THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Voting: if it is made compulsory what will you do?

Turning On

Voting: if it is made compulsory what will you do?

I don't vote. Please be nice... don't slam me, Im not here for an argument, just interested in people's ideas.
    I believe it is just a matter of time before they make it compulsory here in the UK (and David Icke is no use, all he talks about is the U.S) and so I wondered what your plans are, if any.

Personally, if there is a tiny, ridiculous party that will never get in I'll pick them rather than face prison or a fine. Unless there is a better idea... But if that isnt an option I'll take the fine, I have nothing so they won't get much. And I'll frame and mount my fine bill on proud display like a badge of honour.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(be nice... nasty replies will be reported)
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, Miss_bee

I think I'd vote if it was compulsory and I hadn't planned on doing so. I wouldn't want to part with a single penny of my hard earned money to pay a fine. Or, I would just pretend to put my X on the paper.
    The following users think this post is groovy: rainbow_hermit

We have compulsory attendance if you have not done a postal vote in Australia. Many people spoil their voting papers. Sometimes there is someone I am looking to put last with preference voting that we have here.
    We all lead different lives.

If it became compulsory, then I would do as I do now, not vote! Nobody but nobody will ever get me to vote..

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, rainbow_hermit

I voted once for Roly Gillard .
    I got him to dublicate me some brothers cider tokens in the manner of badges for glasto freebees one year,20p per badge and worth 3.50 each , my girls were asking if they could have a f ew badges when they went out to play away from the campsite

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." - Jerry Garcia
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, parrotandcrow, rainbow_hermit

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Sylak
    "Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." - Jerry Garcia
    How about not choosing either?

Those Mountains that you're carrying, you were only supposed to climb.
    The following users think this post is groovy: aman, rainbow_hermit, Rick69

It would'nt bother me.As Duckman said,its compulsary in Oz,where I'm from,and I've voted a few times in my lifetime.Its no biggie,if they introduce compulsary voting here.
    You are the creator of your own reality!

Heavenly Creature
    So long as you had the choice of a postal vote, compulsory voting should be no problem. You can quietly spoil it at home if you don't want to vote, then post it off.
    Personally I don't think it will be long before an electronic vote is allowed, along with all the problems that could bring...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Miss_bee, rainbow_hermit

Imagine living in an extremely isolated town, every week you go to the only supermarket in the town, the only choice for sustenance is either a pot full of piss, or a bucket of excrement. So you complain to the Manager that you would rather not eat the piss or excrement and would like something better. The Manager turns to you and says that this is the only choice and you must choose between one of the two and you can not have anything else. So as a result, you just end up every week eating piss or excrement, not enjoying it, but you are forced to because it is all that is available.

Kind of like voting, what if you do not agree with the system as a whole, but you are forced to participate in it, because it is all you are offered. So every few years you are the person who has to choose between piss or excrement, because nothing else better is on offer.

Think I would just refuse to vote, I don't think the current system is that good, I'd rather see direct democracy in place, but it is not on offer, we have the technology now where the people can vote for all major decisions, why do we need representatives to do that.

I did vote today, I went for labour, I do not want to see more cuts and Austerity, which the Tories are likely to continue, so labour was my choice. There is no other system on offer, so I have to make do

Heavenly Creature
    The analogy is not quite correct. You have a human need to eat, you certainly have no human need to vote.
    You can't spoil the sort of sustenance you are talking about much further, but you can spoil your vote, and please yourself.
    The following users think this post is groovy: marshlander, Rick69, Sootyfoot

Originally Posted by oldkeith
    The analogy is not quite correct. You have a human need to eat, you certainly have no human need to vote.
    You can't spoil the sort of sustenance you are talking about much further, but you can spoil your vote, and please yourself.
    A system where you are forced to put something on a piece paper is just stupid, the choice is taken away a little, screw the piece of paper and just don't bother if you do not want to. You should have the choice not to turn up at a polling station and mark a bit of paper. Plus the fact, it is a waste of time counting spoiled papers. Just look at how many people voted by those who turn up by choice, you then then see quicker how many folk do not give a flying monkey about the current system in place.

I can't see how being forced to vote can be part of a healthy democracy..
    The following users think this post is groovy: FriedOnion, rainbow_hermit

Agreed. Forcing citizens to take part in state elections under penalty of punishment does not make that country more democratic.
    The following users think this post is groovy: rainbow_hermit, Sootyfoot

Afloat ... or adrift? marshlander's Avatar
    There's always the "none of the above" option ...
    The following users think this post is groovy: Rick69, Sootyfoot

Heavenly Creature
    If you didn't register to vote, how would they know you hadn't voted?

Heavenly Creature
    Compulsory voting is a small item in one's life anyway, even if it existed: once every four or five years you are told to attend a polling station and put a mark on a bit of paper, or spoil it, and then walk free. Not really much of a problem, is it? There are far more constricting laws and would-be laws in this country of ours already, so compulsory voting would be small fry.

When you think about voting, compulsory or otherwise, remember that in the not-too-distant past if you were a working person you would have been given no chance whatsoever to vote, but would have been ordered about by those in power far more forcefully than we are today. It was voting, amongst other things, that changed all that.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Fire-Tree, marshlander, yazz

Heavenly Creature
    i have always voted i think its important council an national i encourage my daughter an now eldest grandson but who they vote for is up to them have always voted for the same party but you should not be made to vote

Yeah your right..
    ..I agree. Vote for what exactly - their all meally mouthed lyin toads.. If you don't believe me -
    Next time (really clock 'em on the box) -if u can b bothered.....

Take the mickey.. After all that would be a joke.
    I can't vote for people I don't believe in...They r all the same just different colours and teams.
    An only the richest team would get into power.. As money can buy anything.
    An any good team with a virtually sound an promising manistfesto..
    Would lose.. (Even if everyone voted for them.).
    Because Genuine Honest an True - Can't govern - an they would be destroyed by the decievers one way or another - an not gain their rightful place at the top to make things better

Heavenly Creature
    so you dont vote then sexykaz i take it

I still would not vote.

PⒶUL
    PⒶUL

Heavenly Creature
    cant see a problem with that Paul would have thought a lot of people on here would vote for the green party

In France, many people spoil their voting slip on purpose!