THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: do you look like a hippy?

do you look like a hippy?

so, off the back of the 'haircuts' thread, i was wondering to myself, do you look like a stereotypical hippy, and should you even try to?

it was a standard joke in bike pubs at the end of the night for people to come and get their coat from behind the bar and say, 'it's the black leather jacket',...........yeah thanks that really helps me.
    and going to festivals, if you try to describe someone to someone else, 'he's the one with the long dark dreads, combat pants and a rainbow jumper', ain't gonna help either........

so i don't look like a hippy, but i also don't look mainstream river island trendy..........i feel very normal and boring standing next to some of my colourful be-dreaded friends.
    how much does it matter what you wear or how you have your hair or if you have piercings and tattoos?

discuss...........
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Danann, skydog

I'm quite colourful, I looked more hippy when I had my dreads

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    I'm quite colourful, I looked more hippy when I had my dreads
    aha, step up, that's kind of what i've been thinking about, you 'looked' more hippy to others maybe, but were you more hippy or did you feel more hippy, and if so, why?
    and was it important, and how is it different now you don't have dreads?

I dont look like a hippy, then again i dont (or at least didnt) identify myself as one either. As posted in the other thread, most times my head is shaved with clippers, no guard every couple of weeks.
    Ill usually (ie pretty much always) be found in some sort of band t shirt and jeans wearing riggers. If its cold ill have a hoodie on, the favourite two being a 15odd year old ratbike.org one with most of the screen printing worn off, or a cradle of filth one similarly aged.
    Variations on this include a camo jacket on top if its really cold, dm's or very occasionally trainers (black!) Also occasionally ill lose the jeans and wear camo trousers, but not at the same time as the jacket.
    When i had my bike it was dm's, camo trousers and leather jacket.

I often get called a scruff and get asked why dont i buy some new gear?, or have you just finished work? when im out - luckily i dont give a fuck what they think. The misuse has also accepted the way i dress a long time ago, i got riggers for my birthday the other year...
    The following users think this post is groovy: EnfysaDafaid, roddew, snowmoose

i'm thinking, anyone can buy the look.........but what does it actually mean? is being 'different' in hippy/festie/traveller circles actually now conforming? like bikers or skinheads etc.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander

Originally Posted by groove
    aha, step up, that's kind of what i've been thinking about, you 'looked' more hippy to others maybe, but were you more hippy or did you feel more hippy, and if so, why?
    and was it important, and how is it different now you don't have dreads?
    Nope I'm just me, tbh I don't know who I am, I'm just me

The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

I don't know... Do I?

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar
    I don't look like a hippy , nor would I want too , its whats in side the person that matters , not how they look . Wear what you feel comfortable in . Thats wot I say . Innit
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, Ecobob, itinerant child, Lightbringer, skydog

Originally Posted by realnutter
    I don't know... Do I?
    no, i don't think so.......... but you act like one.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by ma bungo
    I don't look like a hippy , nor would I want too , its whats in side the person that matters , not how they look . Wear what you feel comfortable in . Thats wot I say . Innit
    you do............
    The following users think this post is groovy: realnutter

I don't. I find some hippies can be quite 'conformist' in that you can be made to feel like you don't fit in if you don't dress in the appropriate clothing and have the right hairstyle etc. Bollocks to those people though.
    The following users think this post is groovy: groove, Lightbringer, realnutter

sorry, just pondering.
    i have 'hippy' clothes, colourful stuff etc, but thinking about what to take with me to norfolk, none of it is really as warm and windproof as my stuff bought from equestrian shops apart from my big 20 0dd yr old rainbow jumper which is now biodegrading sadly.......i'm pretty much jeans, t shirt and any old hoodie these days........and a big warm waterproof coat and a hat...........boots are available for any eventuality lol........from air wear to cons and stack heel vintage...........lol

Hippy is more of a mindset, not how you look, anyone can put on some hippy looking clothes, but it does not necessarily make them a hippy.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, groove, grumble, Lightbringer, Miss_bee, Nelia, oldkeith, parrotandcrow, roddew, sirenity

Im happiest when I'm wearing more alternative type clothing!I used to wear a suit to work,hair looked pretty normal,no visible piercings.I worked in the town I lived in,so weekends would roll around,and people from my work hardly recognised me if they saw me out and about.I used to be really over the top years ago....headband,bare feet,cheesecloth floor length dresses lol
    I was a biker chick when much younger,jeans,black t shirt with flannel shirt over the top undone.I was a real scruff back then!
    You are the creator of your own reality!
    The following users think this post is groovy: EnfysaDafaid

Heavenly Creature itinerant child's Avatar
    I think that it is more important to be you than to try and be something. I often have a secret smile when I see little groups of " hippies " all telling the world by their style that they are non conformists to normality yet at the same time being trendy by trying to fit into that fashion.

I tend to dress very casually and comfortably,sometimes in colourful tibetan cotton trousers and a t shirt,sometimes maybe smart combat type trousers and a rugby shirt,it depends really what is not dirty or at least what has not made it to the washing bag.

I tend to notice a real hippy by their actions,their eyes and their smile and overall genuine energy.

In my mind it is a bit like being cool. If you have to try to be cool or try to make people think you are cool,you are not !!!

If you are natural,a good person and dont try to be anything other than yourself-thats cool

I will admit that I tend to present myself to the world in a way that shows openess,friendliness,happiness and gives out a positive so that they can feel comfy around me. This image travels well from my casual style.

In response to the question asked - I sometimes look hippyish
    Last edited by itinerant child; 16-05--2017 at 09:26 PM.
    anything is possible,that my friends is a mathematical certainty ;-)
    The following users think this post is groovy: Arctist, Danann, grumble, marshlander, nicklincs, oldkeith, r3ubs, Uncle jhad

Yep....I Defo Be A Colourful Explosion Of Hippy Love And Peace And Flower Power hehehehe
    ))

I Like More The "Woodstock Hippy Style" ...Long Hair ..Flowers In Hair ....Colourful Clothing ...No Panties Or Bras...Wild Child Sort Of Hippydom As Its Really Pretty Too hahahah
    )

And To Me There Seems To Be A Few Hippy Styles Now ..
    Say Like "Woodstock Type Me" ...Then The New Age Hippy Which Seems To Be More Darker Colours And Dreads For Some Or Colourful And Dreads Or Darker With No Dreads And Either Long Hair Or Short Hair With Lots Of Piercings Or Not Etc ..

But Hippy Is More About Spirit Than Clothes I Think And Think Its More About Choice And Being Free To Wear What You Love And Enjoy And Feel Comfortable In ..So Go With The Flow And Just Be Happy I Say ..
    ))
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, itinerant child, nicklincs, oldkeith, skydog

Hmmm, lots of hippies saying they are non conformist, but conforming to a dress code of wearing colourful clothes to identify as hippies.

The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer

Originally Posted by rhythm
    Hmmm, lots of hippies saying they are non conformist, but conforming to a dress code of wearing colourful clothes to identify as hippies.

and this is what got me thinking. but historically look back at mods, punks, bikers, teddy boys, psychobillies, townies etc, all conform to a certain image to feel a sense of fitting in, of camaraderie, is the hippy/traveller image any different?
    and, the difference between the hippy and the traveller 'look'........is cloudy but pronounced...........there's another debate.....

again, sorry, too much thinking time on my hands just now lol

Nope. I wouldn't say so.
    But if you could look inside then maybe.
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Originally Posted by Ecobob
    Nope. I wouldn't say so.
    But if you could look inside then maybe.
    do you have a flip top head?
    i'll get my head torch!!

Walking back to happiness ma bungo's Avatar

Originally Posted by groove
    , the difference between the hippy and the traveller 'look'........is cloudy but pronounced...........
    Hippies have dirty feet and travs have dirty fingernails !
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, marshlander

haha, like it, maybe right an' all!
    all the colour has gone from the trav's 30 yr old hippy rainbow clothes.......

i didn't start this to stereotype or take the piss out of stereotypes but i have recently due to life changes taken the piss out of my own self saying i am once again one of the great unwashed, hair unbrushed, in a truck with a dog on a string.........obviously still wearing fabulous boots, as always............

so no offence is intended to anyone, as i said, too much thinking time and a bit of soul searching again. xx

peace and yoghurt...........
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, grumble, ma bungo

Heavenly Creature parrotandcrow's Avatar

I tend to have both. Must be a travelling hippie
    If men bore wings and had black feathers, few would be intelligent enough to be crows.
    The following users think this post is groovy: groove, itinerant child, marshlander

Would a Travelling hippie be like a sort of Schrodinger's hippie, in the sense that you do not know if they have dirty feet or finger nails until you look in the bus
    The following users think this post is groovy: EnfysaDafaid, parrotandcrow

oh touche sir, lol.............