THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What goes around comes around?

Sex
    Male

What goes around comes around?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But is is really true and is so, how can we reach that truth? I mean, do we just remember the times it did and forget the times it didn't, writing them off as, well it will catch up with them one day?

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    My understanding of karma is that it is completely personal to each individual... we should only be interested in our own karma, what cycles keep coming up for us...like if you find yourself keep making the same mistakes or the same shit stuff keeps happening then it's a pretty hefty clue that there is a lesson to learn, something new, a way to grow beyond how you've been.. a way to break the cycle... I have a friend who runs a shop in the village and recently they were broken in to and his father who also works in the shop was threatened at knife point... It was all over our village facebook group like a rash and I loved what my friend said .. he said it was their karma (as in his families karma) when everyone was baying for the blood of the lads who had done it...so they didn't look at it that they had had something bad to them and therefore the people who perpetrated the crime were due some "bad karma" .. more that it was something had come up for them as a family on a deep spiritual level - it was their karma :heart:
    I couldn't give less of a flying fuck about the people that have wronged me over the years in terms of how their karma is.. that is their story not mine... what fascinates me as I deepen into life, is which cycles keep coming up and what I can do to break those patterns and strip another layer off the onion.
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ayami, Chazz, Jeni Treehugger, naturalspirit

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    I wish people would listen to this genius ...
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The following users think this post is groovy: ayami, Paul

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Better version

The following users think this post is groovy: ayami, Paul

Sex
    Male
    Thanks for the uploads Uncle! But at over 2hrs it is something I will dip in an out of.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Sarah
    My understanding of karma is that it is completely personal to each individual... we should only be interested in our own karma, what cycles keep coming up for us...like if you find yourself keep making the same mistakes or the same shit stuff keeps happening then it's a pretty hefty clue that there is a lesson to learn, something new, a way to grow beyond how you've been.. a way to break the cycle... I have a friend who runs a shop in the village and recently they were broken in to and his father who also works in the shop was threatened at knife point... It was all over our village facebook group like a rash and I loved what my friend said .. he said it was their karma (as in his families karma) when everyone was baying for the blood of the lads who had done it...so they didn't look at it that they had had something bad to them and therefore the people who perpetrated the crime were due some "bad karma" .. more that it was something had come up for them as a family on a deep spiritual level - it was their karma :heart:
    I couldn't give less of a flying fuck about the people that have wronged me over the years in terms of how their karma is.. that is their story not mine... what fascinates me as I deepen into life, is which cycles keep coming up and what I can do to break those patterns and strip another layer off the onion.

Thanks Sarah for your outlook on it and for that example, I just thought that if you did bad/good things, they were paid back on you in kind.
    Had no idea it had another, deeper meaning.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    From a philosophical point of view I like to think that there is something elemental to the universe in the idea of Karma. Not just at a personal level, but at a group level, a national level, a planetary level, even.
    Sometimes you can even see this happen within recent history; the mauling that the German nation got at the end of the 2nd World War might be looked upon as karma for making war on other nations, at a national level.
    Other times you see nations and people suffer, and you wonder why these, why those, maybe.

If karma exists I figure it must be a purely natural mundane process, something in the way the universe has evolved, rather than the creation of any high spiritual being who can look down from on high.
    I also think there can be no intervention of any kind by saints, gurus, gods, or goddesses; no one can save you from yourself. The lesson has to be learned, and you take whatever is coming, because that is the only real way you are going to learn anything.
    Humans often preach forgiveness, which might be good at a personal level. But there can be no intervention, no forgiveness in karma; you just get what's coming to you, no more and no less.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sarah

Turning On
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by ayami

But is is really true and is so, how can we reach that truth? I mean, do we just remember the times it did and forget the times it didn't, writing them off as, well it will catch up with them one day?
    How is it that cons ignore, "you reap what you sow"? That's Jesus' way of saying karma is for real. I had an epiphany, that all those suffering in Haiti and Syria and other countries, are reincarnated nazis and Americans that caused the genocide of Native Americans.

Yet most Christians deny reincarnation, even though Jesus showed it was real in Matthew: 17-10 thru 13.

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    Yes, there is evidence that many of the early Christians believed in reincarnation, up to the time the RC Church got their version of Christianity organised. Then the RC hierarchy took out some of the earlier references to reincarnation when they put the books of the Bible together. Later, sects who still taught ideas of reincarnation were persecuted by the RC Church, and mostly destroyed.

I don't believe in karma. Its a good idea, and helpful to think that if you're 'good' things will come right for you, but I've seen nothing to convince me that's actually the case.
    The following users think this post is groovy: roddew

The truth is out there NomadicRT's Avatar
    Sex
    Male
    Karma isnt necessarily good though...its just really an end result to a set of circumstances....ie an accumulation of bad events committed by a person or group or nation may ultimately lead to their own undoing...similarly more positive sequence of events may lead to a more positive outcome.....Karma is what it is.

In a religious context,budfhists for instance believe you may accumulate good karma for the next reincarnation by the good actions you take in this life.Similar i guess to the Christisn ideology that if you do good you go to heaven and do bad you go to hell....but thats purely an act of faith.You have to believe in the concept of rebirth or in going to heaven and that you have faith that you may influence that outcome.

From a non religious point of view karma may be just the logical outcome of a set of positive or negative circumstances.As in if you keep doing stupid or bad things,taking stupid risks,pushing your luck, then the balance of probability says your luck will give out.Conversely the more positive and honorable your actions the probability is likely more favorable end result.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 22-03--2017 at 05:04 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, oldkeith

Turning On
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Miss_bee
    I don't believe in karma. Its a good idea, and helpful to think that if you're 'good' things will come right for you, but I've seen nothing to convince me that's actually the case.
    "You shall reap what you sow."....is the same as Karma...it's not always instant. I've been paying off my bad Karma for a long time...I've realized that what I've done to others I've done to myself. Life is class in session every day...learn the lesson or retake the class.
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

I dont believe in that notion though, at least not in an esoteric way. I can certainly believe in cause and effect, but that is common sense, not from anything or 'one' meting out consequences.
    The following users think this post is groovy: roddew

Turning On
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Miss_bee
    I dont believe in that notion though, at least not in an esoteric way. I can certainly believe in cause and effect, but that is common sense, not from anything or 'one' meting out consequences.
    Karma is Buddhist.....they don't believe in one meting out consequences.

So who keeps watch then, and makes sure what goes around really does come around? Does belief in karma rely on belief in a higher power?

UK Hippy Reiki Doula Editor Sarah's Avatar
    Sex
    Female
    I think karma is just a part of nature, like the running waves, the flowing air, the silent stars and the quiet earth... karma is nature's way of helping us to evolve...
    If a seed only has rocky, salty ground on which to grow, it evolves to love such climates. If the seed doesn't evolve to cope with the saltiness, it dies...
    If a human only ever has a series of traumatic events, punctuated with moments of vague normality between, to refer to as a life, that human either evolves to find gratitude and acceptance for the traumatic times.. for the lessons they present... or it whithers and becomes the perpetual victim... karma is like our evolution map
    If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing.
    The following users think this post is groovy: oldkeith

That makes sense, Sarah. Thanks

Sex
    Female
    I don't think there's anything divine or spiritual about it. If you are a positive person and do positive things then in general you will attract positivity into your life. Same goes for the negative. Of course bad things still happen to good people and vice versa...i think luck plays a part too in how our lives turn out..
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, oldkeith

Heavenly Creature
    Sex
    Male
    I couldn't say that I 'believe' in Karma, only that I consider it a logical philosophical concept, and therefore worth paying attention to. As Sarah implies above, it may be an intrinsic factor in the way the universe has evolved, in the way it looks after itself and everything it contains.

It is a far more logical idea than the religious one of being ruled by a jealous male god, which is what a great many people apparently believe
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, NomadicRT

Turning On
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    I couldn't say that I 'believe' in Karma, only that I consider it a logical philosophical concept, and therefore worth paying attention to. As Sarah implies above, it may be an intrinsic factor in the way the universe has evolved, in the way it looks after itself and everything it contains.

It is a far more logical idea than the religious one of being ruled by a jealous male god, which is what a great many people apparently believe
    There are laws of nature....like gravity, Karma is one also. Everything is either positive or negative energy. Positive creates, negative destroys. They are not interchangeable. But negative serves the positive.

Sex
    Male
    Its a funny subject this, I dip in and out of beleifs in Karma. Today I dont believe in it. But next month I may feel differently.
    I think we should all hold accountability for our actions and should continually keep check of our emotional output and try to grow and evolve as people... but this idea that bad things happen to people because they have a lesson to learn from it is a little beyond me.
    There are thousands of people dropping down dead of "curable" diseases in Africa and the West has the means and the meds to treat them but those people still suffer and die because of lack of money and bth Western and African gvernments greed...
    Do the suffering Africans all have a lesson to learn from this?... Do they need to dig deeper with their inner thinking and emotional output to resolve the disease that is killing their entire neighbourhoods.... I think not.
    Karma is a concept I struggle with - Jury is out on that one.
    I do most of my own stunts because the stunt guys show me how.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

That also makes complete sense to me.
    The following users think this post is groovy: treestump

Turning On
    Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by treestump
    Its a funny subject this, I dip in and out of beleifs in Karma. Today I dont believe in it. But next month I may feel differently.
    I think we should all hold accountability for our actions and should continually keep check of our emotional output and try to grow and evolve as people... but this idea that bad things happen to people because they have a lesson to learn from it is a little beyond me.
    There are thousands of people dropping down dead of "curable" diseases in Africa and the West has the means and the meds to treat them but those people still suffer and die because of lack of money and bth Western and African gvernments greed...
    Do the suffering Africans all have a lesson to learn from this?... Do they need to dig deeper with their inner thinking and emotional output to resolve the disease that is killing their entire neighbourhoods.... I think not.
    Karma is a concept I struggle with - Jury is out on that one.

I think that all those that are suffering in Africa, Syria, Haiti, and other places like that, are reincarnations of bad people like the nazis that caused so much suffering of other people. When people think they can get away with murder, they must take the class from the other side to learn the lesson. I also think there are a lot of reincarnated Americans the committed genocide on 100 million Native Americans that are also paying off their Karma.

I can't accept that karma is some kind of "naughty step" for bad people.
    Still, to each their own.
    The following users think this post is groovy: treestump