Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: No housing benefit for young people? Fight it!

Chilling Out

No housing benefit for young people? Fight it!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For transparency's sake I work as a homelessness prevention worker for 16-19 year olds in an organisation helping and housing young people up to 25, so I'm not entirely uninvolved.
    It is already difficult for young people to access housing either through services, social landlords, or private renting (and yes I suppose some may buy houses!). People having to claim benefits for an income face further challenges (and UC looks to make this tougher anyway) but it has at least been an option to find somewhere cheapcheapcheap to rent if there is such a place locally. This move may leave many people with only two options - family home or homelessness. Fine as an incentive to stay at home for some, but also that is not an option for many people and this risks shoving LOADS of people into really shitty situations. And as flagged below this is a false economy anyway as there are knock on costs socially to young people being kicked into the gutter.

It's ideological not a necessary spending saving.

Here's their blurb:

Reverse restrictions on housing element of Universal Credit for 18-21 yr olds

On 3rd March the government introduced new legislation which restricts 18-21 year olds from claiming the housing element of Universal Credit (Housing Benefit). This will leave thousands of young people who do not have the support of their families at serious risk of homelessness.

Research shows that 9,000 young people could be put at risk of homelessness, and will face the choice of living on the streets or living in unsafe and unsuitable accommodation.
    Research by Herriot Watt University shows that the legislation will save the Government just 3.3 million, and that even these savings will be eroded if just 140 young people were made homeless as a result of the policy.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, NomadicRT

lone wolf survivalist.
    never understood why "thousands" of 18-21 years old need private rented housing, a few may be homeless but thousands?

There was once a time many years ago when you could get a council house if you were young, but that has been slowly taken away, by the warped obsession that exists around home ownership, which most people can not afford.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket

lone wolf survivalist.
    yeah, you can only get one now if your female and pregnant, if your male you haven't got a hope in hell, good job I got mine back in 1991.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by hagrid
    yeah, you can only get one now if your female and pregnant, if your male you haven't got a hope in hell, good job I got mine back in 1991.
    I'd say the right to buy schemes is the biggest factor to blame, people bought and the councils did not replace, I tried about 4 years ago when I was looking at being without a home, went down the council office, it was bloody joke, the gave me a list of estate agents,
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

Chilling Out
    Not exactly hagrid, and it does depend what part of the country you're in.
    In Bristol the undersupply of social housing is pretty severe, essentially unless the council owe you a homelessness duty or you are moving out of homelessness services or need to move out of a social housing place with too few/many bedrooms you aren't getting anything. Gender isn't directly relevant.

Why do young people need to look for somewhere else to live?

Parents kicked them out, relationship breakdown, parents can't afford to keep them and they can't find work, mental/physical health or substance misuse either of young person or parent, step-parent pushing out kids that aren't theirs, moved away from home to look for work...

The only shortage is of places to live!
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, oldkeith

We need more social housing, the private sector does not work and never will, the market has priced most people out now.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Miss_bee, oldkeith

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by rhythm
    I'd say the right to buy schemes is the biggest factor to blame, people bought and the councils did not replace, I tried about 4 years ago when I was looking at being without a home, went down the council office, it was bloody joke, the gave me a list of estate agents,
    yeah I looked at doing a swap for an empty council place in another area, went to the council and the guy behind the desk just laughed at me, so we did a swap with another tenant in a different area instead.
    the trouble with right to buy is that the funds from the sale went straight to central government, the councils saw none of it so they didn't have the money to replace those sold, I never agreed with it although a friends family profited from it.
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

Chilling Out
    Yeah as a model I'm not ideologically opposed, but the money generated really should go into a development pot to build more. Then again that was never the ideological aim of the policy...

Anyway yes those who have secured reasonably priced, reasonably secure housing are lucky, but lots of people aren't and are faced with working out how to pay for profits for wealthy individuals/property firms.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

lone wolf survivalist.
    if we don't own property we have to rent it, its as simple as that, don't blame landlords for it, it they didn't have property to rent a lot more people would be sleeping rough tonight.

if we don't own property we have to rent it, its as simple as that, don't blame landlords for it, it they didn't have property to rent a lot more people would be sleeping rough tonight.
    Although, try renting when your on jobseekers allowance and housing benefit, landlords are discriminatory towards people on JSA and HB. I had that wonderful experience a few years ago when i went through a stint of unemployment, finding somewhere to live was so stressful.

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by rhythm
    Although, try renting when your on jobseekers allowance and housing benefit, landlords are discriminatory towards people on JSA and HB. I had that wonderful experience a few years ago when i went through a stint of unemployment, finding somewhere to live was so stressful.
    I've been seeing this in the papers for the last 15 years at least, "no benefit claimants", bloody stupid.
    I was in a bed sit when I got allocated my original council flat, my landlord at the bed sit didn't care if I was on benefit just so long as he got his rent.

3 1/2 years ago I walked out of the place I was renting because my landlady was raving alcoholic and I couch served at a mates house for a few weeks luckily he was in Durham I was living in Sunderland at the time I had tried to get housing in Sunderland not a chance.

I went to the housing office in Durham told them I was homeless, and asked them if they had any hard to let properties... told them I was homeless they got me to fill the form in that was on the Tuesday I took the form back in on the Wednesday and I got a house on the Friday I was given the choice of two... One in Brandon the other where I am now.
    It is a 30 m single person bungalow in a row of old peoples bungalows called death-row by the folks in the village! Apparently that is because the normal way out of here is in a box nobody wants them right next to the working men's club which is not too bad apart from Friday and Saturday night but then the noise is gone by 11 , the odd broken beer bottle outside my door and the occasional drunk relieving himself right outside

If you're not too fussy about where you live and just need a roof over your head I strongly suggest going to the council and asking if they have any hard to let properties because they're always a few that they cannot get rid of

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, cricket, Juniacroode, Rick69

lone wolf survivalist.
    I moved into the bed sit on a Saturday, on the Monday morning I was at the council office filling in the housing application, I had to do 12 months on the waiting list, then I was allocated a place in my desired location 2 months later. mind you that was 1991, now you have to bid online for any vacant property along with everyone else, the one who gets it is the one in most need, a single white male is a long way down the list of need that's even if he's allowed to apply in the first place, most are told to go and rent in the private sector.

Chilling Out
    Different story down here. All council/housing association allocations go through a council run system. There are no hard to let places because people are desperate.
    I wonder if the council considered they owed you a main homelessness duty?

I agree that it's ridiculous that landlords are resistant to 'DSS' but on the other hand Housing Benefit (or Universal Credit housing costs element) is capped at the local housing allowance rate which is miles below the amount they can squeeze out of a waged tenant.
    In Bristol LHA rate for someone under 35 is 67.37 a week or 291.94 per calendar month.
    A quick glance at gumtree rooms for rent suggests you're looking at at least 350-400pcm with the difference needing to be made up out of your income benefit or wages. Sixty to a hundred pounds a month out of the income the state has decided you're struggling enough to get by on they'll help with housing cost.

I did find this though heheh

lone wolf survivalist.
    yes its a council housing list but very few if any at all-especially here in the south west- are "council" houses, they are all Housing Associations, the one we are with keeps amalgamating with other HA's so its difficult to know who to deal with, not that you can get them on the phone anyway.

No housing benefit for young people? Fight it!

I don't know about the care of duty but I do know that I have a sleeping bag with me when I went to the council offices and asked if I could just doss down there because it was warm! It also helps to look scruffy but not too scruffy... I look I've been carefully tending for most of my adult life
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

lone wolf survivalist.
    yes me too, its called the casual scruff look, one I have used for the last 37 years.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69, Sootyfoot

Chilling Out
    Yes yes, no-one has clocked that I'm not housed given that my previous standard of presentation was ahem informal.

Heavenly Creature
    As said in the OP, the government may be saving 3 million quid, but the consequences of these measures will cost a great deal more.
    But it won't cost the government, it will cost the local authorities a great deal more. It is just another measure where the national government is shoving more and more of its responsibilities upon local authorities, who have to foot the bill.

lone wolf survivalist.
    I read a report some time ago that said we haven't got enough housing to home all the people already here never mind those to come, it seems we just aren't building enough houses, or maybe we have too many people??

yes me too, its called the casual scruff look, one I have used for the last 37 years.
    I dont know about casual scruff, id say im nearer full time!

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Rick69
    I dont know about casual scruff, id say im nearer full time!
    aren't we all? mine's called "the denim look".

Chilling Out
    Couple of articles about it here: