlander made earlier,the internet and available personal technology has completely democratised music making in all genre's
    If you ignore the 'manufactured for tv audience' music there are actually a lot of hugely talented musicians about and who are getting their music out there to fellow enthusiasts via social media and meeting up with new musicians online and sparking new ideas....a bit like how music creativity grew in the pre and post war era when musicians went from pub to club,met other musicians and singers and jammed and improvised some formed bands some went on to become famous names...and no artists are not making a great deal of money these days -if any at all- anymore than they did 70 odd years ago,theyre doing it because they enjoy it just as musicians have in general done for centuries.
    The internet has allowed musicians to reach an audience virtually for nothing and they're free to be as creative as they like and take their music in any direction they choose,theyre not under the pressure of being told what they need to produce to fulfill contract obligations and put bums on seats for big labels whose only interest is in making money.

The last 70 odd years has often been poisoned by the big labels vacuuming up artists and taking control of their music, their creative license has pretty well been shut down.Artists have to comply with the directives of the label or else( big names whove had major ongoing disputes and had their creativity stamped on) .
    Ok many have made pretty ugly fortunes from their music at times but at the expense of their freedom to be creative and under so much pressure to comply with the obligations to their label and tour and play gigs and tv appearances they burn out.
    At the same time many other talented rising artists have been ignored or buried and lost because the big labels dont think theyll make them money or it doesnt suit their agenda of the time.

Piracy and copyright infringement is a problem and always will be but the labels are as much guilty of bringing that situation about by their own sheer greed and desire to control every aspect of the music they 'own' and in controlling what buying fans do with their purchases.
    A lot of artists are now giving away their music for free and making money from advertising and click revenue instead of being paid by a label.
    I think rather than look at the piracy issue as ruining the money earning potential for artists its actually broken the stranglehold the big labels had and the internet has been fundamental in allowing artists and musicians to explore other options rather than go banging on the door of a label and hoping theyll get signed up.
    The dominance of commercial labels and the fortunes to be made for a relatively small number of musicians and groups id say was a highly abnormal distortion of the music market that was unhealthy for music development as a whole,often its sparked new directions by chasing the moneymaking potential but not always produced the best music or given birth to some pretty dire stuff but now we're seeing musicians making music more for musics sake its technical merits and less for the moneys sake .
    Theres a good example of how music prospers through time without,or with very little intervention of the commercial music industry and is filled with highly technically talented and accomplished artists..thats the Indian classical scene.Its gone on for centuries in the same tradition and thriving today.The artists themselves 'own' their music scene,its a way of life not a job and they do not allow commercial companies to dictate which direction the music goes,they do it for the pride in their honed skills passed from generation to generation and the music traditions they come from.
    I think the western music scene has already reached a tipping point where musicians are back in the same position where they own and control what they do creatively and wont need the big commercial labels to survive.The labels will still be there of course and theyre frantically scrambling to maintain cintrol but eventually theyll be forced to change how they operate.That has to be a good thing for music .
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

Musical hippy dreadhead maddy harper's Avatar
    But everybody uses the same software as normal individuality any more that's what I found with popular music
    Also the record companies have got the artists over a barrel because if you don't do what the company wants it won't get paid which I also think is wrong

Software ?? I was referring to people who can actually plsy an instrument well,or sing or play and write their own music.Not the synthetic computerised junk.Plenty of talent on sites like youtube vimeo soundcloud reverbnation etc etc and artists being free to showcase their talents through various socialmedia sitrs and not tied contractually to any label is an improvement on being held over a barrel dont you think?
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Considering I upload my own stuff to SoundCloud it's nice that I can share my music to other people and they can listen to it because I want to listen to something it's a bit different and not because it sounds the same
    Side it's nice to get out my head because the so much of it
    I have music in my head 24 hours a day even when I'm sleeping it never stops

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    The only constant is change !!!

We have got to roll with it and those with a closed mind will be disapointed me thinks
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, gomphus

As Stephen Marley sang Nothing is certain in life all except for change
    That's a true statement that is

It is indeed and one that people need to grasp,as if we spend too much time looking back,we do not move forwards very well !!

My music collection is somewhat a tad varied,and a lot of the music I listen to is that of modern groups and musicians from all over the globe and a lot of what I listen to is amazing.

There is sooooooo much great music out there,that I find the " state of music nowadays " title a statement based on very little research and more based on the pop scene,which in all honesty has had lots of rubbish in it all of my life and certainly longer.

Plenty of great music out there to be enjoyed at the moment

There are some fantastic musicians out there it's just finding them that's the trouble

If we look hard enough we generally find what we are looking for. And if all else fails,a bottle of wine can help fine tune a bad band into a good one in the ears of the listener

Too much alcahol is bad for your health,consume with moderation

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    I bought an elderly laptop of ebay some time back; it cost 99p and the owner was unable to switch it on.

Managed eventually to turn it on, and the hard drive is completely full of music. Absolutely chocca.

Now much of it is not to my taste, but also much of it is, and I find that if I attach the speakers and set it away using the shuffle mode; I can enjoy pretty well everything that turns up. It's great, even the stuff I would generally dislike - bubblegum, teen pop; is fun when mixed in.

There is nothing quite like listening to say, Paranoid (Black Sabbath) followed by Freebird, followed by some Coldplay followed by, er; Katie Perry or Justin Beiber, who is followed in turn by Nine Inch Nails or Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Angio, Wulfie

I love the shuffle auction

I used to put 'magic' on the radio when I was at work - and it did seem to work magic. Where people were agitated, they would slowly calm down, and peace would descend. Again; not my choice of music, but a lot of gentle stuff that lay half forgotten in our minds.

There are some quite good stuff on magic actually

I've spent yesterday and today watching/listening to street artists on youtube. Come across an Ausie guy called Juzzie Smith. He's a very entertaining one man band. Very talented. Even found him on spotify.

I guess music nowadays isn't so bad 😊

Originally Posted by maddy harper
    I tend to stick to classical or folk
    Yup 😊 me too.

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar

Originally Posted by NickJ
    I've spent yesterday and today watching/listening to street artists on youtube. Come across an Ausie guy called Juzzie Smith. He's a very entertaining one man band. Very talented. Even found him on spotify.

... 
    Yes, he's great, I think. I first came across him via the One-Man Band Facebook group.