THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Existence and all that

Existence and all that

What are your thoughts on this whole thing called existence? With all things being vibrations when it comes to it, things popping in and out of existence all the time. What do you think about existence leading up to self awareness? Let's have a fun debate =)
    Love everyone, even those who hate you, because they need your love the most.

Noobie
    A level of awareness deep enough to ponder 'existence' as a concept is (as far as we know) an intrinsically human quality. As far as Aristotle was concerned, the faculties of reason and the pursuit of philosophical ideas are the zenith of human endeavour. Personally I am fond of this approach; regardless of whether one arrives to satisfactory conclusions or not, that by merely 'doing philosophy' we have already accomplished our primary purpose as wise, sentient beings.

Unfortunately, I wrestle with it somewhat as it seems like an existential cop-out. But what do you expect from someone who's 30 years old and still sleeps with stuffed animals?
    The following users think this post is groovy: IreVibes, Miss_bee

Turning On
    Mmmmm... stuffed animals could be a problem though.

lone wolf survivalist.
    I exist, therefore I am.

Heavenly Creature

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by goody2shoes
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Mmmmm... stuffed animals could be a problem though.
    Especially for Vegans....

The following users think this post is groovy: gophangover

Why would we have self awareness and consciousness if there were no reason to have them? Why would everything have an order if there were no reason for it? Would anything exist if we didn't? What would it matter?

Cause and effect....because we exist, so does everything else. The order of everything goes all the way down to the sub atomic particles, and all the way to the solar system and stars in this galaxy, and all the rest of the galaxies.

The earth turns at 1500 kilometers per hour...the earth goes around the sun at 100,000 kilometers per hour...the sun goes through the galaxy at 500,000 miles per hour.....dizzy yet?

Particles make up atoms, atoms make up cells and all elements, cells make up all bodily organs and blood and veins and muscles and arteries and ligaments and skin. All must be in order to function. And every atom is given mass by "the God particle".

I'm fascinated!

But what about dark matter and dark energy? Do they have atoms and particles?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Jeni Treehugger

Heavenly Creature
    Current theories on Dark Matter may be miscalculated:

The following users think this post is groovy: gophangover

Originally Posted by gophangover
    Why would we have self awareness and consciousness if there were no reason to have them? Why would everything have an order if there were no reason for it? Would anything exist if we didn't? What would it matter?

Cause and effect....because we exist, so does everything else. The order of everything goes all the way down to the sub atomic particles, and all the way to the solar system and stars in this galaxy, and all the rest of the galaxies.

The earth turns at 1500 kilometers per hour...the earth goes around the sun at 100,000 kilometers per hour...the sun goes through the galaxy at 500,000 miles per hour.....dizzy yet?

Particles make up atoms, atoms make up cells and all elements, cells make up all bodily organs and blood and veins and muscles and arteries and ligaments and skin. All must be in order to function. And every atom is given mass by "the God particle".

I'm fascinated!

But what about dark matter and dark energy? Do they have atoms and particles?
    oh man I just love the way you think ............................ so fucking groovy xxx

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    Current theories on Dark Matter may be miscalculated:

can I have some of what you're on man...........I must be missing quite a lot of brain cells, 'cause I can't even get my head around some of the questions, never mind the fucking answers.

Mindst you, I have to face up - I failed maths, chemistry, physics - got biology even tho I refused to dissect little rat brothers and got sent to library in disgrace. Would never make a scientist I'm afraid......not mainstream anyway.....am far too much of an anarchist for that........

Love yer dude.....you got brains I don't even know the colour value of

Heavenly Creature
    For those, (like me), who don't have the head for equations, a more simple illustrated explanation here:

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    For those, (like me), who don't have the head for equations, a more simple illustrated explanation here:

cheers dude

Hey hey! I always assumed that gravity was in some way responsible for unexplained movement in space. The above article goes way past that but at least my mind is in the right place. I will re-read and give it some more thought even though its pitched at a much higher level than I normally think.
    Because you are alive, everything is posible - Thich Nhat Hanh
    The following users think this post is groovy: verticalis48

Gravity's usually a bitch when it comes to dropped toast
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, etherea, gophangover, Lightbringer

It's amazing the way that it also flips it so that the butter or whatever lands on the ground
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, verticalis48, Wulfie

Originally Posted by etherea
    It's amazing the way that it also flips it so that the butter or whatever lands on the ground
    You should try owning a greedy staffy. It's pretty much unheard of for any dropped food to reach the floor...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Lightbringer, verticalis48

Teach the fucker some manners man

A reason for existence if existence is to be happiness personified is hot buttered toast, lashings of thick cut marmalade with a mug of tea to wash it down for breakfast and having said that I've got no bread to make it so I may as well disappear............
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

No bread? shame on you!

We call that manners. Saves wiping the floor...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Lightbringer

No bread? shame on you!
    Noooooo, it's shame on dog 1, she's a 66kg bone and muscle bread monster who can open cupboards. Just loves bread especially corn bread.
    The following users think this post is groovy: etherea, verticalis48

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    Gravity's usually a bitch when it comes to dropped toast
    oh Wulfie, you are such a fucking sweetheart man ............. just love you to bits

ha ha ha ha ha ha - tell 'em tell 'em xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Rick69
    We call that manners. Saves wiping the floor...
    Hey hey Rick69 - I'm liking you more n more every day xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    A reason for existence if existence is to be happiness personified is hot buttered toast, lashings of thick cut marmalade with a mug of tea to wash it down for breakfast and having said that I've got no bread to make it so I may as well disappear............
    don't you fucking dare dude - just get your ass out there and make some, or steal some or even find some in a skip - HAVE IT !!!!!!!!