THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: do you look like a hippy?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by hagrid
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wasting my time, obviously. too many NIMLTers who think nothing will ever happen to upset their boring mundane lives.
    Not too sure about that Hagrid, most everyone complains about having to waste their hard-earned time and money on insurance - until they actually need it and then they are sooooo pleased that they have it.

You've chosen your form of insurance, likely hope you will never need to use it, but will be happy to have it if things go pear-shaped?
    "The European Union is just like a jigsaw puzzle, except the pieces all come from different puzzles". - Red Dragon

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    - Calvin+Hobbes

wasting my time, obviously. too many NIMLTers who think nothing will ever happen to upset their boring mundane lives.
    It's coming, just a matter of when and where. With peeps like Putin, Tramp and Kim the twat playing power games instead of looking how to go forward for the good of all mankind, anyone who ignores the signs will be the bleating sheep when it does especially if we're hit. You're just the 'poke in the eye' which reminds all on a 'peace and love' website that there's a shitty world out there whether we like it or not.
    Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Miss_bee, Red Dragon

sure, I could have just kept shtum and said nothing, but I want people to prepare, to be self reliant, not rely on the system, that's takes words on a forum, hell i'm running 2 forums so how am I supposed to keep a low profile?
    Why do you? You don't like people, and the more that survive means more competition for dwindling resources. Two good reasons i would have thought to keep quiet about it.

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Rick69
    Why do you? You don't like people, and the more that survive means more competition for dwindling resources. Two good reasons i would have thought to keep quiet about it.
    everybody is entitled to at least TRY to survive, I suppose its their human right, but not many want to bother.

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
    Not too sure about that Hagrid, most everyone complains about having to waste their hard-earned time and money on insurance - until they actually need it and then they are sooooo pleased that they have it.

You've chosen your form of insurance, likely hope you will never need to use it, but will be happy to have it if things go pear-shaped?
    yes, I wouldnt be bothering otherwise, like the "it'll never happen" brigade I could just spend my time on fripperies and holidays and stuff.

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Wulfie
    It's coming, just a matter of when and where. With peeps like Putin, Tramp and Kim the twat playing power games instead of looking how to go forward for the good of all mankind, anyone who ignores the signs will be the bleating sheep when it does especially if we're hit. You're just the 'poke in the eye' which reminds all on a 'peace and love' website that there's a shitty world out there whether we like it or not.
    yes the signs are out there for all too see, that's if they remove their rose tinted glasses.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

Ah, but wearing them like Janis did and looking good till the end

Not all who wander are lost
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, EnfysaDafaid, FriedOnion, joplin, marshlander, Miss_bee

lone wolf survivalist.
    ah !!!Janis Joplin, that takes me back, when music was good and the vibes were even better.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Wulfie

everybody is entitled to at least TRY to survive, I suppose its their human right, but not many want to bother.
    The many not bothering is all the better for those that do. Another reason to keep quiet about it all. Human nature means that anyone not prepared will be looking to steal off those that are.

EDIT - The problem with this app is that it is quite easy to lose sight of what you are posting where. This is dragging the original thread way off course, so apologies to the OP.

lone wolf survivalist.

Originally Posted by Rick69
    The many not bothering is all the better for those that do. Another reason to keep quiet about it all. Human nature means that anyone not prepared will be looking to steal off those that are.
    well they can try, but without imports the food stock is finite, it dosent matter how you cut it, ration it, or move it around, it will only last so long. the test will come when it has all been consumed, that's when the big die off will start in earnest, give it a few months and the population will be vastly reduced, then maybe some form of "tribal" set up will emerge from the ruins of the old civilisation.
    maybe we can then start to live with nature and all things natural, instead of trashing it in a search for wealth. just maybe?

I have never identified with the term "hippie". Although I had my hair fairly long throughout the 1970s (who didn't), and except for that Jimmy Dean revival phase I went through between '86-'88, it hasn't ever been cut since.
    Then, once I started growing my beard out around the same time, the "bohemian" look really started to come together.
    But to be honest, I probably identify more with Byron than Leary.
    I do admit that my lifestyle - growing my own produce, the wealth of handicrafts I've been into over the years, not to mention my musical tastes do largely contradict this personal viewpoint.
    However, I don't drink alcohol and have never taken any recreational drugs nor smoked.
    I have also not eaten a hamburger since '89.

Lately I have been wearing an old surplus U.S. Vietnam War jacket that I've customised with vintage patches and buttons and a big Jimi Hendrix back patch.
    I am starting to realise that I may have lost the fight and started to conform to a certain stereotype, but I don't care anymore. I've arrived at this look not from hopping onto the freeway, but by taking the long country roads.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Danann, nicklincs

Turning On
    I wouldn't consider myself a hippy in any way... Not like a 60's stereotypical hippy. I'd say the most hippy thing I do was attend UKHippy.com on a daily basis now. (probably something I should have done many years ago)
    I do love quirky unique products and items. I dress to be warm and comfortable. Living up north requires fleeces and waterproofs for 3/4 seasons. And my taste of music is rather too far away from the expected genre. I'm in and have been in a deep dark drum and bass worm hole for the past 13 years.
    But what is a hippy is there a definition of what one is?

-- Posted from the
    --

What a silly ? Its not just a look its a life. Ffs there is no real look its just your feelin inside. And who can realy say wtf you should look like. Sorry for rant just be yoursen
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Lightbringer, Miss_bee, NomadicRT, oldkeith, parrotandcrow, Wulfie

Its What You Have And Wear On The Inside Of Your Skin In Your Heart Mind Body Spirit....Where You Will
    "Find The True Real Hippy" Because Thats Where The True Hippy Comes From And Where They Be Always
    )
    And NOT What We Wear On Our Skin .Or Colour Of Our Skin Or Colour Of Our Hair And What We Have Upon Our Feet Etc..
    Nooooo "The True Real Beautiful Hippy" Comes From Within" Always
    )♡♡♡♡♡♡

As Many Sooo Called Hippy Can Dress Like One ...But Not Truly Be One ...You Only Have To Look At The Hundreds Of "So Called Hippy Clothes At Glasto And Most Festis Now That Peeps "Dress Up For The Day Playing Hippies" To Know That "Clothes Etc " Does Not Mean True Hippy Spirit" Or A Real Hippy....Cos Thats "Invisible" Because As I Say Before "That Comes From Within And Under The Skin"
    And You Cannot "BUY" That ...Because The True Hippy Is
    In "Heart Mind Body Spirit" And Its Invisible To The Eyes Of Man ...But Flows Out From Within The True Hippy And Carried And Felt Through The Beautiful Hippy Vibes For All To Feel And Share As The True Hippy Will Throw Out And Walk Always In The Steps And Path Of
    Love ..Peace...Happiness
    ))
    Last edited by Danann; 13-09--2017 at 01:20 AM.
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, snowmoose, Wulfie

Wouldnt classing yourself as a nonconformist be actually conforming to being a nonconformist?
    I've not even had weed!

The following users think this post is groovy: EnfysaDafaid, parrotandcrow

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    Wouldnt classing yourself as a nonconformist be actually conforming to being a nonconformist?
    I've not even had weed!
    There is truth in this, there are lots of sub-culture groups in society that came about because of not wanting to conform to mainstream social norms, the funny thing being that these Sub-cultures have there own own dress codes and social norms that people have to follow to be classed as part of the group, so people are still conforming.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Well I Can Truly Say "I Dont Conform To Anything" Just To Be Accepted Socially And There Social Mainstream Acceptable Thinking To Simply Fit In Anywhere Or Be Accepted As "Norm Or Normal"...
    I Can Truly Say . I Just Flo
    Where I Wanna Floww..And Wear What I Wanna Wear...Say And Be And Do My Own Thing And Things In Life... That Are Real To Me And What I Believe In ...And Not Be Really Caring If I Not Socially Accepted ....Because My Heart Mind Body Spirit Is Wild And Free And True To Myself And True To Others Always....Because Then I Can Walk Near Any Flame Or Any Fire Without Fear Of "Melting" ...Because
    "I Am Not Fake And Plastic" To Fit In And Be Accepted And To Socially Conform To Fit Into Societies Accepted Club.So I Will Not "MELT" ...Nope ...
    "I Am Simply REAL" ....And Flo
    And Run Wild And Free Along My Own River
    And Dance To The Beats Of My Own Drum
    )) hahaha

Originally Posted by Danann
    Well I Can Truly Say "I Dont Conform To Anything"
    Is that a rule you follow, because that would be conforming to a rule

[QUOTE=rhythm;1603008]Is that a rule you follow, because that would be conforming to a rule

[/QUOTE

hahahaha.....Thats Sooo Cheeky Sneaky hahaha...
    Sooo Nope ..Nada ..No...Its Not A "Rule" I Follow ...As I "Dont Follow Rules" Its Just My Natural Way I Be hahahaha.

If Anything I Say I Always Have Been A "Rule Breaker" A "Not Fitter Of A Mould Or Box" Either hahaha ...As I Tend To Break Out Of Them And Run Run Far Away From Any "Rules .Labells...Boxes ..Conforms Etc Etc" And Just Simply Bounce Bounce Happily Along Wild And Free And Flo
    Past The "Rocks" That Want To Stop/Trap/Catch And Block And Stiffle Me .. ..With There "Rules And Boxes And Labells And Conforms And Acceptable Standards Of There All The Same Colour Acceptable Brain Dead Zombie Society ....Nope I Defo Not Be One Of The "Hoards Of Societys Accepted Zombies " ..
    I Am And Be More Like The One Chopping Of There Zombie Boring Heads Rather Than Becoming One Of "Acceptable Societies Conformist Walking Boring Dead" hahahahaha.
    )

what an action packed thread! tidy stuff.
    oooh... is this where i speak about me - agh, im on spotlight!! na its ok.
    umm i suppose the beginning for me was being called a hippy when i was very little, mostly for not having really short hair like other boys. and i still didn't understand hippy for the following ten years of being pointed out as being one. but now i think i get it and i is happy to be associated with those thingsies hippydom stands for.
    so i suppose i look like a hippy, ye. i dont like buying clothes cos i can make em myself, so why kinda go and spend money that could be better spent in the black market on some yummy yummmy ... black market food. plus, its difficult to find clothes that you have a connection to if you haven't watched them form and come to life, or been gifted to yer by someone who loves you. to surround yourself by love and good vibes i think clothes are a good place to start.
    yes i loooove textiles mmmmm mmmmm mmmmmm.
    phew you guys have got me goin'
    time to warp up the loom again methinksss....
    its a wavy world fullof sheep and rainbows
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, parrotandcrow

Originally Posted by Danann
    Well I Can Truly Say "I Dont Conform To Anything" Just To Be Accepted Socially And There Social Mainstream Acceptable Thinking To Simply Fit In Anywhere Or Be Accepted As "Norm Or Normal"...
    I Can Truly Say . I Just Flo
    Where I Wanna Floww..And Wear What I Wanna Wear...Say And Be And Do My Own Thing And Things In Life... That Are Real To Me And What I Believe In ...And Not Be Really Caring If I Not Socially Accepted ....Because My Heart Mind Body Spirit Is Wild And Free And True To Myself And True To Others Always....Because Then I Can Walk Near Any Flame Or Any Fire Without Fear Of "Melting" ...Because
    "I Am Not Fake And Plastic" To Fit In And Be Accepted And To Socially Conform To Fit Into Societies Accepted Club.So I Will Not "MELT" ...Nope ...
    "I Am Simply REAL" ....And Flo
    And Run Wild And Free Along My Own River
    And Dance To The Beats Of My Own Drum
    )) hahaha
    There will only ever one danann that's for sure
    xx

we're all unique, just like everyone else is
    do I dare disturb the universe?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Lightbringer

[QUOTE=Danann;1603011]

Originally Posted by rhythm
    Is that a rule you follow, because that would be conforming to a rule

[/QUOTE

hahahaha.....Thats Sooo Cheeky Sneaky hahaha...
    Sooo Nope ..Nada ..No...Its Not A "Rule" I Follow ...As I "Dont Follow Rules" Its Just My Natural Way I Be hahahaha.

If Anything I Say I Always Have Been A "Rule Breaker" A "Not Fitter Of A Mould Or Box" Either hahaha ...As I Tend To Break Out Of Them And Run Run Far Away From Any "Rules .Labells...Boxes ..Conforms Etc Etc" And Just Simply Bounce Bounce Happily Along Wild And Free And Flo
    Past The "Rocks" That Want To Stop/Trap/Catch And Block And Stiffle Me .. ..With There "Rules And Boxes And Labells And Conforms And Acceptable Standards Of There All The Same Colour Acceptable Brain Dead Zombie Society ....Nope I Defo Not Be One Of The "Hoards Of Societys Accepted Zombies " ..
    I Am And Be More Like The One Chopping Of There Zombie Boring Heads Rather Than Becoming One Of "Acceptable Societies Conformist Walking Boring Dead" hahahahaha.
    )
    Let's analyze this response.

So I see here.......

1. Conforming to the concept of not conforming.
    2. Conforming to to the concept of not fitting in.
    3 You say Breaking out and running away from the mould, there would be some sort of rule to make you do that, so conforming to a rule to run away, which fits in wih conforming to the concept of not fitting in.

Don't forget that conformism is also done subconsciously, as people are pushed by the environment and the stimulus around them.

'Rule Breaker' is a label.

You are trying too hard to conform at not conforming

Heavenly Creature
    Some of you appear to be forgetting that in order to conform to anything, you must first define that to which you will be conforming.
    This also holds for non-conforming; you must first define that to which you do not conform, in order to be able not to conform to it.

The word 'Rules' means something quite different to what is stated above. Rules tend to be a generally-recognised or prescribed set of principles within a given context. So we cannot say that an individual is conforming to a rule unless the rule is generally-recognised by a given number of people in a given context.

Hence you cannot conform to a rule of running away from something, unless there is a generally-recognised principle, in a given context, of people running away. If there is not, it cannot be defined as a rule.