Thread: Probably not illegal, defintely not fattening but definitely imho immoral.

Probably not illegal, defintely not fattening but definitely imho immoral.

Tropicana have just kicked themselves off my approved foods list for the following item which has just appeared on the shelves.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Saw this and wondered how on earth they could produce their normally "not from concentrate" juice with 50% less sugar and then I read the small print. To add insult to stupidity for anyone who falls for this imho immoral piece of marketing, it is almost the same price as their regular juice.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Am I over-reacting?
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes

So basically they ve watered it down?and prob charge for the privilege!xx

Outrageous! They're all at it nowadays. More lies and deceit to the people.

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Len
    Outrageous! They're all at it nowadays. More lies and deceit to the people.
    Ha Ha , juice drink blended with refreshing water. Wheres the lies ? Plain to see . More fool anyone buying with their eyes shut
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69

With refreshing water, that's a new one.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra

Well I guess refreshing waters better than stagnant water

Heavenly Creature
    Maybe their marketing department, cunts in pointy shoes, have targeted an evolving customer base who are new and hip to the concept of water being refreshing
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, Petew, Wulfie

That's the phrase of the week for me "cunts in pointy shoes"
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, parrotandcrow

Ma, i was being sarcastic 😀

Originally Posted by Len
    Ma, i was being sarcastic 

Fair enough , I am not the sharpest tool in the box

It's not claiming anything about water though. Just 50% less calories from refined added sugar. They have replaced the sugar with a sweetener (natural)!!? An extract from the Stevia plant. A plant from the Chrysanthemum family.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Heavenly Creature
    You think that's bad, have you seen the laughingly named 'Real' juice drink by Prices? Here's the ingredients for the 'apple' flavor

Ingredients

Water, Apple Juice from Concentrate (10%), Citric Acid, Flavourings, Fruit and Vegetable Concentrates (Apple, Hibiscus, Molasses), Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Malic Acid, Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K), Contains a source of Phenylalanine

A whole 10% juice! Not what I would call real.

I bloody hate water, its like ...er ... water...I like cider, and I hate washing ....there said it , god dam it , now lets move on
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

facts:

: 10 grams of sugar, 50 calories per 8 oz. serving

Official motto: Be 100% Fabulous With 50% Less Sugar And Calories
    How it’s touted: “No artificial sweeteners. Full day supply of vitamin C and a good source of antioxidant vitamin E. “
    The fine print: “Naturally sweetened with PureVia. PureVia is the highest quality, all-natural extract of the stevia plant that enhances the sweetness of real fruit juice, naturally.” What’s that mean? Well, stevia is a plant in the Chrysanthemum family whose extracts are used as natural sweeteners. Stevia often has a strong aftertaste, but Trop50 claims that PureVia does not. We’ll see about that ...
    The bottom line: Sure, this juice isn’t sweetened with “artificial sweeteners.” But unlike pure orange juice, it is sweetened with something that’s not naturally found in orange juice.

22 grams of sugar, 110 calories per 8 oz. serving

How it’s touted: “The perfect combination of taste and nutrition! Tropicana Pure Premium is 100% pure and natural orange juice, squeezed from fresh-picked oranges and never from concentrate. No wonder it’s the #1 orange juice brand.”
    The fine print: There is none. It contains 100 percent pure and natural orange juice, never from concentrate.
    The bottom line: This isn’t fresh squeezed, but it’s as close as you’re going to get from Tropicana.
    The Verdict

Coincidentally the government are pushing forward with a new sugar tax, so it is likely to likely that companies will reduce sugar content in drinks.

Personally, I think that too many people communicate in sound bites and so they do their shopping that way too. Sound bite says 50% less sugar so they buy it - they never bother to read any more of the label. It's also around the price that they normally pay for juice (if they even notice that) and so they just grab it. The fact that this product is bloated with all sorts of things that are not juice doesn't bother them at all - because they haven't read the label!!!
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes

lone wolf survivalist.
    I drink a lot of fruit juice, most of it comes from concentrates, tastes okay to me.

I can't get my head around 10 grams of sugar in a 8oz serving (2.5 teaspoons) never mind 22grams (5.5 teaspoons) Maybe artificial sweetener isn't so bad after all? At my age I need all the E's I can get.. I don't have sugar in tea or coffee, haven't done so in over 35 years. I did once like honey in my coffee. Orange juice in its various forms now plays a large part of my weekly refreshment intake. If only they formented it out, like turning some sugar into alcohol, that would get round the sugar tax. Plus there's a wider market if we include our children.

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    I can't get my head around 10 grams of sugar in a 8oz serving (2.5 teaspoons) never mind 22grams (5.5 teaspoons) Maybe artificial sweetener isn't so bad after all? At my age I need all the E's I can get.. I don't have sugar in tea or coffee, haven't done so in over 35 years. I did once like honey in my coffee. Orange juice in its various forms now plays a large part of my weekly refreshment intake. If only they formented it out, like turning some sugar into alcohol, that would get round the sugar tax. Plus there's a wider market if we include our children.
    You think that's bad, check out fizzy drinks that are sweetened with sugar. Mind you, if I ever had to drink a fizzy drink, it would be sugar based as the majority of artificial sweeteners appear to do more damage.
    Last edited by Red Dragon; 18-03--2017 at 04:40 PM.

- Calvin+Hobbes

just drink beer.
    The trouble is, you think you have time.

I hate any of the juice drinks, Don't quite see the point.
    I might as well buy some pure fruit juice and water it down myself without any of the extra additives or sugars.