THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Optimising living space in a small campervan conversion

Heavenly Creature
    Does your gas hob have a lid? If so think about keeping a bowl for washing up instead of installing a sink and losing some work surface. Put the bowl on top of the gas hob, or put the hob away and use the space for the bowl.
    Alternatively, a brand new sink is a bit expensive, find a caravan breaker and look for a good second hand one.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Does your gas hob have a lid? If so think about keeping a bowl for washing up instead of installing a sink and losing some work surface. Put the bowl on top of the gas hob, or put the hob away and use the space for the bowl.
    Alternatively, a brand new sink is a bit expensive, find a caravan breaker and look for a good second hand one.
    That is a good idea it's got me rethinking on how to have my van set up. A reason as to why I was wanting a tap & sink is so I can get a drink straight from the tap myself if I'm on my own & in need of a drink & I'd hopefully be able to get some water for my dog too. I am considering a smaller sink maybe to have something to collect any missed water when pouring drinks & having a washing bowl too like you've as suggested. My current hob doesn't have a lid to put stuff on top but I intend on getting one with a lid though soon

Not Quite a Noobie
    I ended up getting a small gas 2 hob with lid (Smallest I've found). https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-B...x+24+x+8+cm%29
    This looks okay so far on inspection but the pipe that came with it doesn't fit my gas regulator http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1524653200...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . Can I get a attachment to still use my regulator I have bought? The pipe that came with the stove say 6.3mm. I have a 9mm hose this doesn't fit on the stove. I don't want to keep buying the wrong things again any pointers are much appreciated.

Cheers
    Iain

Heavenly Creature
    What gas bottle are you using? The one shown is a for a small Calor Butane bottle.

Not Quite a Noobie
    it is a 4.5kg calor gas bottle have I cocked up or can I use a adapter for this?

Is it propane or butane? The one you linked is for butane. The hose should stretch onto the regulator, maybe need to dip the end in boiling water and put a bit of wash up on the regulator to help get it on.

Turning On
    You might want to take a look at this thread http://www.camperteam.pl/forum/viewt...r=asc&start=75. The guy converts high roof vivaro for 6 person to travel and for him and his kids to sleep in. He even managed to squeeze a bathroom into it.

It is in Polish, but some pictures are there already and he is making progress, so you might get some useful ideas. .

Not Quite a Noobie
    The 4.5kg bottle I have is butane one so it appears like I've bought the wrong stove & piping I may see if I can send it back to save butchering the pipe that came with the stove & not being able to adapt it or return said item. Thanks for the link Ori that text seems very in depth although pics wise I couldn't see what I'm looking for unless i missed something. Are cast iron burners safe inside a well ventilated vehicle windows/doors open? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Dou...kWFIYjdoe21m3g I'm not sure how safe the above is though in a vehicle rather than outside?

Heavenly Creature
    Your cooker will work with any gas, just get another regulator.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M

And the regulator looks like it is the correct one. Id cut the end off the hose and squeeze it onto the reggy. It might help if you could post a pic of your bottle, your regulator and the hose

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine85 View Post
    The 4.5kg bottle I have is butane one so it appears like I've bought the wrong stove & piping I may see if I can send it back to save butchering the pipe that came with the stove & not being able to adapt it or return said item. Thanks for the link Ori that text seems very in depth although pics wise I couldn't see what I'm looking for unless i missed something. Are cast iron burners safe inside a well ventilated vehicle windows/doors open? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Double-Triple-Stove-Cast-Iron-Burner-Boiling-Ring-Outdoor-Camp-Catering-/272441505413?var=&hash=item3f6ec77685:m: mLfKCua7SkWFIYjdoe21m3g I'm not sure how safe the above is though in a vehicle rather than outside?
    ive got two single cast gas rings like those in the link. I've had one of them since 1982 that I bought in Amesbury and carried it back to Stonehenge festival. I've used it in tents, bow tops, vehicles of all descriptions. These days I set then both up as a outdoor kitchen when on campsites. They are really no different to any other gas burner. They don't come with any safety features or ignition gadgets but they are sturdy. Some are made in China. The ones to buy are made in Italy. The flame can be turned up quite high. Ideal for heating up really large volumes of water. I would recommend placing a nonflammable material undernieth the stove if using inside a vehicle.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

As alices says above id say they would be fine, however just one note - i have two cast iron boiling rings. One is designed for boiling pots on and uses a 37mbar (iirc) regulator, the other one is for boiling tar on and the flame is MUCH bigger and requires a higher pressure propane regulator. This wouldnt be any good for cooking on but they are both physically of a very similar size.
    If you are buying second hand, or even new make sure you are buying the catering one.

Not Quite a Noobie
    Thanks guys for the helpful advice today & apologises for the late reply I've been busy with my carer cutting my unit to size for my van. I'm going to try & buy a long enough pipe for the stove (6.3mm) & try to stretch it on the reggy as suggested toes crossed lol Hopefully I'm going to get some good use out of the new stove but down the line I would definitely love some cast iron burners one day. Thanks for the heads up Rick69regarding the different type cast iron burners I remember that cheers.You'll be able to see my planned set up a bit clearer below if the photo's load up right....

Not Quite a Noobie
    The 4.5kg butane bottle, reggy, gas pipe & connector at the rear of stove thumbnail_IMG_1707.jpgiuok - Copy.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1676.jpg
    Here is a approximate layout of my unit van unit lay out - Copy.jpgrear view temp unit - Copy.jpg
    Last edited by sunshine85; 12-04--2017 at 12:24 AM.

I would just cut one end off that hose and push it onto the regulator, secure with a jubilee clip.

Not Quite a Noobie
    That's what I'm going to try & do hopefully. I'm a bit disappointed that my unit isn't made of real wood but while I'm waiting for my high top to be shipped over I figured to get this made ASAP so I can get a idea of the width of the rock N roll bed. It'll serve it's purpose while everything else is put together adaptions & all but eventually my unit & van will be made out of hand built wood possibly pine. I was thinking that a gas bottle would be better as far away from he stove as possible although that would be in the right side unit at the back of the van. Which is worse a bottle closer to the stove or closer to the back on the van? The alternative set up would be to reshuffle the unit so the toilet is towards the back of the van but with my van having twin sliding doors I'm not sure if it's possible the secure the unit properly there? Below is the alternative set up van unit lay out option 2 - Copy.jpgrear view temp unit option 2.jpg

Bog at back Door. That way you gave through access at both side doors. Don't worry about gas bottle even undernieth gas stove. If you have a leak in your gas system (which is highly unlikely) you would be wise to isolate your gas at the bottle anyway when not in use. That hose is just too short by the looks of it. Don't cut it, buy enough new pipe and buy a gas fitting to screw straight onto the side of your ga stove. Use the regulator and future with a jubilee clip. If you take stove + regulator into a LPG stockists. They will supply you with the correct fitting for your stove and the pipe diameter to fit the regulator. In time you could then sell the stove, bottle and regulator with original hose and get dome money back and with your gas stove upgrade move over to propane (red bottles)

Dont forget to insolate your wheelarches, a lot of cold metal exposed there in winter.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Not Quite a Noobie
    I'll get someone insulate my van though out thanks alices wonderland. Having the bog at the back would be better but it maybe block the bog if a rock N roll bed is situated at the back also. My van is slightly wider at the back than at the front so I figured that the R&R bed at the back would be the best place for the biggest bed. The reason I need a rock N roll bed is so if my son who has special needs is playing in the front when driving then he could calm down in the back. Also he can open the door when driving as it appears there's no child lock doors on the vehicle I need this problem addressing asap really I'm hoping there's a after market door locking mechanism that's compatible & can be fitted. I need to really think of what's the best overall layout with every factor bared in mind before I make any decision all idea's & opinions are welcomed.
    Thanks
    Iain

Heavenly Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by alices wonderland View Post
    ive got two single cast gas rings like those in the link. I've had one of them since 1982 that I bought in Amesbury and carried it back to Stonehenge festival. I've used it in tents, bow tops, vehicles of all descriptions. These days I set then both up as a outdoor kitchen when on campsites. They are really no different to any other gas burner. They don't come with any safety features or ignition gadgets but they are sturdy. Some are made in China. The ones to buy are made in Italy. The flame can be turned up quite high. Ideal for heating up really large volumes of water. I would recommend placing a nonflammable material undernieth the stove if using inside a vehicle.
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/camping-ge...ve-/1230985418

Like this double ring?