Thread: mri scan

mri scan

So for my knee iv to have an mri scan.iv been told to remove all jewellery,yup,fine i had one before,but..before.. i didnt have dreads with metal birds,beads,whathave you inbedded in them..will these be an issue?xx

i would have said no problem as it will be your leg in the scanner not your head , but having said that they dont like anything metallic in the scan room, declare it on the form , maybe they have a protocol for such occasions ?

My daughter has regular mri scans, and she has dermal implants. They were a bit worried at first, but the implants haven't caused any problems with the results.

I doubt they'll allow anything metal in the room. I used to look after animals who were getting MRI's and i wasn't allowed to have anything metal on me even when I was hanging about at the door..

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_bee View Post
    My daughter has regular mri scans, and she has dermal implants. They were a bit worried at first, but the implants haven't caused any problems with the results.
    Oh, she also has dreads too.

Thanks all i might ring and see what they say,some of the "junk"might come out,but some defo wont without a bit of surgery of its own,lol xx

MRI - radiology department generally does not allow anything metallic at all. Sorry! May be different in your region.
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh

It's because it heats up from what they told me :/

I had a gold tongue stud in. Before I got undressed to go into the scan I told them, they said not to worry, if it started to get warm just shout out and they will stop it. The only reason they don't want metal in there is the magnetic resonance. It's quite powerful and you know what happens with strong magnets and metal. They wouldn't want the machine damaging. They may ask you to have your dreads under close control. Under a hat or scarf, but I can't tell you what your hospitals policy will be. I was fine. I didn't take out the tongue stud and it didn't get warm. It was my back that was scanned, but on looking at my scans later. It took a full body scan. From head to feet.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Il obvious get out what i can but some theres no way without scissors😕and it is my knee,the other end of me so hopefully they ll be ok,x

My last MRI was my knee and the no metal policy still stood. It is the possible damage to the machine I think. As someone above said its magnetic resonance imaging and ......well..............magnets and metal..........................

Yup!just rang them,they gotta come out..got 4 out,1 big one at the back will stay till the last min,but i feel nekid now,lol xx

I'll bet you do! I'd rather go out without my underwear than be seen without earrings etc. There is usually a wee locker just outside the scan room for your stuff so at least you can get some semblance of normality back before braving the real world again. Good luck with the scan and results by the way!

Ive had 4 MRI 's and its always absolutely no metal in the room or no scan policy regardless of which bit of you is in the machine..If youve got metal inside you like pinned fractures you have to have a CT scan instead..
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

People have metal dental crown. They can't be removed to have an MRI scan
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Babs 80 View Post
    People have metal dental crown. They can't be removed to have an MRI scan
    Exactly, I told them about my gold tonge stud. They just said call out if it starts to get hot. It didn't. I fully understand the need to have signage up and to enforce the removal of jewellery. If it was lax the number if people just nit willing to cooperate would make for a riot.

However, my uncle was schedualed about 20 odd years ago to have a routine scan and he did have quite a lot if metal pins in his back. On confirming thus yo the staff about to do the scan. They were horrified. They actually said it could have killed him had they gone a head. But thus was the early days and It could have been mire about the unknown than fact.

There are now scanning techneques about to be rolled out here in the UK. New Zealand and other Countries have been trialing them. They inject a reactive chemical into the body. When scanning the body tissue reacting and causing pain with be self exposing on the scan. This combined with a complementary scan of the brain will confirm if this area is indeed causing pain. Until now. Pain could only be localised within one/two or three of say the vertebrae within a area identified by the patient. This will show/pinpoint the precise location where the chemical reaction and pain signals are being activated. All good stuff if it avoids pointless or miss diagnosis of injury location and inappropriate surgery.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Karinofnine