THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website has been in arrears for a while & will not survive without your donations! We have over 18000 members & if everyone contributed we would never need to ask for money again. We appreciate that not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do run at a loss - so if you can afford to help then please donate. The progress bar is arbitary & resets every month & there is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: thoughts please

thoughts please

We may be looking at a little camper today,but wanted thoughts on price..its a 1700 Renault traffic conversion,pics look like a professional fit out,J reg,v.short mot,slight rust on wheel arches,petrol..its up at 2k,price has been dropped and open to offers..,xx

just looked at general prices and thinking 1500 tops depending on condition when we see it..its only parked 2 fields wawy from us,lol
    Last edited by Rainbomama; 21-04--2017 at 12:36 PM.

Heavenly Creature

It certainly looks nice enough... I'd be a little concerned with its starting issue (I assume it's still got a carburettor) and would put a new cam belt on immediately after purchase... Otherwise it's the usual inspection for rust underneath, and haggling on the price!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad

If it was any other than the traffic of that age, with ongoing engine probes. There's a reason there not too popular. Engine replacement wouldn't be off the cards, but rust is individual. Knock the hell out of it undernieth. What looks sound may just be well camouflaged. Spend your money wisely. Walk away. It could make a camper for a season or two, even a year or two. But then breakers yard with few onlookers.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Uncle jhad

Heavenly Creature
    Here's fails and advisories before the last MOT pass.

Reason(s) for failure
    Nearside rear brake excessively fluctuating (3.7.B.3)
    Offside rear brake excessively fluctuating (3.7.B.3)
    Hazard warning lamps inoperative All (1.4.B.1b)
    Hazard warning switch faulty (1.4.B.1d)
    Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)
    Rear fog lamp switch faulty (1.3.1a)
    Nearside Rear Direction indicator incorrect colour Unit is broken (1.4.A.2f)
    Nearside Rear Body has a sharp edge caused by damage Wing - Panel has been cut out (6.1.C.1)
    Advisory notice item(s)
    Coolant level is low
    Oil level is possibly low
    Oil dip stick level stop marker is mobile making level reading innacurrate
    Nearside Front Steering rack gaiter deteriorated (2.2.D.2d)
    Offside Front Outer Drive shaft which forms part of the suspension coupling gaiter damaged, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.4e)
    Front Vehicle structure has slight corrosion Cross member - radiator carrier (6.1.A.1)
    Nearside Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
    Nearside Front Headlamp deteriorated but light output not reduced Reflector (1.7.5a)
    Offside Front Window is inoperative - Window has dropped

Quite a lot, and considering there's starting issues, and the seller had to leave the country, I would make a really low offer. Other than that, walk away.
    You could easily get a sound van and convert for around 1000.
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, Uncle jhad

I notice the left hand end of the front bumper has been repaired with a bit of chequer plate ally too...

Heavenly Creature
    Thanks for all the input my friends We've just been and had a look at her, and it's a definite no no. Very tatty, lots of holes in the very rusty bodywork, and would require a load of work. We broke into her easily enough, since the drivers window won't close properly, and she's cute inside but also very tatty. 2000? I think they'd be lucky to get 200. Oh well, the hunt continues

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Here's fails and advisories before the last MOT pass.

Reason(s) for failure
    Nearside rear brake excessively fluctuating (3.7.B.3)
    Offside rear brake excessively fluctuating (3.7.B.3)
    Hazard warning lamps inoperative All (1.4.B.1b)
    Hazard warning switch faulty (1.4.B.1d)
    Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)
    Rear fog lamp switch faulty (1.3.1a)
    Nearside Rear Direction indicator incorrect colour Unit is broken (1.4.A.2f)
    Nearside Rear Body has a sharp edge caused by damage Wing - Panel has been cut out (6.1.C.1)
    Advisory notice item(s)
    Coolant level is low
    Oil level is possibly low
    Oil dip stick level stop marker is mobile making level reading innacurrate
    Nearside Front Steering rack gaiter deteriorated (2.2.D.2d)
    Offside Front Outer Drive shaft which forms part of the suspension coupling gaiter damaged, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.4e)
    Front Vehicle structure has slight corrosion Cross member - radiator carrier (6.1.A.1)
    Nearside Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
    Nearside Front Headlamp deteriorated but light output not reduced Reflector (1.7.5a)
    Offside Front Window is inoperative - Window has dropped

Quite a lot, and considering there's starting issues, and the seller had to leave the country, I would make a really low offer. Other than that, walk away.
    You could easily get a sound van and convert for around 1000.
    wow!didnt know you could do that,lol thanks vannie.and yes the checker plate "repair" is held on with wire ties! Xx

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    2,000, Jesus Christ.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money

There were other viewers last night so dont know if its gone,but they ll have to price drop...a lot!xx

Good Luck On Van Hunting Rainbomama Whether Tis Be This One Or Another Ones))

I Be Still Savings For Mine Forevers Now As Everytimes I Get Enough One Of My Kids Needs Help Be It Moving Home Or Deposit For Homes So Then Be My Money Pot Goes Pop hahahaha

But I Can Always Be Starting Again Wherebe My Kids Would Be Not Living Happy Where They Be Now ..
    And No Camper Vans Of My Dreamzz Wishes Be Worth Their Happinesses...
    So I Just Be Starting Overs Again ....
    Got 200 So Far So Got Longggggggs Way To Go Yet Be Still hahahaha
    Especially Since It Be
    A VW Type 2 Flo Flo Westfalia Super Cool Hippy Ones So Gonna Be Needings A Lotta Lotta More "Numbers And O's " On The End Than That !! Hahahahaha.

Unless Someone Gives It Away For Not Muchly Monies Or I Winzz The Lotto hahahahaha...(So Not Gonna Be Happens) hehehe
    But Then Again Thats What Dreamzzz Be Like Wishes )
    Form From The Void & Mists

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Here in France the masters are majoritively known for not getting to big mileage,so best not consider one over 100000 miles. Have heard this mentioned many times.
    Transits and ldv can offer you something decent for that sort of money,but keep your eyes open and wait for something with about 60-70000 miles on the clock,little or no rust,and always a new mot. If your instinct tells you it is wrong,wait for another

Good luck and I hope to have you guys park up next to me one day
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

Transcending
    Quote Originally Posted by itinerant child View Post
    Here in France the masters are majoritively known for not getting to big mileage,so best not consider one over 100000 miles. Have heard this mentioned many times.
    Transits and ldv can offer you something decent for that sort of money,but keep your eyes open and wait for something with about 60-70000 miles on the clock,little or no rust,and always a new mot. If your instinct tells you it is wrong,wait for another

Good luck and I hope to have you guys park up next to me one day
    On the other hand, I'm on my third (a 2008 Movano) which currently has nearly 180k and runs sweet. The previous were a Renault Master 35 and another Movano, both went past 150k before I sold them.

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    I believe that it is a particular model that has lots of engine problems,I think that it was the 2.2 , though will verify that when I see my mechanic on monday.

Part par renault,retour par velo is a phrase I have heard many time here,which means leave by renault return by bike.
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

Transcending
    Quote Originally Posted by itinerant child View Post
    I believe that it is a particular model that has lots of engine problems,I think that it was the 2.2 , though will verify that when I see my mechanic on monday.

Part par renault,retour par velo is a phrase I have heard many time here,which means leave by renault return by bike.
    I must have been lucky with Renaults, I have also heard tales about reliability issues. My vans were all 2.5 turbos. I also had a big Renault car - rare in the UK where they are known for their small models - a Safrane V6i which was the most comfortable car I ever owned, my wife still regrets selling it and would have another tomorrow.

Well the one we,and others we saw viewing..is still sat sadly rusting in the field!xx
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree

Heavenly Creature
    If you want it, offer them 500. I bet somebody has already.

Nah!not worth the cost of making it good..even if possible,round the window rubbers is all holes,start messing,welding etc there it ll still leak..plus its a cross bed and ujs too long xx

Heavenly Creature
    Fair enough, forget it then!

stay away they are not called renault tragic for nothing
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, Rick69, Uncle jhad