THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vegan fish an chips in Bristol

Chilling Out
    I'll ask them if you like :-)
    Haven't heard about coconut keeping people awake, that common or just you?

Each to their own, when there are no fish left in the sea because the oceans are toxic or because of overfishing, we'll probably all be eating insects and grubs deep fried Tofu options CAN be really good - don't give up your experimental cookouts Boneheaddread, even if your first version was a fail - well done for having a go. Good batter is tricky to achieve and maybe a drier tofu (Cauldron Foods do very good Soy sauce marinaded tofu pieces) - them battered and fried with a sprinkle of fresh lemon juice and crushed seasalt and seaweed flakes - might be worth a try ? I've just had 2 disastrous attempts at gluten free flatbreads - but am not giving up...all the best

Oops, really sorry - I might have broken the rules by talking about insects and grubs - a typical Sagittarian foot in mouth moment - genuinely not meant to be offending the forum - apologies again (

Quote Originally Posted by Alf M View Post
    I'll ask them if you like :-)
    Haven't heard about coconut keeping people awake, that common or just you?
    It is because coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides (MCT's) that can only be burned as energy not stored. Great first thing in the morning if you want to work out in the garden.
    We all lead different lives.

Chilling Out
    Hmm interesting!
    So it's 'body energy' rather than being a stimulant like caffeine or whathaveyou?
    May pop in there this evening (before doing some work at the allotment!), if so I'll let you know.

Went last weekend and liked it The tofish wasn't that fishy really but had a nice crispy batter and the battered sosmix was lovely. Was cool being in a chippy and not having to see all the dead stuff that's normally piled up. The queue was out the door so hopefully it'll be there to stay!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, parrotandcrow

Chilling Out
    Report:

They use organic sunflower oil in the fryers, although the stir fry may have been coconut.
    Tofish was a bit nothing but the batter is good - more than for vegans I can see this being a draw for gluten free peeps as they miss out on that bit of the chipshop experience. Maybe the battered sos is the way to go.
    Chips were very tasty but squashy, that's fine by me but I do like a crispy chip too.
    Had a stir fry which was simple and good, but I was disappointed when I found half the carton was rice, I thought I'd got a full carton of tasty veg to go with my fish and chips!
    (I went in HUNGRY)

I'm not vegan, and I wouldn't swap fried fish for the tofu alternative, but it's a good takeaway on its own merits and I dig what they're doing.

There's a nice little place in birmingham that does vegan fish n chips, battered sausage etc. think it's called fishylicious. I was a little dubious but was pleasantly surprised