THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: do you look like a hippy?

No, I look like a middle aged woman, which is what I am. I never particularly enjoyed uniforms of any kind, whether that was school, trendy, or alternative.. 'clothes dont maketh the man' or something, as somebody said, once.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, parrotandcrow

I just wear what I want, I don't care about identifying with a certain group by wearing certain clothing, it's to much pointless effort, plus the fact that I can't stand clothes shopping
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i once bought a pair of vertically, rainbow striped jeans off camden market because they were the only pair and i felt sorry for them............i do wish i still had them, would knock a few people into a cocked hat lol, wonder where they went?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

I do like to see people with a touch of difference about themselves. Brightens up my day to see someone with bright pink hair, or beautiful boots..
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, EnfysaDafaid, marshlander, nicklincs

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Miss_bee
    I do like to see people with a touch of difference about themselves. Brightens up my day to see someone with bright pink hair, or beautiful boots..
    oh the boots.............. lol

The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Danann, EnfysaDafaid, marshlander, nicklincs

happy boots

i need a whole nother thread for my boots............but my current faves are my plain black Fly London full length, along with my black cons, and my black airwalk trainers, and my new vintage tan stack heels, and my oxblood zip knee high air wear, and my leopard skin stiletto russell and bromley ankle boots and my 30 yr old flowery 16 hole air wear,..........you get the picture...........many more besides.
    gutted though 'cause my harry hall yard boots expired beyond repair and i can't afford to replace them, so comfy and great for working outside bars.
    Last edited by groove; 17-05--2017 at 12:43 AM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee

Yeah, they are. When I got them they were shiny iridescent purple/pink.

Heavenly Creature
    Whatever I'm wearing, I still have the pony and the beard, so I suppose I must look slightly alternative. (More so first thing in the morning when I look at the semi-toothless creature in the mirror before the hair is tied back).

As many have already said, it's inside that really counts, not what you're wearing. Getting on a bit now, I tend to wear what feels easy and comfortable. Came across an old pair of my tattered flares awhile back; they looked great but I couldn't now get my ass inside them and zip up! I guess they shrunk a lot over the years.

The other half dresses mostly in dark stuff, often with a camo cap or other slightly unorthodox headgear, or whatever happens to be on the hook nearest the door when she goes out. She has a really bright turquoise cap recently, see it a mile off, so great in crowds or at car boots, or big stores. She still shocks her mother - 87 now, bless her! - who really should be used to her by now
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Ecobob, marshlander, Miss_bee, nicklincs

Yeah, they are. When I got them they were shiny iridescent purple/pink.
    i had a couple of lovely pairs of boots years back from a firm called Puggz, wo don't seem to exist any more, handmade leather boots, mine were black and purple with lil moons and stars airbrushed on. so so comfy. cheaper imitations are still available but not Puggz.

I tend to like boots that are easier to get on than docs these days, and lighter to wear. Those docs make my back ache..

I tend to like boots that are easier to get on than docs these days, and lighter to wear. Those docs make my back ache..
    these are my fave pair of air wear now............

similar to this but a bit taller and i have oxblood
    and my current favourite squeeze it this...

i have this in black.........

mmmmm boots.......

dr martens now do a 'lite' sole

Originally Posted by rhythm
    Hmmm, lots of hippies saying they are non conformist, but conforming to a dress code of wearing colourful clothes to identify as hippies.

To Be Honest I Do Not Wear Colourful Clothes And Bright Colours And Flowers In My Hair A Often Be Barefeet Etc Etc To "Conform Or Identify Myself As A Hippy" ....
    I Wear Those Kind Of Clothes From A Teenie Tiny Meez To Me Danann Today ....Simply And Truly Because I Love Wearing Those Sort Of Clothes And It Just Is Natural For Me To Choose And Wear Them Too As Well As Being Barefoot Etc Etc ....And Not Choose To Wear Them To Simply Identify Myself As "A Hippy"...Just As It Is The Samr Why People Only Wear Jeans All The Time Or Dresses All The Time Or Biker Clothing Etc ..As They Are Not Trying To Label And Conform To Any Dress Code They Simply Like Those Clothes And So Choose To Wear Them And Buy Them Just The Same As I Do.....
    Yes I May Look Like What People Say To Me "Classic Woodstock Hippy Or Hippy Etc" But I Only Do Because I Choose To Wear Them Because I Like Them And Not To Make Or Label Myself As Hippy....If That Makes Sense hahaha
    And
    It Was Only As A Grew Older That "I Got Stereo Typed/Labelled "Hippy" Not Only Because Of The Clothes I Wear But Because Of My Natural Free Wild Spirit Too...
    Because As I Say Before ...Its NOT The Clothes That Make A Person Or A Hippy Etc ..It Is The Persons Mind Heart Body Spirit That Makes Them Who They Are And I Know People Who Wear Office Clothes All The Time But Choose To Live The Hippy Lifestyle And Have More Hippy Spirit Than Many Hippy Clothes Wearing People ....Because Yes You Can Dress Like A Hippy But Not Have The Heart And Spirit Of One ......Because Clothes As Said Do Not Make A Hippy ...Because Hippy Is Of Spirit Not Threads....
    )
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: EnfysaDafaid

I Think In Honesty Its Kinda Funny That I Do Have What Could Be Called "A Hippy Spirit" As Well As Been Natural Wild And Free Spirited And Love Of All Things Etc Etc And So I Think My Clothes Mirror My Heart And Spirit Or As English Call It "Personality" ..So Naturally What Can And Is Called "Hippy Clothes" Mirror/Reflect That I Guess....

But I Did Not Go Out Thinking "Oh I Will Only Wear Hippy Clothes So I Can Look Like One Too" hahahaha....Because As Said I Be Wearing Flowers Etc In My Hair And Barefoot And Bright Colourful Clothes Since Tiny Me And Before I Even Knew What "A Hippy Was" Too
    ) Which Was Simply Because My Heritage And My People All Be Like That And Wear Clothes Like That Etc Because It Is Our Natural Way To Look Like That Too Before Hippies Came Along Or Were Known My People Have For Many Many Moons Time Of Times Been Always What People Would Call "Hippy Look" ....But We Are Not Called Or Known As
    A "Hippy Tribe Or Hippy People Etc" No We Be Of Something Else ....So It Is True "Hippy Clothes" Does Not Mean "You Are A Hippy".....

And The Best Showing Of This Is
    "The Beautiful American Native People" Which Always Shock People ...Because..
    "Most If Not All People Expect /Label/Stereotype Them To
    "Be Wearing (Buckskins And Bare Chested Etc And Wearing Moccasins Etc Etc All The Time" ...And Are Sooo Shocked When They Visit USA Native American Lands And See Them All Mostly Wearing "Jeans..Cowboy Boots And Cowboy Shirts And Cowboy Hats" Yep .Yup There Mouths Hang Open In Shock hahahahaha....

So The Point Is "They Dress Like What People Would Call "CowBoy Style" And So May Look Like A Cowboy...But
    "They Be Defo NOT" hahahaha...No They Are Proud Native Americans And NO Clothes Would Ever Change That And Very Spiritual People...Not Never A Cowboy hahahaha...
    They Simply Chose And Choose To Wear Cowboy Clothes And Only Really Normally Wear Their True Peoples/Tribes Clothes When They "Gather At Gatherings And Ceremonies Etc.

So Like Many Have Said The Clothes Do Not Show Always The "True Persons Heart Or Spirit" .Or Belief They Just Be Simply Clothes They Like And Choose To Wear And Not To Conform Or Be Labelled Etc Etc ..Nope..Nada..No...Its Just "Simply Own Choices" That Be All.
    ))
    Form From The Void & Mists

I wear colourful clothes to match my personality

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, groove

Chilling Out
    Long scruffy hair? Yup.
    Otherwise, mostly black clothes heheh. I'm more metal than hippy, but often more hippy than the metalheads at gigs.
    Not quite as normal-looking as my normal-looking friends/colleagues, not as punk as the punks.
    My fingernails are dirty just now and I think my feet are clean, although it is midweek shower day so they may not be!
    I like relatively plain, muted clothes, and only have a particular fetish for good quality outdoor gear. At present this is limited to a beautiful pair of Berghaus lightweight walking boots but I need to save up for some good waterproofs at the moment.

Not a hippy so much as a freak, and on the whole I'm stealth heh
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, dustydave

Mostly denim, but my children's gerbils seem obsessed with chewing holes in it, if not denim then purple - i dye things purple or electric blue. I do like russets and reds though - when i go to festivals i always wear orange - not sure why. My favourite clothes though are warm clothes. I find Screwfix the best place to get cheap boots from - the only downside is that all my boots are steel toed, although i also managed to get a free pair of Lundhags - a Swedish boot company that make water proof hiking boots - i wear those most days.

I smell like the outside. I shave every few days. Cut my own hair - not much to cut. I smile a lot.
    Everything is not normal.

Chilling Out
    Ha just realised today is case in point:

Charcoal grey boots, charcoal grey jeans-ish trousers, black Neurosis (band) hoody... and peeking out from under it a bright blue/yellow/red woven belt with tassels. I'd forgotten I was wearing that! My practical webbing belt is currently in use as part of a booby trap my son has set in the front room.

Originally Posted by groove
    no, i don't think so.......... but you act like one.

- - - Updated - - -

you do............
    definately,lol xx

Originally Posted by groove
    these are my fave pair of air wear now............

similar to this but a bit taller and i have oxblood
    and my current favourite squeeze it this...

i have this in black.........

mmmmm boots.......

i was eying up your boots at horse drawn,and the doccers,i had those in red!xx

Im just glad i can pass as mainstream..would hate to be mistaken for a smelly hippy xx

Although I have dreads and a beard I don't think I look like a hippy.

I don't think I am a hippy

Others may disagree

Paul
    PⒶUL

I don't wear bright clothes...mostly black actually...but sometimes I think I look more like a hippy than i want to. I'm not a hippy in my head but it's what you always end up getting branded as if you're alternative. As a side note, i'd die without my black leggings...