THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Living off grid in own woodland

Heavenly Creature
    The point is, the Dale Farm travellers started out with a scrap yard and permission, then spread out without permission. The resulting site was four times bigger than the original scrap yard land.
    I doubt travellers would worry about suck details.....

Does anyone hv any links to purchase a small holding,so i can put a shipping container on the land and live off grid 🤔

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Travelsofpan
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Does anyone hv any links to purchase a small holding,so i can put a shipping container on the land and live off grid 樂
    Are you wanting to buy a smallholding with residential permission or registered and already operating as a smallholding? Or are you just wanting to buy a small holding size bit of land? Any particular plot/size limit - minimum or maximum size.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Turning On
    Found on eBay, item number 282450422611 or just search "woodland for sale"
    (sorry, haven't worked out how to do link on mobile phone).
    Near Kilkhampton, Devon (near border with Cornwall). 8 acres of woodland, previously used for bushcraft courses, so has some basic facilities. Access by 4x4. 2 miles from beach They're asking 45k or best offer.
    Last edited by Deguigand; 21-05--2017 at 07:23 PM.

Heavenly Creature

If you can copy and pasted the item number, just copy and paste the URL the same way!

Turning On
    Thank you. I'll give copy and pasting a try next time.
    I'm a bit old fashioned... Still in the 20th century. I used a bit of paper and a pen for the item number. It's only now I'm off grid that I have a telephone that's not attached to the wall by a wire. :-)

Transcending
    Look at their feedback as a seller - it's awful. Buyer beware.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Originally Posted by Boaty McBoatface
    Look at their feedback as a seller - it's awful. Buyer beware.
    Well, that's always true... But when it's land, and there are solicitors involved, he's going to be hard pushed to pull a fast one...

Some great pojnts made on here

Sorry for l8 reply,looking to rent or buy 1/2 to 1 acre with water supply,also nr a stream/river to put a caravan or vw campervan,hereford/shropshire,central/west Wales area.regards Craig

Originally Posted by Travelsofpan
    Sorry for l8 reply,looking to rent or buy 1/2 to 1 acre with water supply,also nr a stream/river to put a caravan or vw campervan,hereford/shropshire,central/west Wales area.regards Craig
    Rocking horse shit comes to mind. We have had quite a surge on investors buying up small parcels of land over the last ten years. These investors were hoping that by some mirricle, they could apply for and get, (to some extent) full planning permission for residential development. Realising that Local Authorities and Central Government weren't going to relax the planning laws anytime soon. Now these investors are putting the land back on the market and taking a small but better than average profit on the land bought. In those ten years many have tried to site caravans, complete with paying or working tenants, only to find it went against them and subsequent planning applications.

Theres every chance you could find a small parcel or plot to rent. But little chance of actually managing to remain there as a resident. Too many NIMBY's that are annoyed with development sharks and land prospectors, who have been snatching up land and hoping development concent would railroad any local objection to proposed development.

I'm noticing the same plots (local) around me, going back on the market within 12 months. Some folk just aren't doing their homework and only seeing investment opportunities without research. Often a chat with the local planning department would inform the potential purchasers, that several previous owners have made enquiries into the possibility of developing these parcels of land and when they have been told development approval is very unlikely. They put the land back on the market and it all goes around again. A seller isn't likely to broadcast and negative information like local objections or Planning enquiries. Fools rush in and all that.

- - -
    Last edited by alices wonderland; 16-09--2017 at 04:08 PM.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT