THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does bad grammar annoy you?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Shroom
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    there,there, calm down
    Pardon me for asking but should you have written - Their, their, calm down?

More seriously, my grammatical pets are...

People who choose to be sloppy in their grammar. For example those using the likes of WhatsApp and who deliberately and consistently write Fanks instead of Thanks or Yup instead of Yes.

Businesses/organisations that allow atrociously laid out written communications that are "full" of spelling and punctuation errors.

Last but certainly not least are the apostrophe and the comma - Apple's 1.40 per kg - What,s the best time to meet? - Thats Freds bunch of banana's.
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes
    The following users think this post is groovy: groove

For a guy who doesn't think he has or owns much. You sure of bring enough to the party. Your a good man zendaze and valued. Your worth, knowledge, experience and wisdom, makes this forum a richer place to be.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Well I Be I Think Meez Danann Is "The Biggest" Bad Grammer Of Here I Be Thinks. .
    But It Does Not Be Making Me A Bad .Dumb Or Stupid Me Danann Not That I Be Saying You Or Anybody Is Saying That....But I Am Saying Some Peeps Might Have Bad Grammer For Reasons .
    AND Mine Be Because I Struggles With Right Grammer Or How Be Saying/Writing Things Right Ways More Because It Be Not My First Speaking/Writing Words....But I Write In Truths .No Meanness Or Unkindness Or Fakeness...Nope Nada It Popps Outta My Head To My Finger Tippies From My Heart Mind Body Spirit And Is Raw And Untamed And Wild And Off Course Be Bouncie Hypo hahahaha But Its Me Danann True Meez.

So Even If I Had Be Say "The Perfect Grammers And Understood All Big Mahoosive Words Etc"
    I Would Not Be Minding Bad Grammer As Long As It Be Real And True And Not Meanness..

Because Even Peeps With Perfect Grammers Can Be Cruel Unkind And Fake Bakes. .Just As Real Kind Caring Too

Because How We Write Good/Bad Grammer Etc Should Make Us Not Judge Label Etc The Writer Of Them Words..No Matter How Annoying Or Frustrating It Be To Read Those Words.....Because On Here And Places Forums You Can Not Be Talkings . So You Have No Choices But To Write Good/Bad Grammers Etc .

So For Me To Say "Does Bad Grammer Annoy Etc You..
    Is Just Be Like Saying "Does Peeps Accents Annoy You"
    Because Peoples Cannot Be Helping The Way They "Be Speakings Or Writings"
    Because It Simply Be Them And Their Only Way To Write Grammer Or Speak Words The Right Way Or Wrong Way .
    So For Meez . There Be No Right Or Wrong Ways To Speak Or Write Grammer As Long As It Is Real And Simply The Way That They Do It Or Say It.
    If That Kinda Makes Sense hahaha
    )
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    If I had a choice between bad grammar or Danann,she would get my vote
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, gophangover, Lightbringer

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar
    Actually,there are two things which irritate me. One is using docile instead of stupid, the other is Pacific, instead of specific. Both of these seem common up here in The Frozen North.
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

Originally Posted by itinerant child
    If I had a choice between bad grammar or Danann,she would get my vote
    A
    child for you kindness words xx Thankyou xx
    ))
    Form From The Void & Mists

Heavenly Creature
    Dannan, the way you post, with your syntax, and the odd ways you understand the words we use in our world drive some on here crazy, you know who ...... but we loves you, and have you in our smoke too
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    I thinketh her bouncy bouncy way of sharing love he he ha ha and to share smiles and bouncy happiness bounce bounce great it is and sod anyone who knocks her style, as I see, as others do what she means to say and it is always a constant of positivity and love. We need to clone her and get more of her into this world.

vote Dannan in the upcoming election for the bounce and fluff party
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Lightbringer

Off the beaten track .... Maxal's Avatar
    Informal / conversational mistakes don't bother me, and sometimes they're illuminating. I noticed somebody on one of these threads put 'stranglers' instead of 'strangers' - frankly it was a beauty to be held.

No, as long as the narrative is clear.

I dont care about grammar either,if the post is easy to understand. No one uses grammar in normal conversation.
    Im dyslexic -as are a few others on here-I also have Irlen syndrome (a visual issue making reading and typing very hit and miss.)
    I try to write understandable posts but i can't always 'see' what im posting and have to check for errors constantly,
    so i get seriously pissed off with grammar police.

Auto-complete and word correction software comes with its own foibles and annoyances so i try to do without,but i know
    of at least two regular users who are dependent on it,therefore its inevitable the odd incongruous reference will slip out.

Content and context of writing are far more important than the technical presentation.If youre pretentiously obsessing with the technical layout youre not paying attention to whats actually being spoken about by the writer.

Might do well for people to consider while they criticise poor grammar that not everyone is able -for various reasons- to adhere to the rules on English grammar and make some allowances for the fact that not everyone is perfect.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 21-08--2017 at 11:26 PM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Lightbringer, nicklincs, parrotandcrow

No, it didn't annoy me. What is more important is the message that the writer wants to deliver to his/her readers.

I'm not perfect by any means but I do notice when people say, like my husband many things wrong like brought instead of bought and many other things written like there instead of their, except instead of accept and many more but now I just read or listen without comment as the intent is still there and after all life's too short.( That apostrophe is probably in the wrong place, I don't know EVERYTHING! Lol)
    I probably make some gaffe''s as well and have not noticed it but nobody tell me if I have but I did after posting but cannot be arsed to correct it.
    I'm getting too old to bother now anyway!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer