THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: Permanent park up/camping location

Turning On

Permanent park up/camping location

I was just wondering how many people here are living in their vans full time and have a kind of permanent location or home base?

How much do you pay for this? Whereabouts is it? How did you find it? What kind of home comforts do you have on site? All that kind of stuff.

Just curious really to what others are doing, what they've got, what they need and how they went about looking for it.

I'm looking for someone to help run a wild camping site in Ireland. They can have a permanent parkup in return for being there when I'm not
    Contact me if you're interested

The following users think this post is groovy: cricket, Offgrid hero

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenertech View Post
    I'm looking for someone to help run a wild camping site in Ireland. They can have a permanent parkup in return for being there when I'm not
    Contact me if you're interested
    And if you are actually making any money from it then hopefully a few quid towards living expenses to make the deal a bit fairer for whoever contacts you and gets the positiion !! If you are not profitting from the situation at all then a free park up sounds reasonable
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    I live in van full time but have no homebase now as am constantly moving around france from either client to client or mountain to mountain. I have got my own forest-woodland in Brittany where I visit whenever I am in the area,but really I spend an equal amount of time in certain park ups in many different national parks around the country. I have no ties to any particular area,but there are lots of area's that I love to spend time in.
    For me personally,the great thing of being a full time "nomad" is that the world is my oyster
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: essexcamper, marshlander, Petew

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    I will be interested to see how this pans out. They will probably put the rent up to twice the going rate in the area and price those few out. I was shocked when I found out what some legal travellers have to pay round our way just for a small hard standing and a wash room.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Heavenly Creature
    Sadly, because there's been opposition, they won't get their permission.

Quote Originally Posted by vanwoman84 View Post
    Sadly, because there's been opposition, they won't get their permission.
    all I could find from the Forest of Dean Council development plan is this dated 2012

Gypsy and Travellers.
    'New statistics from the ONS concerning the number of gypsy and traveller caravans in the countysuggest that on the latest county the total number of gypsy and traveller caravans (including authorizedand unauthorized) was 395 at January 2011, with Tewkesbury accounting two thirds (261). There isno data with regard to the number of residents living in theses caravans.' Nothing mentioning horsefair lane.

Heavenly Creature
    The travellers moved onto the Old Council Depot on Horsefair Lane in 2006 when Gloucestershire County Council, who leased the site at the time, allowed them a year-long camp.
    But ever since, local residents and parish councils have opposed the occupation and say the Forest of Dean District Council has ignored their pleas.
    Newent Mayor Eddie Wood said: “It’s council-owned land and the authority needs travellers sites and have been ignoring this issue.”
    Last month, resident Kevin Morgan declared that he had continuously occupied the site since 2006 and that no third party had challenged his right to occupy the area.
    But in an article in The Forester dated November 30, 2006 then town councillor Eddie Wood and local resident Brian Oakley objected to the occupation and Cllr Wood said the decision to allow the travellers onto the site was ‘appalling’.
    From "The Forester" article Cricket posted. That looks like a documented objection to me

I did read the article in the Forester Cricket posted, that's why I became interested to see how this was going & not just assume because someone had complained sometime ago, that there was no way forward and it was now a closed case.
    Sometimes looking behind what we read in the local rag or internet dribble we find what we are looking for.

From the planning application submitted MARCH 2017.

Theres lots of info so do take time to open up and read documents if only for case reference should we find ourselves in a similar position.
    https://publicaccess.fdean.gov.uk/on...=OM53Z8HI01000

Heavenly Creature
    Thanks for the links AW, but I don't fancy filling up my phone with the docs.
    My point was that a complaint can come at any time, a week after moving in, or a month prior to the planning application.
    It must be torture waiting for the time to pass.

Sure but there's no 'complaint' on record that 'has' been acted upon. Reading 'the docs' it's just a succession of Council blunders. It's only problem I can see with the information available is :. It could be objected to on 'residential' grounds because of the HIGH risk to ground water? But hopefully connection to the drainage system, sewer system at a cost. It really looks like this one is a winner for those few who sat it out failing that the District Council will have a duty to relocate 'not house' if they are to decide against permission and make them effectively homeless. It is worth studying the protocol just for the inside knowledge. Although docs are a dozen or more, there's very little in terms of depth or number of pages. Very well executed procedure by the travellers and poor response from Parish Council who 'were' serving that Community around the site.

Heavenly Creature
    Well that does sound better. Lets hope the lack of preparation on the council or 'residents' part will help the travellers.

I dont think they pay they are squating?
    Quote Originally Posted by alices wonderland View Post
    I will be interested to see how this pans out. They will probably put the rent up to twice the going rate in the area and price those few out. I was shocked when I found out what some legal travellers have to pay round our way just for a small hard standing and a wash room.
    There are some very very posh houses been built in the lane AFTER the travellers came.The site is next to a canal and stream.The canal trust are doing up that bit of canal and lock, twits who want it all twee posh and boring.Also in the Foreste,r look for Canal trust plans thwarted in Newent.Those wicked hippies are not only less toxic than a council yard,their minds probably are too, eco protests over canal digging out.In Newent its rotary club handshake crap from the 50s still going on.The footpath from Newent to the canal locks goes round the awful hippies...you can actually see them.
    Last edited by cricket; 23-04--2017 at 07:42 PM.

If you search the Gloustershire District panning applications, the canal applications are there for the viewing. I read a few as it was pointed out 'relevant' in the hippies consultation docs! It doesn't look too favourable for the canal trust at the outset. So it's not a closed book or a 50's click driving these planning discussions nor posh new comers. It's just Council policy for once.

I have a pitch on an industrial estate in Sussex. it is a secure yard, with flush toilets and running water.
    I pay £50 a month.
    I found it by asking everyone I knew who had a unit on an industrial estate to ask their landowner if he'd consider renting me a park up.
    LOTS of negative answers, but then I had a positive one, he's a nice landlord, as long as he gets his £50 a month, in an envelope, through his letterbox on the correct day, he is quite happy.
    Smile - It'll make them nervous.
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, Miss_bee

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I had a permenant park up on an industrial estate for a couple of years . I was allowed their free as a security measure , and boy did they need one , nearly every night there was someone up to no good , I got fed up with been woken up at all hours and chasing people off . It got pretty hairy a few times , I had a mobile phone in those days , but police response time was shit . I kept getting worried they would come back for me after me chasing them off . Blocked some one in with my truck once and the owner of unit that was been broken into gave me a bottle of wiskey as a reward , needed it to get to sleep after !

Turning On
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin M View Post
    I have a pitch on an industrial estate in Sussex. it is a secure yard, with flush toilets and running water.
    I pay £50 a month.
    I found it by asking everyone I knew who had a unit on an industrial estate to ask their landowner if he'd consider renting me a park up.
    LOTS of negative answers, but then I had a positive one, he's a nice landlord, as long as he gets his £50 a month, in an envelope, through his letterbox on the correct day, he is quite happy.
    We eventually found somewhere but it's quite a bit over what we thought we would pay, however, we don't have the luxury of picking and choosing. On the positive though, it's basically a camp site with 3 people on it and all the facilities we would need. It will make the trasistion to hippy life easier.

We must of contacted every farm, livery, fishery and such between Reading and Guildford over the last 6 months. We did find one place, but he sold the land to developers (curses!). And whilst everyone has said "no", for the most part they have been nice and sympathetic about it. I guess once we get into the living of the life a bit more we will build up contacts and get to know places. It would be nice to get our own patch of land someday though.