THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: State of music nowdays.

State of music nowdays.

What do you think of music now days? I think it's rubbish and if you agree do you think rock n roll will make a comeback.

Recently I've been listening to everything from Blues, rock and roll through to heavy rock, metal and indie.

For the most part I hate listening to the radio were its mostly manufactured bands which when you put 4 or 5 voices together with an auto tune all sound the same.

The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by 1968
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    What do you think of music now days? I think it's rubbish and if you agree do you think rock n roll will make a comeback.
    You are clearly being provocative

I rarely listen to music now (a) days unless it is being performed live. You have probably never been subjected to my music and I have it on fairly reliable authority that not all of it is rubbish

Last edited by marshlander; 14-03--2017 at 02:57 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman

Musical hippy dreadhead maddy harper's Avatar
    I tend to stick to classical or folk

I don't like all this newfangled nonsense
    Autotune is the scourge of popular music

Originally Posted by maddy harper
    I tend to stick to classical or folk
    I enjoy listening to film scores and piano & strings stuff as well

I pick what I want off Youtube, mainly 50s, 60s, 70s, classical, folk, meditative, all pending on mood. Modern music just doesn't cut it for me on the whole but occasionally I'll hear something in the van on local radio that sounds right and will look out the artist for more.
    Not all who wander are lost

I presume you are talking about popular music.

Modern Jazz is as good as it has ever been and in some instances much much better.

I think there has always been rubbish popular music interspersed with classic tunes that stand the test of time. I didn't really think much of the popular music of the 70s but I sure there were some great tunes.

You have to remember what popular music is for and who it is for. To the people it is written for it is the bee's knees but to others it is rubbish.

Paul
    PⒶUL
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, marshlander, parrotandcrow

Originally Posted by 1968
    Well thats a pretty sweeping statement. To some people a particular genre or style of music has always been rubbish, to others its brilliant.

I used to listen to one type of music whilst rubbishing everything else, then (with no disrespect) i grew up and expanded my listening range. I now listen to pretty much everything at different times as the mood takes me. If someone was to look at my spotify playlist they would probably wonder how many people put it together.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Cobra

I don't understand what they've session is with recording songs in bits what's wrong with people and you have the cheek to call them sells artists
    I could go on and on about the subject

When I'm recording stuff are usually multitracked yes but I do it all in one take I don't stop and start I don't use autotune either that's for people who can't sing

It doesn't Boksen when you stop and start can hear were the digitised background sound changes most other people can't hear that it was worse than it used to be tapes that used to really piss me off Records well do you want so bad because everybody had to do things in one take each track was done in one take so that wasn't too bad but nowadays it's just torture to listen to because it's all computerised bollocks
    It's not music at all

Originally Posted by maddy harper
    It doesn't Boksen when you stop and start can hear were the digitised background sound changes most other people can't hear that it was worse than it used to be tapes that used to really piss me off Records well do you want so bad because everybody had to do things in one take each track was done in one take so that wasn't too bad but nowadays it's just torture to listen to because it's all computerised bollocks
    It's not music at all
    I am going to have to disagree with you on some of this, maddy. Digital recording has democratised music-making and created new ways of making and listening to music. If one happens to be accomplished enough as a performing musician to record accurately in a single take that is great. It saves time and, inevitably, money. However, because someone may need to build up a composition in segments does not make their work any less valid. All it means is that they did it using the tools available and their own personal resources. I daresay some people made similar accusations when violins, or pianofortes, took over from the previously commonly used string or keyboard instruments, or when Mr Boehm's ideas revolutionised woodwind instruments, or when valves were added to brass ...

Playing music and composing music are very different ways of engaging with musical materials and ideas. What really is "bollocks" is having a head full of ideas and no way of exploring or expressing those ideas or of communicating them to others. There is nothing wrong with those who have the experience to play or compose in real time having to work a little harder to produce music that has breadth and depth that may not be obvious in the music of someone having great fun with GarageBand. I know when I produce something of which I can be proud and I'm sure you do too and I am pretty sure my sense of accomplishment is not quantitively different from that of the kid who has produced his or her own masterpiece in their bedroom on their laptop.

If our hearing is acute enough we owe it to ourselves to do the best we can to make our music sound good. That raises the game for everyone. The people who matter will get it and anyone who doesn't get that really doesn't matter as much. Why submit yourself to torture? Just be brilliant
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, NomadicRT

lone wolf survivalist.
    modern "pop" music is crap, especially some of the rap stuff, all mumbling and shuffling about, cant understand a word of it.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"

Originally Posted by hagrid
    modern "pop" music is crap, especially some of the rap stuff, all mumbling and shuffling about, cant understand a word of it.
    I know pop and rap is so crap the last time popular music was good was during the grunge era.

Plenty of good music out there of any number of genres.
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, ma bungo, marshlander

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    I tend to agree with many other wistfull people of my age and older that they do not make them like they used to and in all honesty we have seen and heard some great artists throughout our short time on this planet.
    However,many younger people can say the same thing !!

Music is music no matter what the genre and no matter what pleases you,and what you deam as crap may be the best thing since sliced bread for someone else and vice versa.

Very occassionally you will hear something that is actually complete crap. I am talking about flat vocals,no instrument knowledge,out of tune and key and very poor production levels.
    This is quite rare though,and even though there is a lot of stuff out there that a lot of us do not like in the slightest,it does not always make it crap.

For many years dj's were not allowed in the musicians union as many muso's wrongfully (in my opinion) said that they were crap and should not be accepted as musicians as they were mixing other peoples music !! I disagree completely as it takes a lot of talent to mix music invisibly or to enhance the music by mixing it in a certain style and way.

Music now is as what music always was and that is a means for people to express their emotions through.

Live and let live and if you do not like something then turn it off,but just because you do not like it do not call it crap !!

I am quite a purist in my music and I search for the best of the best in quite a few genre's whether that be folk,classical,rock,jazz,electro,classic al,opera or whatever,but I will never call something crap without giving it some ear time to try and find the positive in it.
    Even if it is not your thing,listen out for the positive side of it and try and see and appreciate what others may enjoy or experience from it.

Horses for courses
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

Hmmm some of it is pretty good,must admit though,alot of modern songs on the radio revolve around sex.I heard a song yesterday whilst changing stations,a guy singing....about whether his woman wanted him to go slow or fast (as in intercourse lol)Dear oh dear!So yes some of it can be boring and predictable.
    I have a very diverse range of music.I can listen to anything from rock/metal(which I grew up listening to)to classical,dance,traditional indian,spanish,greek ...whatever.My favourite station to listen to is Radio 6.

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    I can obviously not speak on musical trends in the uk,as have been away for a fair spell of time,but the english-american music that I hear on french radio would appear to me to be getting more positive and happy and less attitudey and that has got to be good for society as a whole.
    There have certainly been a lot of negative vibes coming from certain types of music over the last decade or so and this has encouraged a lot of the younger generation to act out that sort of attitude in their mannerisms and style and that style and attitude can be quite scary to a lot of people.
    If you take the likes of Bruno mars and that sort of style that would appear to be the mainstream at the moment and watch the videos and try and observe the message that it is putting out. You will notice that there are lots of smiles and dancing and a certain coolness that has lost the attitude.
    I think that this change that I am noticing is a very positive thing for the future of todays young and I am delighted to see it,even if I personally will not be buying any of the cd's or downloading any tracks.

Looking at what I have written here,I would say that the state of modern music is actually quite good

I am almost certain in my mind that there will never be a band as perfect as pink floyd,but it would be great to be proved wrong xx
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

I'm in a bit of a time warp as far as music is concerned. I only stopped listening to only punk around ten years ago - so I have a lot of catching up to do. Having said that, I've heard nothing very inspiring recently.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Duckman

No melody in modern music.
    We all lead different lives.

The song I've heard recently that has a nice melody has a chorus that goes "rock a bye baby, rock a bye.." with a person singing "Bing, bong, a bid e bong bong" in the background. So, not much in the way of lyrics, for me.

Originally Posted by Miss_bee
    The song I've heard recently that has a nice melody has a chorus that goes "rock a bye baby, rock a bye.." with a person singing "Bing, bong, a bid e bong bong" in the background. So, not much in the way of lyrics, for me.
    But a perfect Eurovision entry though!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

Well, I've been considering that song, and it always cheers up my little family when it comes on.
    Me, the grandkids and my daughter always "Bing bong" along with it.
    So, maybe it serves a purpose after all?
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander