THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Voting: if it is made compulsory what will you do?

Jesus is not your friend Fire-Tree's Avatar
    I'd vote.

I survive by hiding in plain sight.
    Blog: Experiencing England in a car with no money
    The following users think this post is groovy: alices wonderland, ConfusedTiger

It wouldn't be a problem for me as I vote anyway but I can't see how this would work. For a start not everyone who doesn't vote does so because they don't want to, people forget or suddenly find they are unable to get to the polling station (for whatever reason) should those people be punished too? Also making everyone vote won't have the effect people hope it will have, some people might chose to vote for one of the main parties if forced too but I suspect a lot of people if forced to vote would use it as a protest vote, largely because they were being forced to do something they didn't want to do. You can never really get anyone to enjoy doing anything by threatening them with punishment if they don't do it. I think politicians are sensible enough to know they'd be opening a can of worms by going down that route.
    do I dare disturb the universe?
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

i don't vote out of principal, if i was forced i would give a vote of no confidence.
    as we've seen with the spoiling ballots in France, it backfired big time because they ended up with a president that nobody actually wanted.

voting is a privilege, not a chore. if you don't have confidence in someone that's clearly lying to get a job (and won't be pulled up on it) then who can really blame you?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by twistoflemon
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    It wouldn't be a problem for me as I vote anyway but I can't see how this would work. For a start not everyone who doesn't vote does so because they don't want to, people forget or suddenly find they are unable to get to the polling station (for whatever reason) should those people be punished too? Also making everyone vote won't have the effect people hope it will have, some people might chose to vote for one of the main parties if forced too but I suspect a lot of people if forced to vote would use it as a protest vote, largely because they were being forced to do something they didn't want to do. You can never really get anyone to enjoy doing anything by threatening them with punishment if they don't do it. I think politicians are sensible enough to know they'd be opening a can of worms by going down that route.
    most politicians aren't even smart enough to realise what will cause social outrage, this is why social care and disability aid keeps being targeted but expat oap's get to relax on the beach with their winter fuel payment
    Last edited by ConfusedTiger; 22-09--2017 at 02:38 PM.

If you are officially contactable at the time such legislation may come in then you may have a problem. If not enforcement will be high on impossible. I am pretty sure there will be a long enough warning period to put yourself in whichever of the two positions you wish to be in.

Making voting compulsory wont change the overall results because the average 45% of the electorate who dont vote either dont want to or have no political opinions and dont care.Youll just have 40% of spoiled votes (all you have to do is put x on everybox or scribble all over it )and its a load of unnecessary redtape....just a huge job and fines creation scheme (which governments seem to be pretty good at.)I used to be very politically motivated but 40+ years of seeing the overall ststus quo maintained thorough collusion of all parties Ive lost interest and ive no intention of being on any electoral register when ive no intention of voting as its just a other database for governments to use and sell.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

there would be nothing to gain for the Tories from forcing people to vote, if Mayhem announced before the next election that voting was compulsory then most people who wouldn't have voted anyway would vote against her (some might vote UKIP or another protest vote but a significant amount would vote for Corbyn), and all the UKIP defectors would go back there. One of the reasons why Labour did well in the last election was because a lot of young people who otherwise would not have voted were inspired by Jeremy Corbyn and by having a real choice for once. It's in the Tories best interest to have lower voter turnout (at least amongst the youth vote) as conservative minded people tend to vote. If voting had been made compulsary before the last election then the result would have been even worse for the Tories. On the other hand if Corbyn became PM and then announced that voting was compulsory then he would lose pretty much everyone who voted for him thinking he was going to change politics. It won't happen
    do I dare disturb the universe?
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann, oldkeith

Not Quite a Noobie
    you could you make your vote void by voting for a minority party that you feel will never win!
    The following users think this post is groovy: Danann

Originally Posted by twistoflemon
    there would be nothing to gain for the Tories from forcing people to vote, if Mayhem announced before the next election that voting was compulsory then most people who wouldn't have voted anyway would vote against her (some might vote UKIP or another protest vote but a significant amount would vote for Corbyn), and all the UKIP defectors would go back there. One of the reasons why Labour did well in the last election was because a lot of young people who otherwise would not have voted were inspired by Jeremy Corbyn and by having a real choice for once. It's in the Tories best interest to have lower voter turnout (at least amongst the youth vote) as conservative minded people tend to vote. If voting had been made compulsary before the last election then the result would have been even worse for the Tories. On the other hand if Corbyn became PM and then announced that voting was compulsory then he would lose pretty much everyone who voted for him thinking he was going to change politics. It won't happen
    No.i agree it won t happen because compulsion always has the opposite effect of what is trying to be achieved. Its been of no benefit to the Australians,theyve still got clueless idiots running the country just like we have.
    People are mostly disengaged ftom the political process anyway.The only time they engage en masse is when they seriously dislike the sitting government...so to punish the sitting government they vote in one thats even worse.....
    Slow hand claps all round,back to the hamster wheel and moan about the weather..Ill vote if theres a free marijauna for all party.
    Last edited by NomadicRT; 25-09--2017 at 12:38 AM.
    Hebridean at heart..everywhere else is just somewhere on the way back there...

If It Was "Forced/Compulsory" ...
    Then I Would "NOT" Vote And Never Vote.
    Because I Fight For My Own And All Others Free Will And Free Choices And Free Will And Free Thinking And Free LOVE Etc Etc.

Always Have And Always Will..
    So Whatever They Say Or They Do...
    Nothing Will Ever Take That Away From Me.
    So They Can "Fine Or Sentence Etc"
    Whatever They Choose Or Did...
    Cos I Never Will Be Forced To Do Or Become Something I Naturally Fight Against And Dont Believe In Ever No Matter What They Did To Me.

So If That Ever Was To Become Forced/Compulsory
    Then I Would "Not And Never Vote Again"
    As Nobody Or Anything Should Ever Be Forced And Have There "Freedom Of Choices" Taken Away
    Form From The Void & Mists
    The following users think this post is groovy: parrotandcrow

If forced to vote, whether by post or in person, I feel there should be the option of ‘None of the above’. I doubt if it would make a difference but it would show that the available options aren’t any good either.

Voting must be compulsory, and there must be a penalty if you don't. If you choose not to vote. You loose a right to comment on any social issues at all. Harsh I know but never forget good people died to give you this right. Use it or loose it.

Originally Posted by Markko
    ...but never forget good people died to give you this right.
    People did not die to give me the right to vote. People died to give me the choice.
    Last edited by Rick69; 01-10--2017 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Fix quote
    The following users think this post is groovy: emmadilemma, NomadicRT

Originally Posted by Markko
    Voting must be compulsory, and there must be a penalty if you don't. If you choose not to vote. You loose a right to comment on any social issues at all. Harsh I know but never forget good people died to give you this right. Use it or loose it.
    Give me a politician to vote for that's not a lying piece of shit and i might vote for them but otherwise i'll exercise my right to abstain thanks.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, parrotandcrow

'what would you do?'. well I've being spoiling my ballot paper for the last decade or so! You can tell when politians are lying, because you can see their lips moving.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Markthemod

As you have to be on the electoral roll here to vote and I'm not I can't vote anyway.

If voting were made mandatory I think I would stand in the election, and give myself and other unwilling voters a silly none-of-the-above type option.

If they remove your ability protest by abstinence, then making a mockery of the institution through satirical compliance is a good protest too.

I think I'd quite relish making up a completely nonsense manifesto!