THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: looking for old movie cameras

looking for old movie cameras

I'm looking for 60 or 70s videocameras There's something about them I like does anyone know where to get them.

had quite a few from house clearances , try second hand/junk shops ,lower end auction rooms and car boot sales
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pretty sure that in that era it was all cine no video as such unless working for the beeb or ITV

Ah found it! Moderator FriedOnion's Avatar
    Can you still get film for them?

looks like it , but not cheap ...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by FriedOnion
    Can you still get film for them?
    Yes you can and 16mm film too.Theres a place in London sells it and develops it.TBH the 8mm and super8 of home cine isnt of much use even though some of the cameras were excellent. but the 16mm is still used professionally.Its hard to beat the quality of colour saturation even by high end digital.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Originally Posted by 1968
    I'm looking for 60 or 70s videocameras There's something about them I like does anyone know where to get them.
    This is a little confusing ...are you looking for cine film cameras (as in your title ) or videocameras (as in your post) ?

Originally Posted by Shroom
    had quite a few from house clearances , try second hand/junk shops ,lower end auction rooms and car boot sales

pretty sure that in that era it was all cine no video as such unless working for the beeb or ITV
    No...Sony introduced the first home video camera in 1965.They pretty well lead the field in video,especially 1" and 3/4" broadcast quality video tape machines and their Sony u-matic standards that others like jvc canon and panasonic followed amd used by mainstream broadcasters like BBC CNN etc.Ive got quite a bit of thst stuff in storage.They were quick to corner the home video market .Ampex made a video camera in 1965 too.Others like jvc and panasonic didnt really catch up till the 70's.

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    This is a little confusing ...are you looking for cine film cameras (as in your title ) or videocameras (as in your post) ?
    Oops sorry, I edited the title to say "cine" cameras rather than just "cameras" - assuming that there weren't any video cameras in the 60s/70s.

I'll amend it if it's video cameras too.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Maybe the OP will clarify in due course

I think the confusion arises because the family income and therefore use of home technology in the UK was so far behind in the 60's but quite advanced in the US.We lagged behind domestically by a decade even if our industrial technological capabilities matched theirs.Americans were using vcr's and multi channel colour tv long before we were here.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 17-03--2017 at 10:47 PM.

O sorry I meant videocameras that must been a mistake.

Yes you can and 16mm film too.Theres a place in London sells it and develops it.TBH the 8mm and super8 of home cine isnt of much use even though some of the cameras were excellent. but the 16mm is still used professionally.Its hard to beat the quality of colour saturation even by high end digital.
    Should I buy a 16mm videocamera and what's the shop called

You need to sort out your understanding of cameras. Cine (as in cinematographic ) cameras take film which needs to be developed in a laboratory.Then its viewed on a white screen via a projector like you would at a cinema.
    The film size for home use was 8mm or super8mm. 16mm and 35mm film was generally used by movie companies and often still is and is pretty much an industry standard format.
    Often modern movie makers make films in a 35mm or 16mm film format and then convert it to a digital format for general release with virtually no loss in quality.

Because film is still used by professional film makers especially niche film makers the film is still available.Its harder trying to find 8mm film stock but it is available from niche suppliers.
    Film roll is not cheap at all though and the developing process in a laboratory is not cheap either.
    I dont know what current prices are but a couple of years ago the cost of 16mm film (which is what im interested in) plus processing included was 50 per 100ft.The lab will only process in minimum 400ft batches so thats effectively 200 for 11 mins of film....as i said,not cheap.
    Therefore 1200 -ish for an hours worth of film...I dont know what it costs to process 8mm but i know you can buy the film for around 25 for 400ft.I would expect to pay at least 60 to develop 400ft of 8mm tbh....unless you buy the equipment and process it yourself..but you wont save a lot.

The advantage if you have the luxury to spend the money on the film is the image reproduction quality is almost unbeatable.Digital video is only just about catching up with 4k HD.

videocameras dont take film at all,they use video tape,a magnetic tape usually in cassette form,either built into the camera or a separate recording machine.Early videocameras had a separate recording machine.
    The videotape cameras of the 60's tended to use 1" or 3/4" tape because thats also what tv studios used (as well as 2 inch) so was easy to get hold of and were all analogue recording.
    The later VHS and beta-max tape cassette machines and cameras of the 80's and 90's are 1/2 inch (all analogue) then there were the mini and micro tape cassettes which came in with digital video tape before discs and memory cards replaced them.

The cine cameras are easy enough to find cheaply but you have the problem of finding 8mm film cheaply to use in them then the added issue of sending them away to a lab to be processed plus the cost.Once the film is exposed good or bad theres nothing you can do about it.Therefore its not a medium you can just knock off a few minutes of film and hope for the best.

At least with video if the scene youve shot is rubbish you can delete it and shoot again.

Video cameras are easy enough to find from the 80's onwards and you can find blank tapes easy enough.The biggest problem with some of them is they tend to enjoy chewing up tapes and jamming in the recording heads or round the drive mechanism as the cassette system was never that great.The recording heads wear out too spoiling recording quality.
    The earlier home video cameras and recording machines used 3/4 inch tapes were much better and used by broadcast companies like BBC but theyre hard to find,some makes are not cheap at all and the cameras and recorders of pre 1975 are very hard to find.Ive got a mid 70's sony videocamera but not the companion tape recorder to go with it and ive been looking years for one.
    If youre interested in the 60's to 70's era video cameras (not cine cameras) then youre best looking on the ebay US site.You wont find much here in the UK.

If youre interested in Cine cameras youll find plenty dumped in charity shops and also on ebay or gumtree or sometimes in old photography shops.

The good thing about cine cameras is most of them were made by really good manufacturers and there are no cheap chinese rubbish cine products.Even the cameras made in the former soviet union were of very high quality.Therefore if you can find a decent supplier of film and bear the cost of processing theyre a good buy.As collectibles only theyre worth buying as theyre dirt cheap.
    Makes like Sanyo Canon Bell&Howell Agfa Eumig all were good and some of the later super8 with sound are becoming sought after.

Arri make the best 35mm and 16mm movie film cameras but expect to have 2.5k spare to find a decent old one and maybe another 2.5k for a set of lenses.
    Bolex are also a good make and slightly cheaper but notby much.

I guess it depends on the reason youre interested...whether you just want to collect the cameras or to use them.
    Early home video cameras just aren't worth using compared to todays standards...in fact theyre pretty poor.To get anywhere near quality recording you have to go to broadcast quality equipment and it weighs a ton and takes up half the room.
    60's/70's cine film cameras are very good and mostly dirt cheap to buy but theyll cost an arm and a leg in film and processing to use regularly.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Paul

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    I'll edit the title again to read "movie" camera until we're clear

Ive seen a post on a forum somewhere where someone built a hd camera into an old cine camera if its just the look you are after...

You need to sort out your understanding of cameras. Cine (as in cinematographic ) cameras take film which needs to be developed in a laboratory.Then its viewed on a white screen via a projector like you would at a cinema.
    The film size for home use was 8mm or super8mm. 16mm and 35mm film was generally used by movie companies and often still is and is pretty much an industry standard format.
    Often modern movie makers make films in a 35mm or 16mm film format and then convert it to a digital format for general release with virtually no loss in quality.

Because film is still used by professional film makers especially niche film makers the film is still available.Its harder trying to find 8mm film stock but it is available from niche suppliers.
    Film roll is not cheap at all though and the developing process in a laboratory is not cheap either.
    I dont know what current prices are but a couple of years ago the cost of 16mm film (which is what im interested in) plus processing included was 50 per 100ft.The lab will only process in minimum 400ft batches so thats effectively 200 for 11 mins of film....as i said,not cheap.
    Therefore 1200 -ish for an hours worth of film...I dont know what it costs to process 8mm but i know you can buy the film for around 25 for 400ft.I would expect to pay at least 60 to develop 400ft of 8mm tbh....unless you buy the equipment and process it yourself..but you wont save a lot.

The advantage if you have the luxury to spend the money on the film is the image reproduction quality is almost unbeatable.Digital video is only just about catching up with 4k HD.

videocameras dont take film at all,they use video tape,a magnetic tape usually in cassette form,either built into the camera or a separate recording machine.Early videocameras had a separate recording machine.
    The videotape cameras of the 60's tended to use 1" or 3/4" tape because thats also what tv studios used (as well as 2 inch) so was easy to get hold of and were all analogue recording.
    The later VHS and beta-max tape cassette machines and cameras of the 80's and 90's are 1/2 inch (all analogue) then there were the mini and micro tape cassettes which came in with digital video tape before discs and memory cards replaced them.

The cine cameras are easy enough to find cheaply but you have the problem of finding 8mm film cheaply to use in them then the added issue of sending them away to a lab to be processed plus the cost.Once the film is exposed good or bad theres nothing you can do about it.Therefore its not a medium you can just knock off a few minutes of film and hope for the best.

At least with video if the scene youve shot is rubbish you can delete it and shoot again.

Video cameras are easy enough to find from the 80's onwards and you can find blank tapes easy enough.The biggest problem with some of them is they tend to enjoy chewing up tapes and jamming in the recording heads or round the drive mechanism as the cassette system was never that great.The recording heads wear out too spoiling recording quality.
    The earlier home video cameras and recording machines used 3/4 inch tapes were much better and used by broadcast companies like BBC but theyre hard to find,some makes are not cheap at all and the cameras and recorders of pre 1975 are very hard to find.Ive got a mid 70's sony videocamera but not the companion tape recorder to go with it and ive been looking years for one.
    If youre interested in the 60's to 70's era video cameras (not cine cameras) then youre best looking on the ebay US site.You wont find much here in the UK.

If youre interested in Cine cameras youll find plenty dumped in charity shops and also on ebay or gumtree or sometimes in old photography shops.

The good thing about cine cameras is most of them were made by really good manufacturers and there are no cheap chinese rubbish cine products.Even the cameras made in the former soviet union were of very high quality.Therefore if you can find a decent supplier of film and bear the cost of processing theyre a good buy.As collectibles only theyre worth buying as theyre dirt cheap.
    Makes like Sanyo Canon Bell&Howell Agfa Eumig all were good and some of the later super8 with sound are becoming sought after.

Arri make the best 35mm and 16mm movie film cameras but expect to have 2.5k spare to find a decent old one and maybe another 2.5k for a set of lenses.
    Bolex are also a good make and slightly cheaper but notby much.

I guess it depends on the reason youre interested...whether you just want to collect the cameras or to use them.
    Early home video cameras just aren't worth using compared to todays standards...in fact theyre pretty poor.To get anywhere near quality recording you have to go to broadcast quality equipment and it weighs a ton and takes up half the room.
    60's/70's cine film cameras are very good and mostly dirt cheap to buy but theyll cost an arm and a leg in film and processing to use regularly.
    Thanks for explaining I think it's best if I get a video camera not a cine camera.Ill try looking for late 70s videocameras on ebay and I'll look for photocamera there.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Rick69;1560368]Ive seen a post on a forum somewhere where someone built a hd camera into an old cine camera if its just the look you are after...[/QUO
    Is it recent and if it's possible could you link it?

Originally Posted by 1968
    Thanks for explaining I think it's best if I get a video camera not a cine camera.Ill try looking for late 70s videocameras on ebay and I'll look for photocamera there
    Theres a few 60's videocamera and few 70's ones on ebay ,I looked yesterday.....only thing id advise is if you intetested in one make sure the battery works.You will struggle to get replacements and if you can find them theyre expensive.

Theres a few 60's videocamera and few 70's ones on ebay ,I looked yesterday.....only thing id advise is if you intetested in one make sure the battery works.You will struggle to get replacements and if you can find them theyre expensive.
    I'll check it out what would be the average price.

At that sort of age you buy them on condition and if theyre working and have all the accessories.You can pick them up for anything between 10 and 100.I think the 60's videocamera was 60.I bought the 70's Canon i have for 50. A lot of those old cameras the batteries are dead.Thats not the end of the world because you can use modern li-on batteries of the correct voltsge and build a new battery pack for them inside the old battery case if youre any good with electronics.Some cameras have an extrrnal power socket so you can buy a battery powerpack with the right plug on to power the camera.
    If youre after one to use regularly with decent picture quality though youre best looking at 80's on..If you keep looking on ebay theres usually old video equipment on there very cheap...ive seen lots on there obver the years for a few spares or repair because people dont know anything about them.

At that sort of age you buy them on condition and if theyre working and have all the accessories.You can pick them up for anything between 10 and 100.I think the 60's videocamera was 60.I bought the 70's Canon i have for 50. A lot of those old cameras the batteries are dead.Thats not the end of the world because you can use modern li-on batteries of the correct voltsge and build a new battery pack for them inside the old battery case if youre any good with electronics.Some cameras have an extrrnal power socket so you can buy a battery powerpack with the right plug on to power the camera.
    If youre after one to use regularly with decent picture quality though youre best looking at 80's on..If you keep looking on ebay theres usually old video equipment on there very cheap...ive seen lots on there obver the years for a few spares or repair because people dont know anything about them.
    Thanks I could also go to my local camera shop to get a camera fixed?

You could but it would probably cost more to fix than the camera is worth.There are a few places on the internet who specialise in fixing old video and camcorders but theres enough old ones about in good working condition to make fixing them uneconomical.Most of the early ones will be black and white image not colour and the image quality is relatively poor because light sensors werent that good back then.
    If you go rummaging around charity shops and boot sales.youll probably find old.video cameras there too.

You could but it would probably cost more to fix than the camera is worth.There are a few places on the internet who specialise in fixing old video and camcorders but theres enough old ones about in good working condition to make fixing them uneconomical.Most of the early ones will be black and white image not colour and the image quality is relatively poor because light sensors werent that good back then.
    If you go rummaging around charity shops and boot sales.youll probably find old.video cameras there too.
    Thanks for your help I'll give it a go.

Ive looked in my bookmarked pages and cant find it there. It might be worth searching hackaday.com as thats possibly where i saw it.

From what i remember the guts of the cine camera were removed and replaced with a hd wireless camera which streamed video to a recording device, possibly a raspberry pi. A switch on the cine camera turned the recording device on and off.

Heavenly Creature
    There is an old super-8 camera, and projector in my mum's loft

I suppose I can see the attraction ...

The following users think this post is groovy: Paul