THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: any ideas

any ideas

any ideas on where i should look for leads on how a physically disabled hippie caught in the system can be able to break free and live off grid in own built home?
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi and welcome to UKH.

First port of call to do some research would be here,

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are many communities around the UK trying to help folk who are living on the edge,keep looking,keep asking and very best of luck.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by hippiekatt87
    any ideas on where i should look for leads on how a physically disabled hippie caught in the system can be able to break free and live off grid in own built home?
    Wow tall order. How disabled are you? Coukd you for instance chop wood for the wood burning stove? Could you collect wood from the wood pile and keep feeding the stove? Do you have enough capital to buy land (with outline planning permission) and to buy and site a purpose build disabled access micro eco home on?
    Do you rely on help to undertake normal daily tasks? Domestic chores? Are you physically mobile (able to stand and walk, bend, kneel) work practically with your hands?
    Anything to add about how you see offgrid working girl you? Heap free energy? Grow your own food? Water harvesting? Heating/cooking Fuel production, supply, harvesting? Food production, animal husbandry?
    Would a fully wheelchair adapted static caravan meet your accommodation needs? Solar, wind, low voltage electrical supply be sufficient? Would battery banks and inverted high voltage 240volt be a regular requirement? Do you have and able to operate your own means of transport?

If you can managed some or all of all of the above tasks, can you see yourself still being capable in 5 years - 10 years time or coukd your condition (disability) deteriorate?

Theres quite a few of us on here who are disabled to some degree and get by off grid. Some days we really struggle and go without. Without heat, without food, without many of the normal daily requirements but that nit through choice. It's just courses for horses.
    Where in the UK do you reside? Where would you like to live or consider living to 'live off grid' cab you function without your support network or would you require similar if you did move to be off grid? Any deoendents or family to stare this experience with and give you done support (daily?)

Tell us more about your ideas!
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: julianthegypsy

wow where to begin, first off i have chronic rheumatoid arthritis , and yes its degenerative. tho im working on fixing how much. i am still able to amble about with a crutch, and provided i can happily eat or smoke a certain plant can do all i would need to to keep up, there are places you can order pre chopped renewable wood for burning, i can certainly grow and harvest food and cook bulk cheap meals, i would need help building a small place or expanding a pre build wood hut, i would preferably like to live in a small hippie community, but most are not looking and the ones iv found that are taking new people are either vegan or vegetarian, i am an omnivore, iv tried being a vegetarian but it just makes me ill and weak, an off road mobility scooter or an ATV with a trailer would be suitable for trips into town, and wouldn't take to much electricity, iv worked with animals my whole life there pretty easy to look after , id mostly have chickens, as for where i live im in Hastings, i have no friends or family and no support network anyways i already do everything myself in a system i don't like that makes me depressed, i may as well enjoy the hard work and reap the rewards of living in nature . i currently have no funds for any of this but savings could easily be accumulated, i have no aversion to a hard outside life, working the land and animals, i grew up doing that, i just got stuck in the system, i am fully determined to do this, just lack the intricate knowledge of how to make it happen, and hope you fine fellows can offer some knowledge. i hope i answered all your questions sufficiently if not please feel free to ask more.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, julianthegypsy, Miss_bee, Wulfie

Sex
    Male
    It's been years since I did all the forms for my O/H and I'm not up to date on the regs as I no longer need to but are you fully in receipt of disability benefits, motability ect, every penny helps if you're looking to go offgrid
    Regarding an offroad scooter, Tramper is the make for good scooters but damn expensive.
    6', wow.
    Not all who wander are lost

Sex
    Male
    hippiekatt thanx for the bigger picture. I spoke with a UKH friend many years ago about setting up a alternative old hippy nursing home, retirement village. Along similar lines. Where looking out of our windows we could see children playing and we knew there names. Accessible gardens and social areas. It would take a lot of capital and imput to get it approved by planners, sufficiently to be left alone during and after the build.

I know too well how quickly things/work/jobs/duties can become practically
    undoable. I own 5 acres of grassland and a tractor, but I can no longer mow it all in a week never mind a day. I never thought 30 years ago that a South facing hilly field would ever be a problem, until years later when realising Its too difficult to walk back up to the top of it.

check out my mobility scooter MOT exempt 500cc road leagal.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Chazz

Sex
    Male
    That's not me or mine. Just a clip off YouTube to show you the quad that I have.

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    It's been years since I did all the forms for my O/H and I'm not up to date on the regs as I no longer need to but are you fully in receipt of disability benefits, motability ect, every penny helps if you're looking to go offgrid
    Regarding an offroad scooter, Tramper is the make for good scooters but damn expensive.
    6', wow.
    6', wow??? i get disability, i assume from my knowledge u can still claim benefits when homeless as i did many years ago, i do wonder if i can keep claiming if i live off grid? im sure its possible if i recall correctly. yeh a good off road mobility scooters do cost a fortune but it would be a worth while investment.

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    hippiekatt thanx for the bigger picture. I spoke with a UKH friend many years ago about setting up a alternative old hippy nursing home, retirement village. Along similar lines. Where looking out of our windows we could see children playing and we knew there names. Accessible gardens and social areas. It would take a lot of capital and imput to get it approved by planners, sufficiently to be left alone during and after the build.

I know too well how quickly things/work/jobs/duties can become practically
    undoable. I own 5 acres of grassland and a tractor, but I can no longer mow it all in a week never mind a day. I never thought 30 years ago that a South facing hilly field would ever be a problem, until years later when realising Its too difficult to walk back up to the top of it.

check out my mobility scooter MOT exempt 500cc road leagal.
    i have seen them and desire one greatly,
    i dont exspect living off grid will be easy i know from experiance it isnt but it woulkd be greatly worth it.

Sex
    Male
    Best we can hope for is a self contained off grid unit built to and around our own needs and enough land to do a bit of small holding. It could happen if enough of us had enough capital/savings to go in together. Buy out an old farmstead. Use the farm house and outbuildings for communal use and each have a self contained log cabin built for off grid living. We would have more chance getting that approved over a traveller campsite. If you have a mixture of able bodied and disabled crew. There's nothing can stop a project reaching a successful conclusion. The system we have now isn't geared up to cater for disabilities and personal care doesn't look high on any government agenda. It may well be that we have to do it ourselves after-all.

Didn't the government change the care/mobility element in DLA to a new system, something called PIPs?

Best we can hope for is a self contained off grid unit built to and around our own needs and enough land to do a bit of small holding. It could happen if enough of us had enough capital/savings to go in together. Buy out an old farmstead. Use the farm house and outbuildings for communal use and each have a self contained log cabin built for off grid living. We would have more chance getting that approved over a traveller campsite. If you have a mixture of able bodied and disabled crew. There's nothing can stop a project reaching a successful conclusion. The system we have now isn't geared up to cater for disabilities and personal care doesn't look high on any government agenda. It may well be that we have to do it ourselves after-all.

Didn't the government change the care/mobility element in DLA to a new system, something called PIPs?
    it would be lovely to as your suggesting id love to find others willing to go in on a project together id be well up for that. they apparently did or are in the process of switching people from dla to pip, tho its never happened to me i still get dla and heard no word from government as to otherwise. i would have no idea as to how to find enough like minded people to fund such a community tho.

I've been wanting to be involved in a communal set up like this for years. My family has six acres with a little base camp setup. A kitchen shed, a toilet and 12v shower shed. And a summerhouse/sleeping shed. I stay here on and off sometimes months at a time. I've grown lots of vegetables. I've kept chickens, ducks geese and sheep. On my travels in Scotland I looked after cows and when I was younger I stayed in a mostly derelict 16th century farm house in yorkshire helping a couple who were trying to be self sufficient . It is possible to do. Lonley Ness is the hard part sometimes. And again finding like minded people my age (I'm 25)
    Also it can be a bit daunting when your brassica are being demolished by caterpillars and nettles are popping up with your raspberry and pheasants are attacking your sweetcorn. It can be hard, but would I change it? No way.

Originally Posted by TheWanderer2023
    I've been wanting to be involved in a communal set up like this for years. My family has six acres with a little base camp setup. A kitchen shed, a toilet and 12v shower shed. And a summerhouse/sleeping shed. I stay here on and off sometimes months at a time. I've grown lots of vegetables. I've kept chickens, ducks geese and sheep. On my travels in Scotland I looked after cows and when I was younger I stayed in a mostly derelict 16th century farm house in yorkshire helping a couple who were trying to be self sufficient . It is possible to do. Lonley Ness is the hard part sometimes. And again finding like minded people my age (I'm 25)
    Also it can be a bit daunting when your brassica are being demolished by caterpillars and nettles are popping up with your raspberry and pheasants are attacking your sweetcorn. It can be hard, but would I change it? No way.
    at least you have your parents land to live on, its a good start, just need to find some fellow hippies you like enough to live with and help with the work. does a scarecrow not work for phesents? as fornettles u can eat them or make nutriuous tea out of them, where about are you based wanderer?

at least you have your parents land to live on, its a good start, just need to find some fellow hippies you like enough to live with and help with the work. does a scarecrow not work for phesents? as fornettles u can eat them or make nutriuous tea out of them, where about are you based wanderer?
    Yea I used to make a nettle, raspberry and chilli tea. It was good for colds. Scarecrows don't really work unless you move them regularly. I'm near hailsham

Yea I used to make a nettle, raspberry and chilli tea. It was good for colds. Scarecrows don't really work unless you move them regularly. I'm near hailsham
    are you allowed to hunt the phesent supposedly good eating? and hay your not to far from me

are you allowed to hunt the phesent supposedly good eating? and hay your not to far from me
    I have done in the past. Plucking takes a while. No not far at all. About 30 mins. What area in hastings?

I have done in the past. Plucking takes a while. No not far at all. About 30 mins. What area in hastings?
    id ;love to try it never had the chance to hunt like a real human, im by ore village its kinda the inbetween hastings and ore bit

id ;love to try it never had the chance to hunt like a real human, im by ore village its kinda the inbetween hastings and ore bit
    You should only ever hunt for necessity. E.g you will eat what you kill. I think I know the area

You should only ever hunt for necessity. E.g you will eat what you kill. I think I know the area
    of course thats how it should be, kill what u need and use what u kill as much as possible, we waste far to much food as consumers nowadays . what where u live like at the mo?

Sex
    Male

Try a road kill pheasant. That way there's no guilt if you don't like the taste. My dad would shoot a pheasant and then hang it up outside the back Door for several days & up to two weeks before cleaning it and cooking it. Some folk like the meat when it's almost turned green.
    I like pheasant with a few rashes of fatty bacon draped over its back while it's cooking in the oven. Stops it drying out a little.

of course thats how it should be, kill what u need and use what u kill as much as possible, we waste far to much food as consumers nowadays . what where u live like at the mo?
    Exactly. I'm considering cutting meat bought from shops and only eating what I raise or hunt. It's ok here. Abit quiet

Try a road kill pheasant. That way there's no guilt if you don't like the taste. My dad would shoot a pheasant and then hang it up outside the back Door for several days & up to two weeks before cleaning it and cooking it. Some folk like the meat when it's almost turned green.
    I like pheasant with a few rashes of fatty bacon draped over its back while it's cooking in the oven. Stops it drying out a little.
    i think id eat it wen it was fresh , mhhh bacon wrapped phesent sounds brilliant,

The first pheasant I plucked was road kill. Walking home one day from school when I was younger, saw it get hit by a car. Had it a couple days later

Exactly. I'm considering cutting meat bought from shops and only eating what I raise or hunt. It's ok here. Abit quiet
    thats a good idea, id love to have the space to be able to do that, i doubt my neighbors would like it if i filled my garden with chickens, although there wonderful animals, a bit quiet hey, id love some quiet here a new neibour seems to be renovating the flat above me iv had constant noise for weeks its hard to mediate with some one sawing and drilling above ur head all day, i just wanna sit in a nice feild and hav a smoke in silence , is that really so much to ask for? i dont know the area well enough to find a nice feild at the mo only been here 4 months.