THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive at the current donation rate! We currently have over 17000 members & if everyone donated we would never need to ask for money again. Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford it please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Keeping quail

Transcending
    Sex
    Male

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    What about laying do they lay any better than chickens in the winter?
    My chickens lay all through winter, possibly because they have access to a polytunnel and can stay in daylight all day long regardless of the weather.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    My chickens lay all through winter, possibly because they have access to a polytunnel and can stay in daylight all day long regardless of the weather.
    What breed do you keep and how old are they?
    just a simple guy

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Sex
    Female

What breed do you keep and how old are they?
    We have Indian Game and IG crosses, the older birds stop laying from about end of october to early febuary , but the eggs that are hatched in spring start laying around beginning of october , so we get eggs all year round like that . Indian Game AKA Cornish are a utility bird and as such great for the table , but not prolific layers , but lay enough to provide enough excess eggs to sell to pay for their grub.At 3 years they go for the pot, if you put them in a pressure cooker they become lovely and tender , and a quick blast in the oven to crisp en up.
    I fancy giving quail ago though as I like their eggs . I think some people keep them in avairys as they clean the floor up ?

Sex
    Male
    I've been looking on eBay at hatching eggs loads of listings some pretty looking birds too.
    just a simple guy

Sex
    Female

I've been looking on eBay at hatching eggs loads of listings some pretty looking birds too.
    You need to be very careful with ebay eggs , there are some right crooks . What breeds are you interested in .This is who we buy eggs off for hatching , David Harris , he is extremly knowlageable and a good egg himself

The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Sex
    Male
    I think there useful in aviarys to eat fallen seed
    just a simple guy

Sex
    Female

I think there useful in aviarys to eat fallen seed
    Yes thats what I heard , think it helps prevent rats and mice.

Sex
    Male
    I know I've got a bit of a rat problem at the moment because I've not seen or noticed any mouse activity for ages, the rats have killed them all.
    just a simple guy

Sex
    Male
    Apparently eating quail eggs improves your eyesight and lowers your cholesterol as well, they had me at fights allergies
    just a simple guy

Sex
    Female

I know I've got a bit of a rat problem at the moment because I've not seen or noticed any mouse activity for ages, the rats have killed them all.
    Sure sign no mice, our rat problem moves between us and next door , I think they must be next door at the moment not seen one in the chicken runs for ages . I think the avian flu thing has helped as I have been a lot more vigilant with their fed . I am sure as the weather warms up the pesky critters will be back !

Sex
    Male
    I'm proper careful not to feed them but it's difficult not to house them a woodpile/sheds etc.
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo

Sex
    Male
    I really want a night vision set up but 's
    just a simple guy

Sex
    Male
    I have japanese quail and snow flakes, nice friendly little things and good layers. Eggs sell well too.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, NomadicRT, Offgrid hero

Sex
    Male

What about laying do they lay any better than chickens in the winter?
    The egg numbers drop off but i always found some eggs through the winter.Chickens lay according to daylight hours so their egg laying will decrease over winter but you can extend their laying more or less to normal by providing artificial light I used to have lights on in my layer houses till 11pm and from 4am till dawn in winter and they carried on lsying as normal.The only time they stopped was when it went bitter cold.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Sex
    Male

Ive hstched lots of eggs from ebay sellers in the past but theres plenty of fraudsters on there now.Youre best.finding ligitimate bird breeders first and enquiring about posting the eggs...though its always better to go collect them yourself if theyre reasonably local.If theres a regular poultry market in your area thats probably a good place to find birds and hatching eggs.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

Sex
    Male
    I've been looking at growing prolific pond duckweed to use as a food source for quail/chickens very interesting stuff on Pinterest on the subject
    just a simple guy
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Transcending
    Sex
    Male
    I keep 3 Warrens ( hybrid egg laying ), 3 Sussex Light ( egg and table bird ), 1 Sussex rooster ( keeps the ladies together and gets them in at night ), 3 Khaki Cambell / Aylesbury cross ducks.

We have more eggs than we need all year around. If I had to choose one type to keep it would be the ducks, they lay more, bigger eggs and eat less feed.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Sex
    Male
    My ducks lay bigger eggs and more than my hens too.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by nicklincs
    My ducks lay bigger eggs and more than my hens too.
    and much tastier , I got 2 aylesburys and a khaki at my mums place, also a random rescue cockeral

Sex
    Male
    Yes much tastier, i only eat duck eggs now. I have someone who buys duck eggs off me every week as she says they are much better for baking cakes with too.

Sex
    Male

Originally Posted by nicklincs
    Yes much tastier, i only eat duck eggs now. I have someone who buys duck eggs off me every week as she says they are much better for baking cakes with too.
    my missus used to use them for her famous sponge cakes , fried is nasty as they go tough but boiled for 6 minutes exactly with some crusty bread is proper yummy , egg cups to facilitate are rare so i improvise with a small ramekin
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs