Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Optimising living space in a small campervan conversion

Heavenly Creature
    All of the single rings have ignition.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTABLE-GAS...d=441336290140

As I said, you would be surprised how much you can do on a single ring.

I just noticed you said with a grill. That takes up a lot more room. Our cooker has ignition, but it's pretty big.

Tuning In
    Don't know if this is any good, it has a grill and piezo ignition....affordable, too at about 45ish. It's portable, too but being Campinggaz it might only run on butane, but no doubt someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to confirm or deny.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campingaz-...l/391506189678

Beat of luck with your endeavours.....Rodders

Tilley camping stoves I find are perfect for what your wanting. The lid folds down and protects the hot rings after use. It comes with pre drilled holes in the base plate for fixing to a work surface. I have a spare in good condition I will be putting on eBay soon.

like this one. 262901184804 ebay
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Cheers it's pleasing to hear there's different ways methods it's certainly worth knowing about thanks. I wasn't a 100% sure if camping stoves with grills had piezo ignitors too as the last stove I had the 2 hobs had piezo ignitors but not for the grill. These types of stove, grill combos are seeming my best bet for my needs & there a dam sight cheaper than Smev.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Rick69

Heavenly Creature
    Can you hold a taper? Light the taper off a ring and use it to light the grill.
    The following users think this post is groovy: roddew

Not Quite a Noobie
    Cheers it's pleasing to hear there's different ways methods it's certainly worth knowing more about thanks. I wasn't a 100% sure if camping stoves with grills had piezo ignitors too as the last stove I had the 2 hobs had piezo ignitors but not for the grill. These types of camping stove, grill combos with 3 piezo ignitors are seeming my best bet for my needs. Thanks

Not Quite a Noobie
    Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Can you hold a taper? Light the taper off a ring and use it to light the grill.
    I hadn't thought of that method I could do using a piezo ignition stove to do that should the grill not have a ignitor or not work. I am hoping to have a piezo igniting grill to make my life easier if possible.

Hand held piezo igniters are quite cheap and remarkably reliable. http://www.rockrun.com/msr-dragonfly-fuel-pump-12809

Your right thinking built in igniters are convenient, but stoves on sale these days are poor quality mounded plastic and thin sheet metal. They are also expensive. A good quality secondhand English or USA made stove like the Tilley will out last any of the modern campingaz tat sold today. Reliability and durability are a must if your sustainability depends on it.

Tuning In
    I think even Sunshine would struggle with that hand held igniter, despite his incredible achievements over his problems.
    " I can't use a lighter to light grills as I've paralysed both of my arms & hands in a bike accident (typing with my feet & I drive with a specially adapted foot steer)"
    If AW would like to practice and prove that he can use it to light his Tilley using only his feet...I'll willingly pay for them both!...and buy one for Sunshine.
    Not knocking genuine efforts to help a fellow human less fortunate than most of the rest of us, but can we all please take on board what he's saying first.

Rodders.

Oh Sorry sunshine! I didn't read that post to the end, I'm bad. I'm using a screen the size of a slice of toast. I'm finding even reading my own post practically impossible. Maybe I should look at technology helping me out or find some reading glasses. I'm posting more and more post where predictive txt is slipping in unawares.
    Sunshine, you got to pay yeh money or adapt and thrive. Try before you buy. Good luck.

roddew It was late at night, I was was going to post this link. https://www.bunnings.co.nz/gasmate-p...tion_p00930368
    Along with this idea below. Allowing mounting in a suitable (safe and accessible place) sunshine could control with a multitude of body parts.
    http://www.eiwellspring.org/ehs/GasStoveEnclosure.htm. 7th photo down in this link

Which would have been been more appropriate for sunshine to consider.
    but not having read of sunshines difficulty other than he had had a motorbike accident some years ago! I thought saving cost like the usual hippy request we get, I flagged up a cheaper type of device similar to what I use frequently with LPG when a cigarette light isn't part of my pocket tool kit on the road.

I really must get on with my own life.
    roddew how long do I get to practice lighting a Tilley stove using my feet and peizo igniter?
    Being disabled myself now for over 13 years, I do know where there's a will there's a way. If I can do it and prove I can do it with a type of hand held piezo igniter who gets the peizo unit?
    Last edited by alices wonderland; 21-03--2017 at 10:55 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: sunshine85

As an alternative there are 12v ignitors available. If you bought an older solid stove im sure that you could get one retro fitted to it, either by someone you know, someone on here or even a "professional" You could then mount the ignition button in any convenient place, be that the floor or wherever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick69 View Post
    As an alternative there are 12v ignitors available. If you bought an older solid stove im sure that you could get one retro fitted to it, either by someone you know, someone on here or even a "professional" You could then mount the ignition button in any convenient place, be that the floor or wherever.
    My disabled friend emailed the local engineering/technical college/university. She has a practical challenge for a engineered metal structure that can't be bought off of the shelves. Two students and their lecturer visited my friend at her home. They do take on these one off projects as part of the engineering course. When there I was chatting to them. They said they often get unusual requests. They told us of a guy who couldn't use his arms, hands or fingers and he wanted them to design and build something to help him feed himself independently. Unfortunately they had to say no to his request. It was just too advanced a project. Modifying a gas Tilley Stove could be a nice project for a student.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69, roddew

Not Quite a Noobie
    I bought a piezo ignitor not that long ago to have attached to a hob someone had gave me to get me by short term.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22mm-Flat-.../222432307135?
    Unfortunately the spark off the lead isn't strong enough to lite a hob which is puzzling. On the end of the lead so I got someone to put 2 small pieces of wire spaced apart to create a arching spark when the ignition is pressed but this isn't enough to ignite gas. I don't suppose anyone has any ideas as to how to get a piezo to ignite off the end of the lead?

Heavenly Creature
    Grill aside, the single and double small canister stoves have peizo lighting on the gas control knob it sparks as you turn the gas knob.
    Can I ask what you want to cook that needs the grill?
    The only thing I use it for is pizza. I toast using a crepe plate.

Not Quite a Noobie
    It looks like this maybe what I need after with already having a piezo ignitor & lead-
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-...3D322439530623

A technical college/university project is certainly worth looking into cheers

Tuning In
    Grill aside, the single and double small canister stoves have peizo lighting on the gas control knob it sparks as you turn the gas knob.
    Can I ask what you want to cook that needs the grill?
    The only thing I use it for is pizza. I toast using a crepe plate.
    I've found that even having a grill, I almost never used it.....also, I imagine it's because heat rises, a grill uses one hell of a lot of gas trying to heat something beneath it......there are all sorts of ways/things available to do "grilly" things over a hob ring.

Heavenly Creature
    I agree. I do use the grill, but as I said only for pizza. And yes, it does use a lot of gas. I usually put the crepe plate over the grill and toast garlic bread.

Tuning In
    Apologies, AW...I only meant to lightheartedly point out that I thought the illustrated igniter was unsuitable for Sunshine's needs.
    The Bunnings retrofit igniter certainly does seem to have possibilities and looks like a useful piece of kit for us all.
    A 12v igniter would still be my preference.....have spent too long getting frustrated and sore thumbs with feebly sparking piezos.

As a man of my word....if you wish to persevere with the first MSR illustrated hand held and can light your Tilley with it using only your feet, I'll reimburse your 7.60 for it and send one to Sunshine or (more likely) send him the money towards his choice of solution.
    I'm fortunate enough to be sound in wind and limb (touches copious quantities of timber) but have spent the last 12 years sidestepping the inadequate provision of commercial solutions for a friend with MS.
    I'm sure that we are all hell bent on seeing Sunshine off enjoying time away in his Vito and just contributing our "two pennorth".

Rodders.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Colin M

Not Quite a Noobie
    Thank you Rodders you are a very nobel man with your kind offer thank you
    Thanks everyone for your help it's all very much appreciated that people are taking the time helping me on my journey to a new way of living
    My reason to wanting a built in grill to a stove is so I can try & make it feasible for me to make myself something eat like cheese on toast. I reckon I could tackle that which will be a big help when I'm on my own. I was 19 YO when I had my accident so I've spent 2/3rds of my life able bodied. I'm really restricted to what I can do by myself which it isn't a great deal yet......
    but I believe I can adapt my van so I could go away for a few days on my own & this is one of my goals

Not Quite a Noobie

Optimising living space in a small campervan conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Rick69 View Post

Cheers have you got a link to any please?
    Last edited by sunshine85; 22-03--2017 at 12:34 AM. Reason: I want to qoute someone

After my accident I bought a adapted drive from wheelchair Ford Transit minibus with hand controls. Electric handbrake. Compressed Air hand throttle and hand brakes. Modified power steering wheel. 6x way electric transfer seat. Fob operated electric Remote control back doors and rear electric wheelchair ramp. It was amazing. I also had my long wheel base flat bed Transit that I owned before the accident, but I could only drive that barefoot holding my right knee to operate the excelerator and one hand taking turns between the steering wheel and gear stick.

Theres a adaption made to fit my Quad Woodstar ATV where the driver blows or sucks a mouth piece to operate the engine and tilt the helmet to either side to steer it, but these fetch about 25,000 secondhand. If I were a biker I would still want to partake in vehicle transport of some description. Not having good use of hands does restrict what's affordably available. We are not far off being able to have muscle implants that allows electrical signals to be mechanically transferd to vehicle operation. It will be available in your lifetime sunshine, I hope it's affordable too.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Nice one that's brilliant do you ride your Quad Woodstar ATV on the road or off road? It's amazing where technology is leading & what will be possible in the future. I'm not staying paralysed forever as I have plans for surgery after I get some traveling done first.

It's cheaper still to fill up at the pumps if you can get away with it. not tried it myself, but I know somebody who does.
    And its actuslly illegal under HSE and fire regs for a PFS to allow the refilling of free stamding lpg cylinders.The only refilling allowed is for systems that are fitted into a vehicle such as those systems Gaslow and Gasit supply.If a PFS allows refilling it can lose its license to operate.The rules were changed because of a few potentially dangerous accidents that have occurred with the refilling of bottles on forecourts.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine85 View Post
    Cheers it's pleasing to hear there's different ways methods it's certainly worth knowing more about thanks. I wasn't a 100% sure if camping stoves with grills had piezo ignitors too as the last stove I had the 2 hobs had piezo ignitors but not for the grill. These types of camping stove, grill combos with 3 piezo ignitors are seeming my best bet for my needs. Thanks
    I dont know what your budget is or what space you have to play with in your van but i do know STOVES hobs come with ignition.As do all their grill and ovens.Ive got a separate hob and oven.and grill.
    I also know Thetford do a hob and grill combo with built in 12v ignition.

As for the oven igniters they wont work unless youve the ceramic igniter units that go with them and the spacing between the ceramic igniter and the burner is critical or there will be insufficient spark to ignite the gas.
    It would not be difficult to adapt the wiring to fit an igniter switch somewhere you could operate with your foot or knee.

Ill admit i was curious as to what is possible with a vito so i went searching for 'vito van conversion' pics and stumbled on this which looks pretty neat. http://www.quiverack.co.uk/AV-SUP-Cl...-mercedes-vito
    It seems there are plenty of camper roof versions about too though personally in your situation i think id want a bigger vehicle.Good luck with your conversion.

As for your injury,has anyone ever suggested stem cell therapy ? being young you are probably a good candidate for it if you can get to see the right specislist.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 22-03--2017 at 01:29 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...