THIS WEBSITE NEEDS YOU - SERIOUSLY!
This website is perpetually in arrears & will not survive without regular donations! Of course, we appreciate not all of you are in the same financial position, but we do have over 18000 members & if just half of you donated we would never have to worry about money again. We value your support, so if you can afford it please stop us worrying by making a donation. There is a thread on running costs here.

Thread: What the most reliable van to buy to travel in

What the most reliable van to buy to travel in

Been looking to buy a van to travel/work/live
    In your opinions what's best van to buy

-- Posted from the
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    --

There's no definitive answer to that question other than a bargain.
    even a gypsy caravan is too much settling down.

Heavenly Creature
    You can't go wrong with a banana engined transit or LDV. The banana (2.5 DI diesel) runs and runs. Rust can be an issue with both.

exiled cornishman wandering gypsy's Avatar
    the one you can afford

You get what you pay for and they all have their drawbacks. Buy old and you need to source spares, deal with rust and regular fettling.
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I had a hankering for a Bedford TK but age was against it apart from finding a good one and modern kit despite the barstard electronics is a far better ride, less servicing time and better bodies although Mercs, supposedly best engines, and Fords still rot. I run a Trafic (injectors stick in the head fault but up to 20,000 miles a year no sweat) and a Master, just picked up a Movano. Good metalwork and popular.
    Not all who wander are lost

Studies in Australia based on the number warranty claims , factory recalls and service call outs show Toyota to be no 1 and I think Hyundai to be no2. Having said that during the GFC a few years ago they started taking short cuts and started have factory recalls.They are still about the best in this regard.

The main drawback is they cost more new than new comparable vehicles.
    I find Toyotas easier to work on the other brands. The price of replacement parts is dearer than Ford but not as dear as Mitsubishi or Subaru.

I once saw an RZH Hiace on E-bay with 500,000 km on the clock with 19 bids go for just under $2000.
    We all lead different lives.
    The following users think this post is groovy: Offgrid hero

Thank you everyone for replies
    Keep them coming please
    Looking to buy end of September so need as much info as poss

-- Posted from the
    --

Not Quite a Noobie
    I would second the 2.5Di LDV. Solid motor and decent MPG. Rust is an issue, as is leaking water into the cab, but cheap and very realiable once given a full service. Love mine, just got back to UK after driving 4000 miles around Spain and never let me down!

Originally Posted by Nomadic-hippy
    as is leaking water into the cab
    Can be fixed!!! But ditch the horrid spongey floor mat so any water that does leak in doesn't stay!

And bag the ecu and turn upside down, you really dont want any water in there!

VW t4