THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: We should have stayed or Why it's good we're leaving!

We should have stayed or Why it's good we're leaving!

The Remain or Leave Poll thread has had more than 1,000 comments but it's not easy to find the statements from either those who wanted to Remain or those who wanted to Leave giving their reasons for their point of view.

Please can we use this thread for statements ONLY of reasons why we should have stayed and the reasons why it is good that we are leaving?

NO discussions or comments on posts PLEASE, ONLY statements. That way I, for one, as a confused soul, can get a hopefully much clearer view of the For and Against reasons.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes
    The following users think this post is groovy: Akoya

lone wolf survivalist.
    i voted to leave because I did not want to be ruled by The United States of Europe. I did and do not want to be part of a Federal Europe. and thirdly I do not want to be ruled by an organisation so steeped in fraud that the auditors have refused to sign off the accounts for the last 20 years in a row.
    The following users think this post is groovy: FULL TIMER, oldkeith, wandering gypsy

I voted remain because I didn't want to be in an unaccountable single party state, exploiting people's worst prejudices to maintain power indefinitely.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of others.
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow, r3ubs, Some Guy

I wanted to stay, because as lofty as it sounds, I support a united states of Europe and eventually a United states of the world. Nationalism and countries have had their day, it's time to move forward and merge together, we live in a globalised networked world now.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: r3ubs, Some Guy

I voted leave so I could see that smug fk Cameron look like a twat on the news, plus a host of other reasons which I will add during this threads life. Long may it last.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, FULL TIMER

I was in favor of leaving because I do not like government and slicing off a massive layer of bureaucracy can only be a good thing.

I also wanted that twat formally know as david caMORON to look stupid and resign

I didn't vote I don't vote I will never vote

Paul
    PⒶUL

Heavenly Creature
    I voted to leave primarily because I have seen first-hand the damage done to working people's lives by the policies of the EU.
    But also because I have studied the history of the EU, and those who founded it, and those who run it now, and their aims for a Federal Europe; inevitably under the dictatorship of its strongest member, which has twice tried to forcibly dominate Europe within the last century.
    And also because the EU is a deeply-rooted fraudulent bureaucracy issuing a great many rules, regulations, and laws which are more based on giving advantages to big business and big banks than to helping ordinary people.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, FULL TIMER, hagrid, Red Dragon

I abstained because I should not be subjected to the self serving doctrines of capitalising individuals or institutions.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, genty

Turning On
    I voted leave partly because of concerns surrounding the lack of transparency within the EU, partly because the agreement that drew us into Europe from the position of trading partner to a country that surrendered part of its own rule-making without asking the UK electorate (we should have been given a vote on the Maastricht agreement IMO), partly because I became concerned about the size of the EU and concerns about some potential member country's human & animal rights and democracy (Turkey for example), partly because I feel there is covert agenda within the EU to draw former Soviet countries away from Russia (a sort of tepid war) and also to see Cameron and Osborne get the bloody great kick up the arse that both those out of touch and sanctimonious fools so richly deserved.

I voted out with some reservations though, and I still have them, but we shall see.....

I voted leave because the larger the political bloc the weaker the democratic voice of the individual.
    Also, when corporations, government, financial institutions & the so-called establishment desperately wanted us to stay in, it was plain to me the interests of the rest of us were best served by getting out.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Firestarter, genty

I didn't even have a vote, despite it heavily effecting everything about my life, I live in France.

I would have voted remain, I love the EU , all the noble ideals it stands for , the way it promotes equal human rights, employment laws and protecting the environment above profit for corporations, all things a Tory Uk government have an abysmal history with.

I would have voted remain as it gives me the right to live and work in any EU nation at whim, something I have taken solid advantage of all my adult life and am pretty angry about possibly losing.

I would have voted remain because I love the transparent and democratic nature of decision making with the Eu parliament. As opposed to a now Tory government that has no opposition, has a PM who wasn't elected by the populace and is enacting policies she has no democratic mandate to follow.

I would have voted to remain to protect those I love from financial hardship from a devalued pound, to protect the Uk from a risk involved in leaving.

I would have voted remain to keep my EU citizenship which matters more to me than that of the country of my birth.

But a vote was denied me. The country of my birth denied me even that over a pointless referendum set up so the Tories could get another term in office. then the people voted to remove my right to most of the things I chrerish about being an EU citizen, I assume due to ignorance and mistrust of things they don't want or understand.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Akoya, marshlander, pyke13, r3ubs, ThreeMoons, wurzel

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    I'm a remainer - I feel european and I don't want to see the UK become an unoffical state of the US or the poor Puerto Rico. My reasons are linked to my predictions.

Scotland will eventually get independence and N Ireland will re-unify with Ireland. Wales will be stuck in a very unhappy union with England.
    England will cosy up to the USA and the trade deal will be very biased and not very beneficial to the UK at all. The UK will become a top desitnation for American citizens as from June this year the whole of Europe has imposed visa restrictions on them in retaliation to US border controles and when the UK leaves the Union they will not require the US to comply with such visas.

Spain will come for Gibralter - already a top MEP has stated on French TV that 'Brexit is a declaration of war' Teresa May's response was to laugh when questioned over this. Argentina will begin being a pain for the UK in the WTO and may look to Spain and Europe for assistance.

I see the UK offering 'citizenship' and a tax free haven for the very rich at a cost so there will be just as many 'foreigners' there but they will be richer that you. In the meantime I see employment laws being deregulated and the UK being the sweat shop of Europe or the new 'Taiwan' what ever takes your fancy. I see the ruling classes being allowed to get away with way more now then they ever did and there will be nothing anyone can do about it.

Think battle of the beanfields on a mch wider scale. Of course it will be dressed up as 'the will of the people' and of course it's what your votes condone!
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, marshlander, pyke13, Some Guy, wurzel

Heavenly Creature
    I admit I didn't vote, mainly because I felt there was little fact on offer, just scaremongery and lies from both sides of the debate, therefore I had nothing to base a decision on.

Thinking about it now I would probably be in the remain camp, purely for selfish reasons, especially free movement in europe and being able to live where I want. My worst nightmare now is being trapped on this wee island with an out of control tory party running things
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow, ThreeMoons, wurzel

I did not vote because I did not enroll, although I am eligible. If I had voted it would have been to remain.
    We all lead different lives.

@Languid, have you lived in France long enough to qualify for citizenship?

Originally Posted by wurzel
    I voted remain because I didn't want to be in an unaccountable single party state, exploiting people's worst prejudices to maintain power indefinitely.
    Voting to stay in Europe is a vote for an unaccountable single party state. If you feel that the politicians in this coutry make you feel that we live in an unaccountable single party state perhaps you haven't read about the behaiviour of the EU??
    Last edited by Red Dragon; 23-04--2017 at 12:08 PM.
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes
    The following users think this post is groovy: FULL TIMER, hagrid, oldkeith

Originally Posted by Languid Virago
    I didn't even have a vote, despite it heavily effecting everything about my life, I live in France.

I would have voted remain, I love the EU , all the noble ideals it stands for , the way it promotes equal human rights, employment laws and protecting the environment above profit for corporations, all things a Tory Uk government have an abysmal history with.

I would have voted remain as it gives me the right to live and work in any EU nation at whim, something I have taken solid advantage of all my adult life and am pretty angry about possibly losing.

I would have voted remain because I love the transparent and democratic nature of decision making with the Eu parliament. As opposed to a now Tory government that has no opposition, has a PM who wasn't elected by the populace and is enacting policies she has no democratic mandate to follow.

I would have voted to remain to protect those I love from financial hardship from a devalued pound, to protect the Uk from a risk involved in leaving.

I would have voted remain to keep my EU citizenship which matters more to me than that of the country of my birth.

But a vote was denied me. The country of my birth denied me even that over a pointless referendum set up so the Tories could get another term in office. then the people voted to remove my right to most of the things I chrerish about being an EU citizen, I assume due to ignorance and mistrust of things they don't want or understand.
    Not a personal attack on you, it is just that your fascinating post lists all of the reasons why I voted to leave as I do not believe any of them to reflect the reality of the EU. If you truly believe that the politicians in the UK are self-serving, I believe you will discover what self-serving really means if a federal Europe ever comes to pass.

- Calvin+Hobbes
    The following users think this post is groovy: FULL TIMER, oldkeith

Whatever anyone votes ..the whole global political thing is corrupt, of course it is.People who do it want power.Why would anyone want power unless there is gain for them and control?.Does anyone really truly believe that the majority of politicians are brimming with saintly zeal to wear sackcloth and make the world a better place?Apart from a few bright lights of zeal ,people are deluded if they think otherwise.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Daisysmum, Firestarter, marshlander, oldkeith

lone wolf survivalist.
    do we have to rerun the referendum on this forum? I mean its been 10 months.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

I am torn because on the one hand I feel that many small states are better than fewer large ones, and because I don't like the bureaucrats holding power even further away from the people.

But on the other hand I am afraid of the power that leaving the EU gives to future Tory/red Tory governments, particularly that they wont be answerable to the European court of human rights. In addition I fear it may make movement between Europe and Britain more difficult.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, ThreeMoons, Uncle jhad

lone wolf survivalist.
    i'm more afraid of leaving power in the hands of unelected and seemingly unaccountable bureacrats.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Red Dragon

Originally Posted by hagrid
    i'm more afraid of leaving power in the hands of unelected and seemingly unaccountable bureacrats.
    Like the house of Lords for instance.
    The following users think this post is groovy: cricket

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by rhythm
    Like the house of Lords for instance.
    no that's just a waiting room for their particular style of heaven. the majority of them seem to be asleep most of the time.