THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Millie Vanille.

Millie Vanille.

So this is not a build thread, it just may look a bit like one at times, more a place to record progress and mull over issues.

Basically after a long search I bought a 2004 euro 3 DAF truck, LF 45 with a 20' glasonite and aluminium box body. Non immobaliser Cummins engine and ZF 5 speed box on springs, so should be reliable.

Pics when I can work out how to upload from mobile.

The truck itself doesn't matter that much as I will replace it with a Euro 6 truck in 4 or 5 years, the body will be designed to bolt off and back on.

Why a DAF, mainly because the euro 6 and later chassis cab and the older within my budget euro 3 chassis cabs are basically the same from the doors backwards, to will an easy body transfer. I feel older trucks will be driven off the road in the next 10 years. Just future proofing my home, I don't want to build another.

Why Millie Vanili? It is an old Kingsmill bread van, plus I am sadly of an age where I bought a Millie Vanilli single.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, jonathanh1989

We look forward to those pics, LV! Toby n Suzy Trux.

Work so far is just stripping down. The slim narrow tail lift was rusty junk, not ( used 6 months or so ago, so should work) so I cut it off with an angle grinder. All of the bolts were rusted up.

Under run bars were junk, so off they came, and so did the AstroTurf mudguards.

I have been struggling to work out the best way of doing the build, I wanted a 24' truck for my ideal home. So am thinking of stretching the chassis by 3' and increasing the overhang by 1' the body that is there is in great condition with just a couple of spots of light electrolytic corrosion where side repeater bulbs were screwed on.

Basically I am getting it ready to take the body off so I can work on the chassis and running gear as well as stretch the chassis. Luckily I have a friend locally who has a couple of fork lifts at his hire place, so I can drive the ruck up there, remove the body and leave it at his place and drive the chassis cab back home.

I will refit the body turned about 180 degrees in a few months. And attach it I know not how to the extended front section which will have the side access door in it.

Oh, and a clue to what is to come, lots and lots of fiberglass work.

Also, trailer will be part of the build, or should I say terrace. I have a 3meter long 2 meter wide single axle under the bed trailer will be converted into a 4 wheel flat bed for the car, doubling up as a terrace at a camp site to save space. The worst thing about my old 7meter long trailer was it was always in the way. Problem solved and I now have a nice off the ground wood terrace to use.

Rear shocks need replacing, the abs warning light comes on and there is an oil leak from a gearbox inspection plate. So some mechanical stuff to do too.

Anyone with a 7.5 tonner know what the ideal height off the ground for the bottom of under box storage boxes would be? I will be doing the underun/towbar this week, there isn't a massive amount I can do about the height of that as the trailer also need to be able to be towed behind the car, so standard towball height is necessary, but I am more thinking of the boxes between the axles, my old coach was really low to the ground and did touch once or twice at festivals.

Heavenly Creature
    Photobucket can be very clunky and sloooooow but you can upload from a mobile then copy and paste the codes given to get your pics into the posts. I look forward to seeing them!

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Photobucket can be very clunky and sloooooow but you can upload from a mobile then copy and paste the codes given to get your pics into the posts. I look forward to seeing them!
    I will try that, thanks. Shame this forum doesn't allow pics via mobile. My only camera is on the iPad.

Ok, try a pic via photo bucket

This is 2 minutes after I got it.

Edit, yippee, it works, I am now no longer a picture free zone.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, marshlander, parrotandcrow, Rick69

And from the other side but at home, I have just given it a little clean and peeled a large part of the signwriting off. Sky is why I love France, it is a week since I saw a cloud.

The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, jonathanh1989, Petew

And with most of the crap and tail lift cut off of the back.

And the last one shows poor Ember hiding behind the beetle, looking forlorn as I took her apart to wrap her. It also shows how nice the galsonite is under the peel off signage on Millie, sadly the top part the previous owner painted direct onto it, so it needs a lot of sanding.

The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, jonathanh1989, marshlander, Petew, realnutter

And lastly, my workshop and not quite finished CNC machine where the main work on the inside will be done, the CNC is working, just need to finish the last drawer runner and put the doors on. The purple paint was wombled, hence the colour. 600 mm by 1000mm cut, I think the Y axis is 180 or 200 mm, enough for my needs. The wood on the left is old ash with an amazing grain ( utterly useless for most people) and part of a woodworking bench I am making on rainy days, presently stalled, all the woodwork inside will be built to spec from wood from renewable forests, there is some well patterned quercy oak that will be used, but this discarded wood I bought cheap from a saw mill that cut an odd oak tree down.

And

Last edited by Languid Virago; 13-04--2017 at 12:50 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, jonathanh1989, realnutter, Rick69

Heavenly Creature
    You already have skylights. Bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    You already have skylights. Bonus!
    Nah, just fiberglass panels set into the aluminium roof, I will fit normal pop up skylights eventually, but they will have to follow the solar panel positions and be a last minute fitment when all else is done. the roof will have a 80cm satalite dish, my 28dba wifi stealer antenna ( about the size of a 60 cm satellite dish and as many solar panels as I can squeeze on, hopefully 1500 to 1800 watts worth.

Today's work, fitted the 3 portholes I bought last year for 20 quid. The bit to the left of the portholes is going to be a 90cm x 90 cm shower cubicle, or will be when I can find one cheap.

Also cut a mahoosive hole in the side to make the access door, still not sure how the steps are going to work, why the door height is too low, I can always cut it again.

And finished the workbench top, 6cm thick ash, At a guess 100kilos. Still got to make the base of the table, but run out of wood.

The following users think this post is groovy: Colin M, jonathanh1989, marshlander, Petew, Rick69

Lovely work! The portholes looks like curtain eyelets, put a few more in and you could hang it up.

Today's work, started on the steps. Starting to struggle finding wombled steel, looks like I will have to buy some, what I have just isn't what I need.

And yesterday was yet more cutting sh!t off. Up and over rear door has upped and fallen off. It will go back, well, some of it will.

The following users think this post is groovy: jonathanh1989

Heavenly Creature
    Did you cut the cables on it? Lose those and you usually have the door wizz to the front of the body.