THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for some time & will not survive unless donations remain consistent! We currently have over 17500 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. However, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position but we regularly run at a loss, so if you can afford to, please consider donating. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does bad grammar annoy you?

Does bad grammar annoy you?

Does bad grammar annoy you and if so what common points annoy you? For me it would be,
    Credit cards excepted.
    We all lead different lives.

What's more annoying is when people who get annoyed about bad grammar can't recognise the difference between 'bad grammar' and 'using the wrong word'. :-p
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, Lightbringer, ma bungo, parrotandcrow, Paul

My form master for 2 years also happened to be deputy headmaster and head of the English dept, we was a real Dickensian type bastard and I began to think that he had changed my name and added 'detention' every time he addressed me , consequently it is now unpossible for me to make spelling mistakes
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    No.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I. couldn't. give. a flying fuck. because there. are more. important things. in life.
    And! If? It annoys... someone; I'm more- likely to"do it

The following users think this post is groovy: convoy, itinerant child

Folk who get annoyed at the tiniest irregularities when/if they do notice annoy me. Only Buddha is 'perfect' and will help you along your way.

how nice it would be to know everything, just incase.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    I take pride in trying to write to my own satisfaction. I read what I write many times and I still make mistakes and miss things. I recognise that not everyone is as obsessive as I am about such stuff. Even my professional writer friends, who may have published many books, make sure someone else reads their work before they publish. The only time it bothers me is when people are supposedly presenting a professional front and either haven't recognised their own errors, have failed to get help when so much help is available or when they don't seem to care enough about presentation. Then I question whether these are an indication of the kind of service they offer.

However, in informal situations such as a discussion forum like this, I would much rather read someone's ideas written with non-standard or inaccurate grammar than completely accurate writing that does not communicate anything or make me think. I used to be a teacher and I would always prefer to read a pupil's ideas than worry too much about the grammar and spelling in the first instance. If the writing was going to be presented to an external audience we could always work on the presentation afterwards.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, aman, itinerant child, ma bungo, parrotandcrow

the devil's avocado Moderator Paul's Avatar
    I get more annoyed by poor use of paragraphs; I need to see chunks of text broken down or it's all just a jumble.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Duckman, itinerant child, Lightbringer

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    I try to ensure that my own writing is done well, and I enjoy reading well written work, but I don't really worry how other people write. If I can understand what they are saying, then it is good enough for me.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Lightbringer, marshlander

Yes. And no.

In a lot of situations it doesnt, but as marshlander says above when you get people who are supposedly professionals, and getting paid good money then i would expect it to be right.

A prime example is our HR department at work, they pick on the smallest transgressions by employees and enforce petty rules with a holier than thou attitude. Yet despite this they put out communications to both staff and visitors that are frankly embarrasing. What professional visitors must think i can only imagine, i mean they cant even use a spell check ffs, never mind use the correct grammar.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, Red Dragon, ThreeMoons

something i see a lot on horsey websites which are predominently teenage girls posting is, 'i brought a new saddle', (or whatever) instead of 'bought'............
    that one irritates me.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

Originally Posted by marshlander

However, in informal situations such as a discussion forum like this, I would much rather read someone's ideas written with non-standard or inaccurate grammar than completely accurate writing that does not communicate anything or make me think. I used to be a teacher and I would always prefer to read a pupil's ideas than worry too much about the grammar and spelling in the first instance. If the writing was going to be presented to an external audience we could always work on the presentation afterwards.
    I agree, I knew a very nice lady , she was headmistress , and English teacher , she said it was much better to express your self than be put off because you could not spell the words you wanted to use .
    Grammar is a bit like British Standard Kite Mark ! Just cos it has the stamp , doesnt mean its the best
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, marshlander, wurzel

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    Their and they're - hate it but guilty of it sometimes expecially if I'm in a rush. I see the Spanish making mistakes between A ver and Haber...I don't point it out.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

Green around the gills ThreeMoons's Avatar
    Their and they're - hate it but guilty of it sometimes expecially if I'm in a rush. I see the Spanish making mistakes between A ver and Haber...I don't point it out.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

Originally Posted by ThreeMoons
    there,there, calm down
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Originally Posted by ThreeMoons
    there,there, calm down
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

lone wolf survivalist.
    there was a guy on a bushcraft forum who would only post using text speak, half the time I couldn't understand a thing he wrote.
    " Does not suffer fools gladly!"
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Certain things do....one of the worst is 'could of' instead of 'could have'.......
    ​Humph!
    The following users think this post is groovy: groove

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    I think that some people on here are very observacious
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Andy T

What annoys me is online quizzes that test my grammar skills, that have questions where none of the answers are correct.

I am not that bothered. I am not very good at grammar myself but always try to write to the best of my abilities.

I do sometimes come across writing -on this site and many others- that is just unreadable which is a shame because they may be saying something that is important.

I do get annoyed at how spelling and grammar gets in the way of creativity. Sometimes I get really passionate about what I am typing and the rules of writing halt my flow but that is my problem and one I need to work through.

Paul
    PⒶUL

Erroneous apostrophes irk me a bit.

Transcending
    Bad grammar doesn't bother me at all, education does not equal intelligence and intelligence does not equal experience.

I'd rather read a grammatically bad post by someone who has first hand experience of the subject than a perfectly composed post by a dreamer.
    The following users think this post is groovy: ma bungo, marshlander

I really like it when people apply good grammar.....On the other hand I mostly can't be bothered to dot dash and comma and shockingly believe that my lack of knowledge and limited application might encourage others to not worry about speaking out even if they don't know how to create a pause or emphasise a phrase.....