THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: How to protect yourself from negativity

How to protect yourself from negativity

Hi everyone, not sure where to put this....
    Soooo someone has come into my life who is extremely negative, very well disguised but I always see through people.... bonus of being an empath sooo I can't just walk out of this persons life.
    How can I protect myself?

How to protect yourself from negativity

Tell em you don't like their negativity and to sod off....

To add to this what I mean is say to them look I don't like your negativity and I don't want your negativity around me if you're going to be negative do not come around me and be negative be negative somewhere else, if that doesn't work then tell them to sod off
    Last edited by Sootyfoot; 27-03--2017 at 03:40 PM.
    Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer, parrotandcrow

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    The most simple way of protecting yourself from negativity is by being positive and if through that positivity you can not change what you deam as negative around you,then you must get rid of it from your reality. it will burn up your energy otherwise.
    You have probably only got one go on this merry-go-round so make it a happy ride I say
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Another way of looking at this is that all experiences are positive as they help create who we are and even if that experience is a negative one,we will learn from it and further ourselves and our believes in who we are therefore creating a better us,so the long and short is that all negative experiences are actually positive proving that negativity does not exist-I think
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, etherea, Lightbringer, parrotandcrow, ThreeMoons, Uncle jhad

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    The most simple way of protecting yourself from negativity is by being positive and if through that positivity you can not change what you deam as negative around you,then you must get rid of it from your reality. it will burn up your energy otherwise.
    You have probably only got one go on this merry-go-round so make it a happy ride I say

Another way of looking at this is that all experiences are positive as they help create who we are and even if that experience is a negative one,we will learn from it and further ourselves and our believes in who we are therefore creating a better us,so the long and short is that all negative experiences are actually positive proving that negativity does not exist-I think
    How you think of yourself is so important
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Hugely. If you can become good in your own skin and get to know yourself well enough,you learn what you like and dont like and soon enough you know what action to take when certain situations come along.
    I very rarely get stressed,because I know the warning signs of it arriving and know what situations to deal with by taking a nice walk with nature to help me come up with the right decisions.
    Never respond in anger and always think about your actions

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    I'm completely immune to other peoples negativity, it goes completely over my head. The down side to it is that some people think I'm a bit emotionless sometimes. The upside - I get invited to a lot of parties!
    I see a difference between empathy and someone clouding my sun so I'm just gonna carry on the way I am.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.
    The following users think this post is groovy: dustydave

I avoid negative people as they are mostly losers and do tend to piss me off but saying that, a lot of people can easily piss me off anyway which is why I prefer my dogs company nowadays.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, cricket, Daisysmum

I have a few friends that can be depressinly depressive, one in particular seems to suck ya soul as she enters the room , never say 'how are you?' because she WILL answer and it will not be good , from wrong shopping right up the dead people are saying bad things to her....., other end of the scale are a few overly cheerful ones to whom i often feel the need to say 'please do not let my hospitality delay you upon your travels '
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Sootyfoot

lone wolf survivalist.
    sister in law is a negative person, she never says anything good to someone when she can say something nasty. but what do you expect when someone has been a social worker most of their adult life? she's now retired but the attitude still persists. someone's going to clock her one one day!!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Sootyfoot

I work with her, can't avoid her, so was looking more for a barrier

Some people are fun sponges, they soak up all the fun in the room until there is none left.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Lightbringer

Rose quartz crystal,repel negative energies and attract possitive, or an uplifting essential oil like lemon,bergamot or tangerine xx

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    Just eat loads of garlic or get one of these fitted for the times you have to talk to her.

Stops the negative energy flow.
    Not all who wander are lost

earplugs?

Originally Posted by Lightbringer

It might be mean, but I generally stay away from all negative people as they just seem to drag my mood down, got to protect myself from them.
    The following users think this post is groovy: nicklincs

Heavenly Creature

Wear this...

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Lightbringer, parrotandcrow

Negative people, they just drain me, they are like vampires or something, after being around them I just feel drained. I think a T-shirt with 'Negative folk: F**k' off would be better
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Colin M, Lightbringer

If you feel like that,just make your excuses straight away and leave. If something makes you unhappy,then make yourself happy as soon as you can by doing what is needed,even if you have to just walk away. I have done this on many occassions. xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, verticalis48

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    If you feel like that,just make your excuses straight away and leave. If something makes you unhappy,then make yourself happy as soon as you can by doing what is needed,even if you have to just walk away. I have done this on many occassions. xx
    That's good when you can walk away. Sometimes you can't.
    We have a neighbour who is always negative about everything. The other day coming home on the bus, she saw me and sat on the seat in front, so she could lean over the back and engage in how the world was treating her. As I couldn't escape on a crowded bus, every time she moaned about something I replied with something positive she had to look forward to, like summer is coming, and warmer weather, and she would be able to bike ride again, and go explore places with her free bus ticket; all kinds of everyday stuff.
    It was kind of hard work, but by the end of our journey (20 ruddy minutes!) she was actually smiling a bit, and had quit giving me the hard-luck stories. I felt better too; real glad I wasn't saddled with someone like that for 24/7!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Colin M, Lightbringer

I work with someone who is very negative most, if not all of the time.I just hit her with positives all the time or...challenge her thoughts!
    You need to rise above it LB,and not allow people's crappy moods affect you.Next time this lady starts her whinging,just say something like "Ah do you mind if we keep the convo light?I'm actually having a really nice day today"!
    I'm not perfect but I do like to spend my days feeling positive.It does'nt always happen but what I've found is people don't actually like positive people that much,if they're miserable buggers themselves.They'll do anything to try and sap your positivity from you.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, oldkeith

Oooo good idea, thank you x

unleash my pharma powers! Daisysmum's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    I avoid negative people as they are mostly losers and do tend to piss me off but saying that, a lot of people can easily piss me off anyway which is why I prefer my dogs company nowadays.
    Actually, I was thinking a good way to avoid negativity might be to become a dog...... bit of a genetic stumbling block that one.

In some epilepsy forums that I lurk about there is a very clear divide. It doesn't really matter how severe/well controlled the condition is; some people seem to decide that they suffer and it becomes the all-encompassing thing that prevents them trying anything others think 'well sod all this for a lark, I've got a life to get on with'.

There is one woman posts these dreadful poems, that are really negative. I used to look at the thread hoping she had cheered up. I stopped.

One guy I'm friendly with has had three lots of neurosurgery, lost count of how many med combos he has been on, has trained as an electrician, and is now training as a pathology technician. Really upbeat guy who brought his own PET scan into one of his courses.

I guess I'm coming over as really unsympathetic, but I just don't get it.

I'm feeling really negative just now so I've shut myself away in my room, rather than inflict myself on the general public (and one specific lecturer whom I may not be able to remain civil to). Some of the negativity has come out in my posts, I hope you can choose to ignore it if it has if it has accidentally caught anyone a glancing blow - sorry.
    Last edited by Daisysmum; 11-10--2017 at 03:09 AM. Reason: thought of more stuff
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Sing your head off,be outrageously silly and theatrical,talk to yourself in silly voices and dont stop when they protest.If nothing else it keeps you in a whacky good mood and pisses them off.
    I iz a hexpert at pissing off negative peepul.

Update...just noticed this is another old topic but hey ho... the medicine still works
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 11-10--2017 at 02:51 AM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, Lightbringer