THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: wood burner --- insurance ?

Noobie

wood burner --- insurance ?

Hi there, if I fit a wood burning stove in my van ,haven't even started doing insulation yet, but so need to have a fire in it so its home,
    Will I have trouble getting an insurer ,it's insured at mo with company called creation ..but they won't do it , any help really appreciated on this as feeling uninspired to do anything if I can't have my fire ! which I would need .thanks .

If it was a factory build and the woodburner appliance was installed by them. I would mention it to the insurance company really out of curiosity. I would expect certain guidelines to have been considered and any regulations to have been strictly adhered to. (I'm not aware of any building regs that apply to a motorhome/campervan,commercial vehicle)
    Now most of us install these appliances ourselves and do not mention it to any insurance company. If they don't ask! Then you have not deliberately omitted any information or told a miss truth.
    However, I would think if a self install caused the vehicle to be destroyed by fire or it contributed to the death of a occupant, the insurance company would void the insurance and any claim made against them.

I have been through a similar scenario and to be honest I didn't Know then how it would turn out. A tin trailer (touring caravan) that was parked up next to my double decker bus caught on fire. I was there at the time and a neighbour noticed it before me and they called the fire brigade. The fire brigade nearly saved the day and could have put the caravan fire out, but having very little water onboard due to several grass fires they had previously attended to. They evacuated all personnel from the site and awaited further firetender support. The heat from the now blazing caravan started to melt the rubber window seals on the outside upper deck of the bus. Within a short time and before the other 4 fire engines arrived the bus was ablaze and totally destroyed the double decker bus.
    My worry when looking at the burntout bus shell was will the insurance company walk away and wash their hands on any insurance pay out after seeing the small woodburner and twisted stove pipe complete with whitches hat dangling in space, wedged and supported only by the twisted metal bus frame work? Or the new, as yet uninstalled solid fuel cooking range that was on the first deck of the bus? I had not mentioned these two appliances when giving a rundown of the fittings and fixtures when applying for insurance cover nor could I hide them before the insurance loss adjusters visit. It was however clear from the fire brigade report and the remnants of the adjacent caravan that these stoves played no part in the loss of the bus and paid me out the 800 original vehicle purchase price on classic vehicle insurance. This was now converted and my home complete with all my personal belongings. I then paid 150 to mate to cut the bus up into small enough pieces with a gas axe, for me to put on the back of my Lorry and I weighed in the remaing metal work. Ordered a large skip for all the ther crap. In light of it, I wish I had made sure the stoves had been mentioned to the insurance company (if I thought I would still get insurance cover) Just for the peace of mind.
    Worst case scenario is, you fit a woodburner, it causes a vehicle fire, the fire takes out other property. You could loose not only your home but be facing a bill for any other external losses and the clean up bill.
    If a person installs the appliance for you and you know they are not insured or qualified to do so, they may be negligent but that's a whole other bucket of worms. Your insurance company probably won't pay legal cost to pursue that avenue if the themselves void any claim anyway.

If possible make some enquiries under a different name, different vehicle details etc and see what answers you get from insurance companies my bus fire was 14 years ago, a lot could have changed since then. I'm not sure how many on here have been forthcoming with their insurance companies.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

I'm insured with Adrian flux as a camper under conversion. They've asked nothing about fixtures and fittings and I've said nothing. As aw said they might not be happy about a claim for fire damage caused by the burner, but can't see that it would affect a claim for a standard road traffic accident..

Noobie
    Yes that' makes sense, traffic accident should be ok..( not that I'm planning on having one) Thanks for that il look them up and see. And get a quote.as mine is just a shell at the moment.waiting to be all done ,but I'm driving it.Are you driving yours ?I mean is it on the road,
    Thanks for replying.

Noobie
    Hello ,Thanks for all that info and taking the time to write ,I'm sorry about the loss of your bus,how horrible to have to not be able to save it,and all your things .Oh dear:-( .Yes I'd just like to install it and not say ,and hope for best, No way could I have a factory one installed :-) cost rather a lot,,, I'm doing it as and when I next have bits of money I will have to see what Adrian Flux insurers say.Times have so changed ,too many rules regulations, law's etc .Thanks for replying

Quote Originally Posted by gypostyx View Post
    Yes that' makes sense, traffic accident should be ok..( not that I'm planning on having one) Thanks for that il look them up and see. And get a quote.as mine is just a shell at the moment.waiting to be all done ,but I'm driving it.Are you driving yours ?I mean is it on the road,
    Thanks for replying.
    Yeah mines converted just insured it for a second year as under conversion as I've not got round to reregistering it as a camper yet. They don't seem to care to be honest ..

Noobie
    Ok sounds like a good idea to do what you have done .Thanks very much .

Not Quite a Noobie
    Adrian flux gave me a good competitive quote for insurance, dwelling of unusual construction, with wood burner and land. So good that there was no point shopping around. Helpful people / company. Recommended.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Chilling Out
    ​I would not mention it , just get it insured as a home built motorhome , I had a truck burn down once and that had a full size range in it , when the assessor came out to look at the damage he never even mention the stove ( was the co op ) they paid me out 1500 and I bought it back for 500 and rebuilt it
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Noobie
    Ive been putting off ringing them in case they say no,,, stupid I know!! Just wanted to do it right and stuff,but am considering not telling them,as well
    Thanks for replying.

dont mention it as they note it on the system and refuse to cover it ..

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingwill View Post
    dont mention it as they note it on the system and refuse to cover it ..
    is that true? Do you know of anyone actually being refused insurance because they have a woodburner fitted or fitted one themselves?
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

yes they will only cover third party only ..it was me about 5 years ago