Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to build a mud hut.

How to build a mud hut.

Time Lapse Wilderness Mud Hut, This Time With Heated Floors And A Tile Roof!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Chazz, Cobra, Jeni Treehugger, Lightbringer, likahamadoolihan, ma bungo, Offgrid hero, Rick69

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Seen this fellow before , he's very good . Must have a high tolerance to insect bites !
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

lone wolf survivalist.
    a pity he didn't use the cob method, may have been a bit stronger than just mud alone, but like he says he dosent live in it its only a hobby.

That was brilliant. Thanks for that. Im suprised he hasn't grown a beard though. Now watch the Council come and tell him he hasn't got planning permission. It's a late comer to the housing market. Underfloor heating, clay tiled roof. He is very thorough though.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by hagrid
    a pity he didn't use the cob method, may have been a bit stronger than just mud alone, but like he says he dosent live in it its only a hobby.
    A weird combo of stoneage axe then copying Roman technology.
    All the hard work that he's put into the roof tiles, the hypocaust and he cuts corners on the wall structure. Wattle and daub or just cob would have more life than the mud which will collapse in no time compared to the rest.
    Not all who wander are lost

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    All the hard work that he's put into the roof tiles, the hypocaust and he cuts corners on the wall structure. Wattle and daub or just cob would have more life than the mud which will collapse in no time compared to the rest.
    or maybe wattle and daub?

Originally Posted by alices wonderland
    That was brilliant. Thanks for that. Im suprised he hasn't grown a beard though. Now watch the Council come and tell him he hasn't got planning permission. It's a late comer to the housing market. Underfloor heating, clay tiled roof. He is very thorough though.
    This is his youtube channel,he started doing all this when he was a young teenager as an experiment and hes got pretty good at it.
    He does the bushcraft in Queensland Oz.

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    Where hes built the hut in Queensland the mud will bake like rock,I doubt it needs much holdimg together if it rains.They do the ssme in Africa and India plaster the mud on a reed wall.I guess if he was actually living in it full time hed probably make it more long lasting.

lone wolf survivalist.
    when it rains in Australia it really rains! that mud hut will return to sludge when it does, it needs some "body" to stand up to it, its okay as a first attempt-if that is what it is, but as an example of something to live in its a case of "could do better".

Originally Posted by hagrid
    when it rains in Australia it really rains! that mud hut will return to sludge when it does, it needs some "body" to stand up to it, its okay as a first attempt-if that is what it is, but as an example of something to live in its a case of "could do better".
    Thats why he had a good roof , folk build like this in India , and they have monsoons there . You will look a right tit when your fall out shelter does not cut the mustard , luckily for you there will be no one to bear witness though !
    The following users think this post is groovy: boneheaddread, NomadicRT, Rick69, schatje

Awesome!

That was interesting, and it got me wondering just how easy it is to get usable clay from the ground.

A bit of digging and I found this -

I suppose the higher quality stuff is more for pottery than making roof tiles, but having said that you wouldn't want many impurities in roof tiles either, they'd probably just let water through and crack when it freezes.

Might have to have a go at this, the soil in my garden is ridiculously clay-y in places to the extent where I can't see much soil. What shall I make?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Originally Posted by andyvw
    get usable clay from the ground.
    Where else could it come from?

Originally Posted by realnutter
    Where else could it come from?
    eBay
    The following users think this post is groovy: realnutter, TravellerNick

I've got veins of dense grey clay in my back garden, found it when digging a wildlife pond and it's evil stuff to dig.
    Not all who wander are lost

That was interesting, and it got me wondering just how easy it is to get usable clay from the ground.

A bit of digging and I found this -

I suppose the higher quality stuff is more for pottery than making roof tiles, but having said that you wouldn't want many impurities in roof tiles either, they'd probably just let water through and crack when it freezes.

Might have to have a go at this, the soil in my garden is ridiculously clay-y in places to the extent where I can't see much soil. What shall I make?
    During and just after WW11 clay roof tile making was very much a cottage/woodland industry. Big clay links were not meeting demand and thousands of hand made tiles were produced had hock for one off jobs.
    Clay usually is found within most soil profiles around the UK. It's not uncommon to find two or three different types of clay at different depths down to 4' or 5'. I have a wonderful white/grey band about 3 inches thick. It works really well in the hand straight out of the ground. I also have the very heavy red/brown clay that sticks to the shovel. Excellent for bricks or making bread ovens. Puddling clay used to line canals is another clay found in abundance in deep layers. Mixing clay with horse hair or sawdust, straw mixed in it is a way to strengthen the clay products when fired.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: andyvw, likahamadoolihan, NomadicRT

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    Thats why he had a good roof , folk build like this in India , and they have monsoons there . You will look a right tit when your fall out shelter does not cut the mustard , luckily for you there will be no one to bear witness though !
    Agreed...Some of the things he replicates are the same as aboriginals and amazonian indians contruct.They seem to have been pretty successful with their contructions for 10's of thousands of years
    If you living in a place thats warm then your walls arent that important so long as you have a decent roof . Most native contruction houses in tropical areas dont bother with walls,just a huge overhanging roof.Also if youre living somewhere theres an abundance of building material -mud bushes and trees- and replacing a construction is relatively simple then really its not important if the hut gets damaged.
    Most indigenous people can build a weather proof house in less than a day and will likely last a while.Wattle and daub isnt essential,its also dependent on having an abundance of fibre or straw to add to the mix,it delays the drying process a d thus the time it takes to build a suitable shelter.

At least this guy is having a go at building stuff using basic tools hes built himself and seeing what works.As they say there are those who are tryers and doers and those who moan and criticise in this world.He's obviously a doer.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, ma bungo, Rick69

lone wolf survivalist.
    thick clay here, you could make pots out of the stuff, indeed the local farm is where they used to make bricks and there is a working clay pit about 10 miles up the road.

Pizza oven has got to be high on the list of possibilties
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, NomadicRT, Uncle jhad

Originally Posted by Rick69
    Chimnea would be good also -it would fire itself lol ? also clay good for baking in

Shusssss! I have been stalling this for over 3 years now!
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

For anyone contemplating this sort of building, this video is well worth a watch:

The following users think this post is groovy: Jeni Treehugger, TravellerNick

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    Shusssss! I have been stalling this for over 3 years now!
    Go on, you know you want to!

Go on, you know you want to!
    No , I don't , hence the stalling , so far managed with the excuse it would need some sort of roof over it