Thread: Handmade Hippy Clothes

Lightbulb Handmade Hippy Clothes

A thread where people can post about clothes that they have made/making, ideas, inspiration and how to vids can also be shared here, although please keep the theme hippy/boho/alternative, thankyou
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is something that I made from a large scarf. Depending on how much fabric you have there are numerous types/shapes of garments which fall under the 'kimono' radar. (I think pretty much anything that resembles a coat or cardigain without fastenings can be defined as such).
    Last edited by SpandangledKitti; 29-06--2017 at 01:42 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Cobra, Sharon

Heavenly Creature
    This is a great thread Spandangled - yeah I love simple clothing shapes........peasant/gypsy style that can be adjustable and customisable to suit individual shapes, size, height etc..........non of this size-ist fashion crap.

I am working on some designs at the moment, for gender neutral shirts and over shirts....and got some natural Myrobalan plant dye, to colour calico a kind of creamy buckskin like shade and will do some Hendrix style fringing and then colour accessories, like First Nation US style ........ I love native arts from all over mother planet.

Will post sketches soon and see if I can work some samples up with constructive crit help from fellows UKH

Big Love
    The following users think this post is groovy: Lightbringer, SpandangledKitti

Heavenly Creature
    just thought I'd post a little bit of nonsense about my work in progress.....it all looks very all over the place and incoherent.....but that's often the way - until I get a firm grip on what on earth I'm trying to do

Anyway, bear with, bear with - I do have some longstanding ideas about one size/adjustable hippy gear.....some dress things for the feminine side and then some gender neutral pattern themes for nice big comfortable, groovy classic shirts and/or sleeveless peasant tops. So lots to do, gotta convert my bedroom half into a pattern cutting place, for ironing and cutting fabric and the kitchen and bathroom will be getting some severe work done in the dyeing and printing side............thank heavens my partner has the patience of a saint - or I'd be on the sodding street

Coupla vids....one of my workroom.......one of a small collection of inspirations, that I hope might communicate love of all things hippy and love xxx

- - - Updated - - -

The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, Offgrid hero, oldkeith, roddew

Heavenly Creature
    bit more n then I'll pack it in - and BTW,
    is a holding page, but welcome page, comments, other discussion and links pages will be soon be running (I hope) as I try to build something peeps might be interested in and find creatively useful:

Last edited by verticalis48; 13-07--2017 at 02:17 AM.

Originally Posted by verticalis48
    just thought I'd post a little bit of nonsense about my work in progress.....it all looks very all over the place and incoherent.....but that's often the way - until I get a firm grip on what on earth I'm trying to do

Anyway, bear with, bear with - I do have some longstanding ideas about one size/adjustable hippy gear.....some dress things for the feminine side and then some gender neutral pattern themes for nice big comfortable, groovy classic shirts and/or sleeveless peasant tops. So lots to do, gotta convert my bedroom half into a pattern cutting place, for ironing and cutting fabric and the kitchen and bathroom will be getting some severe work done in the dyeing and printing side............thank heavens my partner has the patience of a saint - or I'd be on the sodding street

Coupla vids....one of my workroom.......one of a small collection of inspirations, that I hope might communicate love of all things hippy and love xxx

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Verticalis, I've had a good look through some of your inspo boards on drop box and absolutely feeling so so inspired. Also groovy workspace and another also what is the name of that lovely song on the ojalah website?

Love the structure on this coat...

(I need to try and find a tutorial on how to bulk up skirt/coat/long tops to give this effect and when I do i'll post vid links).

Like the idea of making a few items like this in the run up to autumn...

I'm looking at making a sewing pattern for something like this ...

The true natives of old America sure knew a thing or two about cloth craftmanship, their traditional embroidery patterns are so beautiful and ornate
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT, verticalis48

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by SpandangledKitti
    The true natives of old America sure knew a thing or two about cloth craftmanship, their traditional embroidery patterns are so beautiful and ornate
    Lovely to hear from a fellow soul - I was beginning to think yet again that I was on my own little planet "weird".....thanks SpandangledKitti. I just put a link to stuff I was doing 30 years ago when my mind was well in outer space and I had no anchors at all. Then I went onto Paxil and started "working for the man".

Anyway - years on (nearly murdered by the retail environment) am looking to make some gender neutrtal hippy inspired gear that could be worn in the workplace, on the street, in public without getting yo ass and yo head kicked in for being a lover not a hater.

Thanks for your encouragement - will go on sweeties (you, n Lightbringer n Offgrid hero) x

Last edited by verticalis48; 13-07--2017 at 02:02 PM.
    The following users think this post is groovy: NomadicRT

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by SpandangledKitti
    Hi Verticalis, I've had a good look through some of your inspo boards on drop box and absolutely feeling so so inspired. Also groovy workspace and another also what is the name of that lovely song on the ojalah website? Love the structure on this coat...
    (I need to try and find a tutorial on how to bulk up skirt/coat/long tops to give this effect and when I do i'll post vid links). Like the idea of making a few items like this in the run up to autumn...

I'm looking at making a sewing pattern for something like this ...
    Cheers Spandangled.....groovy reply. Hey I could really do with a bit of collaboration on this to help me kickstart the first pattern design...it's really hard to keep driving the thing totally on your own.

If you're up for working together on the first "one size" "adjustable" "groovy" top/dress pattern (as per the 3 pics you like), would you pm me and we could talk strategy ? example (I have fabric sat here ready for experimenting/prototyping with) if I were to send you a drawing and ask you for your measurements at specific points - I could make an initial toile and sample and send to you for you to try out/test drive.....just a thought

Heavenly Creature
    Hi again Spandangled, re the music, it is Indiajiva

I've also put a dropbox link to the musics I used onsite:

Last edited by verticalis48; 15-07--2017 at 06:35 AM. Reason: this flipping site keeps dropping text copy when posting
    The following users think this post is groovy: itinerant child, ma bungo

Heavenly Creature
    Oh Spandangled, forgot to make it clear.....not talking money or anything grubby like that, just co-operation and joint endeavour kinda thing. If you helped with some dimensions (might ask Lightbringer, Miss_bee, Cobra, Friday and Rainbow_hermit, n Angio n anyone else if they'd do the same) - to try make a groovy adjustable multi-purpose customisable wearable.....and we could even have a get together and take some pics and do some accessorising. Wonder how many different shapes and sizes and heights we all are......

anyway, probably just another crazy Vertiginous idea from Planet Weird Shit
    Last edited by verticalis48; 15-07--2017 at 03:34 PM.

Heavenly Creature
    oh n Groove and Cricket but there waz a falling out.......but hope it can be mended some day maybe......you gotta live in hopes of things all being o.k. in the end

I'm up for it, I'm 5ft7.5 and a size 24 chest and 20 waist. You can get some cheap one sized clothes on skipton market, maybe you could unstitch one and use it as a basic outline?

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    I'm up for it, I'm 5ft7.5 and a size 24 chest and 20 waist. You can get some cheap one sized clothes on skipton market, maybe you could unstitch one and use it as a basic outline?
    Brilliant.....cheers babe, I'm going to do a drawing showing where I'd like you to measure....if you can borrow a flexible tape measure. It'll be like height, chest, waist, hips.......but also where your curves are if any, in relation to each other so I can work out where to put the adjusting pieces.

Also, length from back of neck to lower back and arm length + circumference around upper arms and wrist....it'll be more clear when you see the drawing. Will try get the thing done by the next weekend.

Remind me when Skipton market is best day ? would be a great cheap way of messing with first shapes and not worrying about wasting dosh or good fabric.....then I can save the better fabric for the proper sample making up.....groovy

Ta for your enthusiasm sweetie....really appreciated. It'd be lovely to get a shape made that anyone could feel and look fab in - that was comfy, hard wearing but feminine and fine, with style and grace - not this "fashion shit" that makes us all feel like freaks and ugly.
    laters...

Heavenly Creature

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
    my god you're tiny.......I thought you were big like me.......well I'm not coming streaking with you babe - I'd look like elephant auntie
    xxx

Brilliant.....cheers babe, I'm going to do a drawing showing where I'd like you to measure....if you can borrow a flexible tape measure. It'll be like height, chest, waist, hips.......but also where your curves are if any, in relation to each other so I can work out where to put the adjusting pieces.

Also, length from back of neck to lower back and arm length + circumference around upper arms and wrist....it'll be more clear when you see the drawing. Will try get the thing done by the next weekend.

Remind me when Skipton market is best day ? would be a great cheap way of messing with first shapes and not worrying about wasting dosh or good fabric.....then I can save the better fabric for the proper sample making up.....groovy

Ta for your enthusiasm sweetie....really appreciated. It'd be lovely to get a shape made that anyone could feel and look fab in - that was comfy, hard wearing but feminine and fine, with style and grace - not this "fashion shit" that makes us all feel like freaks and ugly.
    laters...
    Sorry only just seen this, you can measure me when I come to yours and I'll bring my one size clothes with me x

oh n Groove and Cricket but there waz a falling out.......but hope it can be mended some day maybe......you gotta live in hopes of things all being o.k. in the end

huh??? falling out when and how and with whom?

confused.groove