THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeping quail

Keeping quail

I've been looking at keeping a few quail so looking into what they need and I've just come across some info on their eggs there supposed to be very good for fighting allergies? I get hayfeaver so it's a potential bonus I didn't expect, anybody ever kept them?.
    just a simple guy

Yep..loads of them
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

I was going to keep a few mainly because I like the weird noises they make and a few eggs but the more I look into it they seem like a winner.
    just a simple guy

Theyre good regular layers ,tiny eggs but very tasty.Theyre really easy to keep if you rear them from very young.They can be a bit scatty if you buy adults.

I'm going to make a nice little mobile rat proof run then hatch some eggs out in my incubator I think.
    just a simple guy

Youre not allowed to let them free into the wild.I kept mine in a long netted run with a smalll bantam hen house for them.They lay everywhere so you just have to go round gathering them up.If you breed any dont have more than i male to about 5 to 7 females as they fight each other to the death otherwise.
    If you just want them as layers you shouldnt have any bother.3 quail eggs is equal to about a small to medium hen egg

Do they roost or just stay on the ground?
    just a simple guy

Transcending
    Prepare to play "Hunt the Egg", also make sure your run is sturdy - my sister lost all hers to a weasel.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Offgrid hero
    I'm going to make a nice little mobile rat proof run then hatch some eggs out in my incubator I think.
    Yes you need the house rat a d squirrel proof.Rats will kill them definitely.I ended up with about a 100 in two houses in the same big run.They wont go in until its dark so i used to go switch a torch on in each house at duskand theyd all pile in then id shut them up and turn the light off.They were a doddle to keep.I sold loads of eggs to shops and a couple of restuarants.
    Because id.reared allmine from hatch they were really tame and followed me everywhere and climbed on me while i wss gathering eggs.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Do they roost or just stay on the ground?
    They usually huddle together on the floor of their house.

I didn't expect them to be tame I expected them to be skittish.
    just a simple guy

Apparently the Chinese have been using the eggs to fight allergies for hundreds of years.
    just a simple guy

I made my run out of chicken wire as the floor and lower sides.The floor i covered in bark mulch.The upper sides and roof were game netting.I only lost a couple to rats.

What about cold weather? just keep them protected and draft free I guess.
    just a simple guy

If you buy adults theyre usually skittish and theyre birds who will easily die of fright so youre best getting tame birds or rear your own.Idont know about the Chinese claims.They believe some weird stuff.
    I lnow theyre popularin France.Most of the supermarket quail eggs used to come from there.They have thousands in long sheds.Theres quite a few commercial farmers here now.

What about cold weather? just keep them protected and draft free I guess.
    Theyre actually hardy little birds ...theyre game birds afterall but theyre fine in a vented but draft free house as they all huddle together.
    Theyre amising and yes they make some interesting noises and calls.

Are they quicker to hatch than chickens?
    just a simple guy

Katie Thears book on quail keeping is pretty informative and theres one called quail past and present also good....theyre the only ones ive got.If youve got chickens theyre no extra trouble.I used tofeed mine on game bird mix and the fine bantam layers pellets or what was left of the chick crumbs as i had so many chicks through the spring.

Are they quicker to hatch than chickens?
    17-18 days....they grow fast too.They mature in about 6 weeks

The easiest breed are the Japanese Quail -Coturnix Japonica or Chinese Coturnix chinensis.or tge European Coturnix coturnix....theres lots of breeds but not all are easy to rsise.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 21-03--2017 at 01:29 AM.

Originally Posted by NomadicRT
    17-18 days....they grow fast too.They mature in about 6 weeks.
    That's good news I'm very impatient.
    just a simple guy

lol...theyre great birds,the worst part is their aggression if theres too many males.They will.literally start a samurai.bloodbath and.kill everything they can so you really dont want more than two males in with a dozen.hens

Theyre a handful.as chicks.Theyre so.tiny and fast.....i reared mine on in a hamster guinea pig cage

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    Are they easy yo sex? I was under the impression you were in with a chance of hatching supermarket quail eggs as they are usually fertilised because its so hard to tell them apart or is this fake news ?I have been meaning to hatch some for a few years , but never got round to it .

What about laying do they lay any better than chickens in the winter?
    just a simple guy